The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Oct 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #961 of 2,841
  I love the sound of the momentum, i am a neutral guy i guess but i like good bass slam and good treble.

It depends on what you mean by of bass slam.    The Momentum will give you mid-bass slam, while the K550 will give you sub-bass slam.   The bass on these two models is very different.

The HD25 is more like the Momentum than the K550.

This is how I heard things:

Momentum =  Good mid-bass punch, some sub-bass (enough to satisfy me).
K550 = Good sub-bass quantity, some mid-bass punch.
HD25 = Good mid-bass punch (less than the Momentum), very little sub-bass (not enough to satisfy me).

Soundstage:

K550 > Momentum >= HD25

Comfort:

K550 >= Momentum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HD25

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #962 of 2,841
I bought a pair of Mad Dogs and then I picked up my K550s a week later - I needed a closed full size headphone and these two models seem to be the best options at the time.   I eventually traded the Mad Dogs, but I still have the K550, so in my case, the Mad Dog was not upgrade.    I don't think one is superior to the other...they are about the same quality, but with different signatures.
PM headphones are difficult to get used to at first. Now that I am used to the Mad Dogs sound I can really see how amazing they are. At first I was so underwhelmed I still own the K550 and think it's a good headphone but it loses out in more areas. I really can't think of one area that the K550 out performs the mad dogs. But all ours ears are different :)

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #963 of 2,841
Inasafeplace and elvergun, what types of music do you guys like? :) Just curious.... XD

By the way guys whats the difference betwen the k550's and the k551's (in sound... i already know that the color and the cable is different...)? the k550's as i said i can get for 135 euros and the k551 for 120...

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #964 of 2,841
Same headphone, Weaker cable less quality. K551 are more grainier. This could be because cables with mics have been said to cause interferences.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #965 of 2,841
Hum... than its best to get the regular k550... as i said i can get the original k550 for 135 euros on amazon and the k551 for 120 in a portuguese store but this is just a temporary price and tomorrow they will go back up to 150. But if the sound is worse it is probably better to stay away from the k551.... i like shorter cables but if adding a shorter cable means trouble than its a no go.... still with a smaller cable they were not the best option for street use so....

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #966 of 2,841
The cable feels pathetic. I certainly wouldn't want to use it for portability or even in general. The K550 cable is very high quality, I have snagged mine hard many times and it can take a beating. If you wanted the K551 I would recommend getting it recabled down the line as it will save you cash in the meantime. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #967 of 2,841
The cable feels pathetic. I certainly wouldn't want to use it for portability or even in general. The K550 cable is very high quality, I have snagged mine hard many times and it can take a beating. If you wanted the K551 I would recommend getting it recabled down the line as it will save you cash in the meantime. 

Then the k551 are out of the list. They must last for a while and cable noise is already onde of the reasons why i did not purchased a pair of Philips uptown... If i go akg i will go with the 550s then...

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #968 of 2,841
PM headphones are difficult to get used to at first. Now that I am used to the Mad Dogs sound I can really see how amazing they are. At first I was so underwhelmed I still own the K550 and think it's a good headphone but it loses out in more areas. I really can't think of one area that the K550 out performs the mad dogs. But all ours ears are different
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I had the Mad Dogs (together with the K550) for more than six months and I still preferred the AKG.  I can think of one area where the K550 outperforms the Mad Dogs - in the sub-bass...and this is why I kept the K550s.  I guess I'm a sub-basshead. 

Its not that I could not get used to a PM headphone -  I loved the Mad Dog, but I loved the K550 even more.  I just kept reaching for the AKG most of the time, so it seemed that I had the full-sized closed can department covered.   I'm actually hoping that the Alpha Dogs can replace my K550....but at $600 they better blow the K550s out of the water or the AKGs are going nowhere.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #969 of 2,841
I'm actually hoping that the Alpha Dogs can replace my K550....but at $600 they better blow the K550s out of the water or the AKGs are going nowhere.

Take drivers out of a $110 headphone, dress them up in a closed enclosure, better cable, and different ear pads, and all of it's a $600 sounding headphone? Hard for me to imagine it sounds +$400 better than BMFs rock wool and Shure pad switch out. So I'll definitely be curious to hear what you think in comparison to the K550s.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #970 of 2,841
  Inasafeplace and elvergun, what types of music do you guys like? :) Just curious.... XD

By the way guys whats the difference betwen the k550's and the k551's (in sound... i already know that the color and the cable is different...)? the k550's as i said i can get for 135 euros and the k551 for 120...

Check out my last.fm profile http://www.last.fm/user/inasafeplace. Overall I'd say I like krautrock, dreampop, ambient, jazz, indie rock, twee, folk and other genres more or less similar to these...

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #971 of 2,841
Allo moi j'suis de Québec l'autre bord du pont :wink:

I just got these last week and honestly they really need breakin time to get rid of the annoying peak in the sibilant area. At first listening session they were going back to canadacomputer. I let them play pink noise for over 100h at ultra high volume and now they are balance over the whole Spectrum.

Great close can btw

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #972 of 2,841
If i only had the to trry the k550s in Portugal... I AM a bit affraid as i said because of sound variariontsa that same claim though... How is it possible... Headphone manufacturares mais beautifull headphone AnD make them sound amazing.... Than they ruim everything with too big ir too small pads... If my momentums had bigger pads thwy would not go nowhere.

Elvergun what types of musical do you listen to? Any edm?

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #973 of 2,841
Take drivers out of a $110 headphone, dress them up in a closed enclosure, better cable, and different ear pads, and all of it's a $600 sounding headphone? Hard for me to imagine it sounds +$400 better than BMFs rock wool and Shure pad switch out. So I'll definitely be curious to hear what you think in comparison to the K550s.

I'll be going to the San Diego meet this Saturday...hopefully Dan will be there with a pair of Alpha Dogs.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #974 of 2,841
If i only had the to trry the k550s in Portugal... I AM a bit affraid as i said because of sound variariontsa that same claim though... How is it possible... Headphone manufacturares mais beautifull headphone AnD make them sound amazing.... Than they ruim everything with too big ir too small pads... If my momentums had bigger pads thwy would not go nowhere.

Elvergun what types of musical do you listen to? Any edm?

Some EDM...but I prefer the Momentum for this type of music.    The K550 is great with jazz and acoustic music.

I'm telling you, they have different sound signatures.   You might miss some of the Momentum's bass punch.  The K550 is more "analytical" and perhaps not the best choice for EDM, IMO.   I would even suggest the Mad Dogs over the K550s for EDM.  

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #975 of 2,841
Some EDM...but I prefer the Momentum for this type of music.    The K550 is great with jazz and acoustic music.

I'm telling you, they have different sound signatures.   You might miss some of the Momentum's bass punch.  The K550 is more "analytical" and perhaps not the best choice for EDM, IMO.   I would even suggest the Mad Dogs over the K550s for EDM.  

Too bad... :'( i really thought they would be able to deliver some edm properly (i saw i posto feom malveaux comparing them to the hd598 AMD saying that the k550s would be better for trance...)...

Do you Guys think sennheiser will release bigger para for the momentum like v moda? It would be really Cool....

But it is funny. :). When i first saw the k550 the design is so stealth that my first thought was... Power!!! Guess not after all. Not that that is bad of course. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back