The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Nov 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #991 of 2,841
Hi,
I bought mine a couple of days ago, and while I needed some time to get used to the bright sound sig (at least compared to my Senn HD555), I must say that I am very, very positively impressed.
The headphones look very nice, are very well built and sound extremely well.
For the price I paid (120€ second hand), I did not expect such SQ.
Oh and the bass on this thing is to die for! I've never heard such organic drum kick as on those :D

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #992 of 2,841
  Hi,
I bought mine a couple of days ago, and while I needed some time to get used to the bright sound sig (at least compared to my Senn HD555), I must say that I am very, very positively impressed.
The headphones look very nice, are very well built and sound extremely well.
For the price I paid (120€ second hand), I did not expect such SQ.
Oh and the bass on this thing is to die for! I've never heard such organic drum kick as on those :D

interesting.

my only comparison to the akg k550 is also a hd555 and i must say that the sennheiser provide much better kick bass.
so drums sound much harder, fuller, just more fun.

what i noticed is that the akg can provide a very clean sub bass if i use the equalizer on my stereo amp. cranking the bass up gives them realy nice and clean bass, the sennheiser just get extremly boomy and a little bit distorted.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #994 of 2,841
  Great headphones for chilled out listening.
I'm selling mine though.

just a few days ago i thought the same, now i´m listening to queens another bites the dust and i´m just blown away ^^

my love for these cans totally depends on my mood and the chosen song. poorly mastered songs just sound awful, metal is no big fun with these headphones. (not impliing that every metal album is poorly mastered, but unfurtunately a lot of them are)

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #996 of 2,841

interesting.

my only comparison to the akg k550 is also a hd555 and i must say that the sennheiser provide much better kick bass.

what i noticed is that the akg can provide a very clean sub bass if i use the equalizer on my stereo amp. cranking the bass up gives them realy nice and clean bass, the sennheiser just get extremly boomy and a little bit distorted.

Are you wearing glasses, by any chance? I noticed that when I wear my glasses, the earpads are not perfectly sealed on my ears, thus reducing the bass.

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #997 of 2,841
No glasses and rather short hair (2-10mm)

Mostly i´m very satisfied with the bass the akg deliver (depends on the song/recording) and i use it as my main headphone, it´s just that the sennheiser kick really hard :wink:

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #998 of 2,841

interesting.

This. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,000 of 2,841

That is exactly my problem with K550, portable amp like Fiio.
I can't stand the treble glare with this setup. I gotta EQ my
collection like crazy. Bifrost/Asgard 2 seems to pair well with my K550.

With the Fiio, my K550 sounds amazing. I'm not sure what this "treble glare" you are talking about. If it is the same treble spike everyone been complaining about, I'm loving it.

It's the perfect amount of treble for me. No more, no less.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,001 of 2,841
I was really close to putting my K550 up for sale, I actually took a few photos for the ad. I just couldn't get the k550 to fit right. The slightest movement would cause me to lose the seal and lose pretty much all the bass. I had tried bending the headband but that didn't seem to work. Suddenly I got the idea to bend the headband at the points where it meets the speakers instead of the middle. Problem solved! They now have more clamping force and a perfect seal plus they sound awesome enough for me to keep in the stable. For those that haven't tried bending the headband at the edges instead of the middle and are struggling with the fit, give it a try. First adjust the size and then bend at the insertion point on each side.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,002 of 2,841
  Well I have installed a set of EP-007 ear pads on them.... WOW.... no need to say more... Fit is even better than the Lawtons. Should get my headband pad soon from munkynutz and will post pics.

LIke many before me I am beginning to realize that these cans were not designed with my head size in mind (I can't seem to get a satisfying seal). That said I truly adore the sound signature of the k550's and wish to upgrade the ear pads. I appreciate that you've shared your insight into alternative options available and, as such, am considering buying a set of the EP-007's. My question is this: how much of an improvement did you notice with the addition of the new pads in terms of isolation and did the added thickness of the new pads help clamping force enough to bring these cans to life? 

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,003 of 2,841
I must say that I'm using them more with the new LCD pads than the ep-007 pads. Both are great but the Audeze pads are softer. Isolation isnt so great but they don't leak sound at all, or very few. To me it's an obvious step up from the original (VERY CRAP) AKG K550 pads. The pads are angled as well, so you have more ease with the fit. Can't say I've heard any difference with the sound, although there is probably some (The original pads are round and the Audeze pads are oval). I woudn't be using the K550 anymore if it wasnt from alternate pads to be honest.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,004 of 2,841
  I must say that I'm using them more with the new LCD pads than the ep-007 pads. Both are great but the Audeze pads are softer. Isolation isnt so great but they don't leak sound at all, or very few. To me it's an obvious step up from the original (VERY CRAP) AKG K550 pads. The pads are angled as well, so you have more ease with the fit. Can't say I've heard any difference with the sound, although there is probably some (The original pads are round and the Audeze pads are oval). I woudn't be using the K550 anymore if it wasnt from alternate pads to be honest.

(VERY CRAP)?

What an exaggeration...
They are quite good pads actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back