The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,432 of 6,349
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_gel_ear_pad.htm

Well Thomann have them, they call it a Gel earpad and it fits several of their models. If the sound of these varies ever so slightly from the Annie versions I might be miffed paying £80 extra to make my 712's sound like a cheaper pair. Damn, that's a lot of money for a pad, £39.05 each. 

AKG seem to be very good with the slight of hand. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,433 of 6,349
Well, I just purchased the Q701 for $200 recently from Amazon, I still have 3 weeks to return them... I'm absolutely loving the sound, but hating the comfort (ear pads being too hard on my cheekbones, causing pain), do you guys think I should return them and pick up the K712 Pro's for $390?   Or... would it be better to go with Anniversary pads?  Or 712 pads?  Are the pads on one better than the other? 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,434 of 6,349
  Well, I just purchased the Q701 for $200 recently from Amazon, I still have 3 weeks to return them... I'm absolutely loving the sound, but hating the comfort (ear pads being too hard on my cheekbones, causing pain), do you guys think I should return them and pick up the K712 Pro's for $390?   Or... would it be better to go with Anniversary pads?  Or 712 pads?  Are the pads on one better than the other? 

Trying different pads or breaking in the pads will work. But the problem with the Q701 pads is that they take like a month of moderate use to soften up enough to be very comfortable. The Annie pads and the K712 pads are softer, they will also change the sound.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,436 of 6,349

I do find my Annie to comfort to be too hard on me too but later on, I don't feel anything anymore xD

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,437 of 6,349

Trying different pads or breaking in the pads will work. But the problem with the Q701 pads is that they take like a month of moderate use to soften up enough to be very comfortable. The Annie pads and the K712 pads are softer, they will also change the sound.

I wonder if it's worth the extra $100 for the K712 though.   I figure, the pads will cost me around $75 or so total... so my cost for the Q701 will be $275 or so.   Perhaps just better to "upgrade" to the K712.  Not sure if the 712 is an upgrade.  

I do find my Annie to comfort to be too hard on me too but later on, I don't feel anything anymore xD

The Annie's have mem foam...figure softer than the Q701 pads.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #2,438 of 6,349
The 712 is a really, really good 'phone.

Yes, I'm continuing to be impressed after a few months.  And I've owned several different $1000+ phones in the past as well as K701 and K702 65th.  Not saying it's better than the big flagships, but a really amazing value.  I really can't wait to upgrade my DAC again since I downgraded to a Schiit Modi awhile back.  The Modi with battery does alright but I think a Concero HD with battery will really show me what the K712 is capable of.  I was considering also buying something like an LCD-X or K812 but I think I'm going to get a new Macbook Pro instead for my music and casual use computer since I'm using a big noisy desktop gaming PC as my main source at the moment.

I am still considering an HE-500 to compliment the K712, though I haven't yet had the opportunity to hear one.  I've owned an HE-6 though but not sure how big the gap between the two is.  And depending on how the DAC upgrade affects the K712, I may have no desire for the HE-500.  Time will tell though, I think it could be a good compliment to the K712.  Does anyone here own both of them?

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,439 of 6,349

As did I. Is yours made in China? If it is, that's a main reason for the discomfort. So I'd highly advise NOT to upgrade the pads, as you'll still have discomfort. I'd just go for the Annie's or K712, and ditch the Q701. They sound better anyway, and the headband is miles better... as is the feeling and shape of the pads (going off the Annie anyway, haven't owned the K712).

I've been discussing the differences of the Austria and China Q701 over in the appreciation thread. Perhaps that is why they lowered them down to $200? Makes total sense now that I think of it...

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,440 of 6,349

As did I. Is yours made in China? If it is, that's a main reason for the discomfort. So I'd highly advise NOT to upgrade the pads, as you'll still have discomfort. I'd just go for the Annie's or K712, and ditch the Q701. They sound better anyway, and the headband is miles better... as is the feeling and shape of the pads (going off the Annie anyway, haven't owned the K712).

I've been discussing the differences of the Austria and China Q701 over in the appreciation thread. Perhaps that is why they lowered them down to $200? Makes total sense now that I think of it...

Hmm... mine say Made in Austria on the side.   Do some say Made in China?   The K712's are supposed to sound different, I'm wondering just how different, and whether that huge openess is still there. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,441 of 6,349

Hmm... mine say Made in Austria on the side.   Do some say Made in China?   The K712's are supposed to sound different, I'm wondering just how different, and whether that huge openess is still there. 

Glad you got that version. But yeah, I've heard reports of AKG headphones being made in China now, and I can confirm there is indeed a difference between the two versions.

