The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #976 of 2,841
Too bad... :'( i really thought they would be able to deliver some edm properly (i saw i posto feom malveaux comparing them to the hd598 AMD saying that the k550s would be better for trance...)...

Do you Guys think sennheiser will release bigger para for the momentum like v moda? It would be really Cool....

But it is funny. :). When i first saw the k550 the design is so stealth that my first thought was... Power!!! Guess not after all. Not that that is bad of course. :)

pff I liked mine for edm mind u. Great sub n mind bass!

aldo do the lcd pads address the jaw fit issue

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #977 of 2,841
Too bad... :'( i really thought they would be able to deliver some edm properly (i saw i posto feom malveaux comparing them to the hd598 AMD saying that the k550s would be better for trance...)...

Do you Guys think sennheiser will release bigger para for the momentum like v moda? It would be really Cool....

But it is funny. :). When i first saw the k550 the design is so stealth that my first thought was... Power!!! Guess not after all. Not that that is bad of course. :)

Where do you live in Portugal? Which headphones do you own?

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #979 of 2,841
Actually it is funny. The v6 sounded a bit steryle with no eq, but with some equing they were amazing for edm. To me the major problem of the v6s is that they sound a tad grainy. But for example i thought the m50s were worse balanced than the v6. On the v6s you havê a bit of bass, a bit of mids and emphasizwd treble but overall the balance was okay.

Mini 550 and V6 comparison, the V6 definitely has a brighter/more forward presentation than the 550. After some A/B, definitely noticeable; the mids and treble are more pronounced on the V6. The 550 are a bit more laid back, but the treble is still definitely present, a tad lively, definitely not muted.. The 550's bass though is stronger; more solid, goes deeper. The K550 is definitely the warmer sounding phone of the two.

Versus the Etymotic hf5, again, 550 is warmer. The Ety's bass is more comparable to the Q701, both seem to be quite brutally neutral, in all frequencies, so if a recording has bass, they'll reproduce it, but won't add anything to it, which might often sound 'lean' to some. The K550 definitely adds bass, and has a warmish tone due to it, much more so than the HF5 and Q701. As I said, they're rather laid back, because the mids are a bit further back, but the treble is still present. Bit less so than on the V6, but not that much. Still, the AKG K550 has that AKG sound, fairly balanced on average, might have more bass, but still sounds balanced, go figure!

Overall, I'd say that the Ety HF5 and Q701s definitely have that 'studio monitor' balanced/neutral sound. The V6 is definitely brighter sounding, with some bass bump/hump/boost. The K550 has more bass, extends deeper and is warmer than the 3. Its mid are a little bit more laid back, and with lively treble, but not as much as V6, probably closer to the Q701. Still sounds quite balanced to me. Hope this helps :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #980 of 2,841
Mini 550 and V6 comparison, the V6 definitely has a brighter/more forward presentation than the 550. After some A/B, definitely noticeable; the mids and treble are more pronounced on the V6. The 550 are a bit more laid back, but the treble is still definitely present, a tad lively, definitely not muted.. The 550's bass though is stronger; more solid, goes deeper. The K550 is definitely the warmer sounding phone of the two.

Versus the Etymotic hf5, again, 550 is warmer. The Ety's bass is more comparable to the Q701, both seem to be quite brutally neutral, in all frequencies, so if a recording has bass, they'll reproduce it, but won't add anything to it, which might often sound 'lean' to some. The K550 definitely adds bass, and has a warmish tone due to it, much more so than the HF5 and Q701. As I said, they're rather laid back, because the mids are a bit further back, but the treble is still present. Bit less so than on the V6, but not that much. Still, the AKG K550 has that AKG sound, fairly balanced on average, might have more bass, but still sounds balanced, go figure!

Overall, I'd say that the Ety HF5 and Q701s definitely have that 'studio monitor' balanced/neutral sound. The V6 is definitely brighter sounding, with some bass bump/hump/boost. The K550 has more bass, extends deeper and is warmer than the 3. Its mid are a little bit more laid back, and with lively treble, but not as much as V6, probably closer to the Q701. Still sounds quite balanced to me. Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

This is exactly how I hear things.   Sometimes members describe the sound of a headphone and I have to wonder if they are deaf or if they took some heavy drugs before they put their headphones on.

Great comparison.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #981 of 2,841
I bought my third K550 today... (well technically second, I had the K551, K550) and I just can't believe how much i missed this headphone.

I noticed overtime the headband gives less clamping force, but this pair is like-new and I got it for $99 because there were two tiny scratches on it! I can't believe it... and my ears are happy!

