The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #856 of 2,841
HOW are you guys getting those SHARP Highs, I have my K550 next to my and the highs are dull as wood >.> my Sound Magic Hp 100 is brighter 

Probably because (a) the headphones need a little breaking in and (b) the users haven't figured out placement yet :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #857 of 2,841
Probably because (a) the headphones need a little breaking in and (b) the users haven't figured out placement yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh they need to break them in, yea my pair where a year old. I would have LOVED to have sharp highs >.> 

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #858 of 2,841
I am not particularly well versed in the world of headphones, but I have not had any serious trouble with the K550's highs. I have definitely noticed that 8 kHz peak (a trait which is shared by my ATH-M50), so hi-hats and gunshots in all that ︻╦╤─ ṜЄ∆Ɫ †Ɍ∆Ƥ ȘĦ݆ ─╤╦︻ that I listen to can be piercing, but I have certainly not noticed any lack of highs.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #859 of 2,841
  I am not particularly well versed in the world of headphones, but I have not had any serious trouble with the K550's highs. I have definitely noticed that 8 kHz peak (a trait which is shared by my ATH-M50), so hi-hats and gunshots in all that ︻╦╤─ ṜЄ∆Ɫ †Ɍ∆Ƥ ȘĦ݆ ─╤╦︻ that I listen to can be piercing, but I have certainly not noticed any lack of highs.

The highs were never lacking for me but compared to my w1000x, and both my Beyers the K550 was just... so neutral in it's highs q.q I missed the ATTACK of my other cans but the highs where not lacking... I just found them to be kinda of dull 

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #861 of 2,841
  So is it Burn-In for these real thing or myth? I am not bass head but would like bit more lows, and a bit less highs

At least for mine and a few others who mentioned in this thread, a brand new K550 is unbelievably bad. Low frequency completely absent. It is like listening to AM radio. It will take a day or two for the bass to come out. The piercing high is the illusion when the low are absent.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #862 of 2,841
  So is it Burn-In for these real thing or myth? I am not bass head but would like bit more lows, and a bit less highs

That depends on who you ask. I do not know. For the bass, at least, it might be improved by a better seal (if you do not already have a good one). Regarding the highs: Have you isolated which frequencies are excessive? In any case, you can do 0–2 of 2 things: 1) Burn the headphones in and see how / if they change (objectively, subjectively, a combination thereof, whatever floats your boat); 2) EQ the bass up and the highs down.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #863 of 2,841

At least for mine and a few others who mentioned in this thread, a brand new K550 is unbelievably bad. Low frequency completely absent. It is like listening to AM radio. It will take a day or two for the bass to come out. The piercing high is the illusion when the low are absent.

I don't know is it my imagination or not, I installed Foobar and WASAPI, listened for for about 3 hours on med-hi volume, and highs settled a bit, and some of lows come in? that was fast. Anyway still not sounding what I expected, but for one thing I have to say K550 shines, and its dynamic - I can hear everything even on very very low volume level in songs. So far, things getting better.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #864 of 2,841

That depends on who you ask. I do not know. For the bass, at least, it might be improved by a better seal (if you do not already have a good one). Regarding the highs: Have you isolated which frequencies are excessive? In any case, you can do 0–2 of 2 things: 1) Burn the headphones in and see how / if they change (objectively, subjectively, a combination thereof, whatever floats your boat); 2) EQ the bass up and the highs down.

I think I got quite a good seal, pressing speakers with hands to get better seal do not change sound quality, so I guess that is it. I am not really good with that, but I assume frequencies that are excessive are over 10K, probably even more, as 320Kbps MP3's sounds less sibilant that FLAC's, for the same songs. Seems that headphones already getting better just after 3-4 hours of listening, also bass boost on FiiO E10 is noticeable, so some EQ-ing will help I guess, I just have to master that.

Anyway, another question: As I am using FiiO E10, I decided to get something better. I don't want to say that I am not satisfied with E10, I am, very much, but I guess I can get some improvements in that department with arriving of K550..

So, what would be a good choice for K550 in a range of $200? It could be separate DAC and AMP, with external or USB power supply, but I have to say that I  prefer DAC/AMP in one device, and USB power, as I use this combination mostly on my laptop on the go. But I am open for all options.

So far, I got couple choices - HRT HeadStreamer, Aune X1, Aune X1 MK2, Topping TP-D2, Audinst HUD-MX1 - They all are with quite good rankings, I just don't know how well they are pairing with K550.

My only sound source is laptop, so variety inputs is not important, just sound quality.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #865 of 2,841
I think I got quite a good seal, pressing speakers with hands to get better seal do not change sound quality, so I guess that is it.

Also experiment with placement more. Try shifting the headband (and thus repositioning the headphones) much forward more on your head, and even try backwards more. I find that the SQ improves for me with the headband angled more forward more than any other headphones I have worn. Makes the mids come forward more, too. I got that suggestion from someone else here. :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #866 of 2,841
Also experiment with placement more. Try shifting the headband (and thus repositioning the headphones) much forward more on your head, and even try backwards more. I find that the SQ improves for me with the headband angled more forward more than any other headphones I have worn. Makes the mids come forward more, too. I got that suggestion from someone else here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good thought. I will try :) I have to say that I noticed that I am getting best fit with headband a bit more forward on head, but I guessed that was normal, as it is the same with Senn HD428 I have. Thanks :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #867 of 2,841

Yes, most of the audio burn-in effects (not all, like in speakers) are a total myth. The sound does change, but it happens in your head and it is basic sensory / sense adaptation what happens in our body and mind with our different senses. But hey, bottom line is still that the sound changes, so all is good... :wink:

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #868 of 2,841

I think I got quite a good seal, pressing speakers with hands to get better seal do not change sound quality, so I guess that is it. I am not really good with that, but I assume frequencies that are excessive are over 10K, probably even more, as 320Kbps MP3's sounds less sibilant that FLAC's, for the same songs. Seems that headphones already getting better just after 3-4 hours of listening, also bass boost on FiiO E10 is noticeable, so some EQ-ing will help I guess, I just have to master that.

[…]

You have to do a little more than listen and guess. :p  Certain instruments tend to occupy certain frequency ranges, and you can maybe look at some spectrograms to determine where the highs are too high. First and foremost, I would EQ ~8–10 kHz down to see if that helps. All the graphs I have seen and my own personal experience agree that there is a spike here.

I can't help with amp / DAC choices; I have no experience with those you mentioned. In fact, all I have ever used is the Schiit M&M combo.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #869 of 2,841
Yes, most of the audio burn-in effects (not all, like in speakers) are a total myth. The sound does change, but it happens in your head and it is basic sensory / sense adaptation what happens in our body and mind with our different senses. But hey, bottom line is still that the sound changes, so all is good... :wink:

See, and others think your perspective is the myth :wink:

This is a highly controversial issue. I know speaker designers who will tell you that speakers do break-in with some physical changes. Then there have been attempts to disapprove this with headphones that were inconclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back