I've had comfort issues with the K601, K612, K701, and Q701, but I really loved the comfort of the Annie. K712 should be even better due to deeper earpads. The earpads are excellent, and are much softer/squishier than the Q701's hard foam earpads. That combined with the smooth headband really does make the world of difference. Gotta love the warmer, fuller-bodied sound too. And it's also nice not to have it celebrity branded.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,442 of 6,349

Glad you got that version. But yeah, I've heard reports of AKG headphones being made in China now, and I can confirm there is indeed a difference between the two versions.

I've had comfort issues with the K601, K612, K701, and Q701, but I really loved the comfort of the Annie. K712 should be even better due to deeper earpads. The earpads are excellent, and are much softer/squishier than the Q701's hard foam earpads. That combined with the smooth headband really does make the world of difference. Gotta love the warmer, fuller-bodied sound too. And it's also nice not to have it celebrity branded.

That makes me a little hesitant to return my Q701's then.  Sound is fantastic.  But I went ahead and placed the order for the K712's.  I'm hoping Amazon's stellar return policy holds when I return the 5 pairs of $250-415 headphones I bought from them this week.  I feel a little guilty, but I'm indecisive, and I did ask a rep before ordering whether or not there would be a problem with me ordering a few sets, trying them, and returning the ones I wasn't happy with... the rep said no problem.  Hassle free return if I'm not satisfied.

I think ordering the 712's is best though... while I still have my Q701's I can both test the 712's on their own, and try their pads on the Q701.

edit:  I may also keep the Fidelio X1's... I'm not sure, something I like about them... I love the build quality and comfort.  Sound is a little muffled for me though. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,443 of 6,349

That makes me a little hesitant to return my Q701's then.  Sound is fantastic.  But I went ahead and placed the order for the K712's.  I'm hoping Amazon's stellar return policy holds when I return the 5 pairs of $250-415 headphones I bought from them this week.  I feel a little guilty, but I'm indecisive, and I did ask a rep before ordering whether or not there would be a problem with me ordering a few sets, trying them, and returning the ones I wasn't happy with... the rep said no problem.  Hassle free return if I'm not satisfied.

I think ordering the 712's is best though... while I still have my Q701's I can both test the 712's on their own, and try their pads on the Q701.

edit:  I may also keep the Fidelio X1's... I'm not sure, something I like about them... I love the build quality and comfort.  Sound is a little muffled for me though. 

Oh, it'll hold. I've returned many more than 5 pairs of headphones... although, I'd spread them out a bit better in the future and give them other means of business. 
wink.gif

Besides, Amazon is knocking out smaller businesses left and right. They're obligated to give buyers the benefit of the doubt, and deserve the fallout of returns.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two when you have them both. I'm certain you'll appreciate the added benefits the K712 brings to the table. I'm banking on you'll like the sound better too!
BTW, I think the Annie is much more comfortable than the X1, but think the X1 beats the Q701 in that same regard. Personally for sound, I'd say: Annie > Q701 >>> X1

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #2,444 of 6,349

Oh, it'll hold. I've returned many more than 5 pairs of headphones... although, I'd spread them out a bit better in the future and give them other means of business. 
wink.gif

Besides, Amazon is knocking out smaller businesses left and right. They're obligated to give buyers the benefit of the doubt, and deserve the fallout of returns.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two when you have them both. I'm certain you'll appreciate the added benefits the K712 brings to the table. I'm banking on you'll like the sound better too!
BTW, I think the Annie is much more comfortable than the X1, but think the X1 beats the Q701 in that same regard. Personally for sound, I'd say: Annie > Q701 >>> X1

Glad the hear that... at this rate I could have purchased the much praised HD800.  
biggrin.gif
  After testing the different pairs, I'm very impressed by the budget Q701, I'm really looking forward to the K712.  I'll have them Tuesday thanks to Prime... will definitely post back with impressions.  

I love the material of the X1's cushions... I'm hoping the K712's or Annie's have a similar feel to them.   I wasn't floored by the sound, the Q701's definitely sound better to me.  I mean, they do sound great... really nice in fact... but just muffled, more like closed back.  The bass seemed to muddy it up a bit too.  But I continue to like them.  I tested the HD650 too... wasn't impressed.  For $415, they're going back.  

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #2,445 of 6,349

wink.gif

Good to know you prefer the Annie to the X1. I almost got the X1 but then stretched my budget to the K712 when I was able to get it for $385. I wish I could hear the Annie again on my current Soloist amp. When I had them I drove them with an Audio-GD SA-31 so it's hard to tell if the K712 is really that much better or just the amp. I'm guessing the latter. But the sound with Soloist + K712 is much better to my ears than SA-31 + Annie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back