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #983 of 2,841
  I bought my third K550 today... (well technically second, I had the K551, K550) and I just can't believe how much i missed this headphone.

I noticed overtime the headband gives less clamping force, but this pair is like-new and I got it for $99 because there were two tiny scratches on it! I can't believe it... and my ears are happy!

I repeatedly go back to K550 for its moderate clamping force, lack of weight, general hardiness. You can listen to them for hours.
Whereas my T1 would feel heavy and warm after a while. Have you ever tried listing to Audeze for more than an hour?
Neck Fatigue. K550 may not give you imaging & bass like those other 2 but they are still one of the better buys out there.
They needs a good, substantial amp for these to sound their best. Hook them up to a small, portable amp,
the sonic daggers will be out in force. Ouch!

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #984 of 2,841
  Schiit Asgard 2 will tame K550 infamous treble. Just put it on low gain.

Interestingly enough, I am one of those people that just loves the K550 treble/presence. If that is gone, I don't think I will be that attracted to this headphone 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I repeatedly go back to K550 for its moderate clamping force, lack of weight, general hardiness. You can listen to them for hours.
Whereas my T1 would feel heavy and warm after a while. Have you ever tried listing to Audeze for more than an hour?
Neck Fatigue. K550 may not give you imaging & bass like those other 2 but they are still one of the better buys out there.
They needs a good, substantial amp for these to sound their best. Hook them up to a small, portable amp,
the sonic daggers will be out in force. Ouch!

I cant seem to comment properly. I'll reply to you in the post below.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #985 of 2,841
I am the exact opposite of you my friend lol
Even though i am one of those AKG approved heads that I don't have any seal issues, I wish the K550 would have more clamping force =P
I still wish the day when I will audition the Audeze, its definitely at my top most wanted audition list.
I use it with my Fiio E17 and I'm very happy with it.
Sorry for so much of our conflicting views lol :frowning2:

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #987 of 2,841

What could be said is that small-medium heads will find the K550 to have too low clamping force and people with bigger heads will find it just fine or too high. I have a very big head and to me there is no such thing as too little clamping force. All headphones I have put too much pressure on my head, even the K550, although they're the ones with the less clamping force in my inventory. The headband thugh is what I consider a problem over hours of usage. It's now soft enough. In comparison, the T1 have much more clamping force on my head but I could listen to them for hours without a problem as the headband is soft.... very comfy. AKG could have added a few things here and there and add 100 dollars to the headphone price. They would have made themselves a favor as the flaws of this headphone are unforgiving and kind of easy to fix.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #988 of 2,841

Do you prefer the CAL to the Momentum and M50? I had the M50 before as well and liked the sound, but they were too uncomfortable. The K550 are a bit more comfortable.

The cal!s are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more confortable.... but at the same time they are nowhere near well built as the momentum and although they share a similar sound signature in terms of resolution the momentum are once again waaaaaay better.

I also found the m50's not very confortable, but i could handle it.... the worst was the sound and thats why i sold them. I AM NOT SAYING THEY SOUNDED BAD CALM DOWN M50 LOVERS!!!!! They sounded ok and for edm they were quite nice, but for pop and rock the treble to my ears felt a little odd (metalic i guess) and the mids were just too on the back... they were good but they were a bit recessed and when you switch between a headphone like the momentums and the m50's it is easy to see the flaws of the m50's specially on the mids and on the treble... Bass was a bit better than i expected though... not very tight but still much more tight than the cal!'s and not as bad as many here say.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #989 of 2,841

What could be said is that small-medium heads will find the K550 to have too low clamping force and people with bigger heads will find it just fine or too high. I have a very big head and to me there is no such thing as too little clamping force. All headphones I have put too much pressure on my head, even the K550, although they're the ones with the less clamping force in my inventory. The headband thugh is what I consider a problem over hours of usage. It's now soft enough. In comparison, the T1 have much more clamping force on my head but I could listen to them for hours without a problem as the headband is soft.... very comfy. AKG could have added a few things here and there and add 100 dollars to the headphone price. They would have made themselves a favor as the flaws of this headphone are unforgiving and kind of easy to fix.

I gotta disagree again.

I've had the K551, then sold that and bought the K550, then sold that and bought another K550.
I had 3 variations of this K550-551 series and I never had a problem with the headband.  

And what "flaws" do you speak of? I only wish they had more clamping force. Everything about this headphone is perfect.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #990 of 2,841
Those clamping force issues are weird to me since u can bend the headband to adjust the clamping force! Mine does not clamp too hard nor does it lack clamping force as I bent the headband to my liking... but maybe I'm weird... O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back