The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Mar 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #316 of 2,849
Has anyone else tried any mods besides pad mods? (I stuffed the bottom of my pads with foam weatherstripping, because I wasn't getting a good seal. After doing so, there's bass!

I think (can't be sure, as I don't have an unfilled pair to do a direct A/B comparison) I tamed the treble splashiness a bit by adding Bonded Logic Ultratouch insulation to the subchamber behind the driver's polepiece vent. I also lightly filled the outside chamber, but I'm not sure that did anything. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #319 of 2,849
After years of silent reading it's time to write somthing, and show you my latest mod. I think one disadvantages of these cans  which was frequently mentioned is the lack of a replacebale cable. So I did a little soldering and came up with this. It is a four pin connector and the two contacts which are short cut with a three pin jack are left and right ground. So it is possible to build a cable, or an adapter for a 4 pin 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm klinke cable to run it balanced if needed.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #320 of 2,849
Quote:
After years of silent reading it's time to write somthing, and show you my latest mod. I think one disadvantages of these cans  which was frequently mentioned is the lack of a replacebale cable. So I did a little soldering and came up with this. It is a four pin connector and the two contacts which are short cut with a three pin jack are left and right ground. So it is possible to build a cable, or an adapter for a 4 pin 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm klinke cable to run it balanced if needed.

One of the major things that's stopping me from buying a K550 is the permanent cable. This looks like a very nice mod. Good job!

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #325 of 2,849

I don't know what you exactly mean by isolation. I tried to add some damping, by adding a faom ring cut from Sennheiser HD414 pads in the cup and a pice of the same foam in the rubber rod which is place behind the driver. But it was overkill. By listenig to musik with rockbox set to mono the damped cup sounded very `muffed`. It was very dark, but not in a good way, all the beautiful mids where gone. in comparison to the undamped cup voices sounded unnatural  deep. I have a some Problems with the treble of this headphone especially when driven at high volumes. it can get painful. So I ended up with a smaller piece of foem(perhaps half the volumen of the ruber rod) in the small chamber, and nothing in the cup, and I'm quiet e happy so far. I don't know how to explain this sound signature thing correctly because of my limited english.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #326 of 2,849
Quote:
Why are you people so obsessed with mere wires? These things have much more pressing problems than their wiring.

I think youre right, with the lacking clamping force, but I since I finished the mod I definitly change cables at least once a day. The long akg cable is so long, you have to be carful when walking around at home not to step on the cable. I use the long one eg while wshing the dishes or cooking. So I can walk around in the kitchen freely and get all the things I need.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #327 of 2,849
Quote:
Why are you people so obsessed with mere wires? These things have much more pressing problems than their wiring.

What do you think is wrong w/ the Momentums? just curious

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #329 of 2,849
Quote:
Any comparisons to the k701? If I went k550 and sold my k701 how much soundstage and detail and clarity would you think I am missing?

Detail on the k550 is very good. they are very sensitive. But 701 has diffrent treble. If you dont mix up upper treble with detail, they are both very detailed. But they sound diffrent.  Why would you switch, when you are happy with the 701. Some people think 701's soundstage is "unnaturaly" big, so for them, better  would be smaller? In my oppinion you have to compare side by side and make your own desission. At the end its tast.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #330 of 2,849
Quote:
Detail on the k550 is very good. they are very sensitive. But 701 has diffrent treble. If you dont mix up upper treble with detail, they are both very detailed. But they sound diffrent.  Why would you switch, when you are happy with the 701. Some people think 701's soundstage is "unnaturaly" big, so for them, better  would be smaller? In my oppinion you have to compare side by side and make your own desission. At the end its tast.

I heard that the K550 is bassier than the Q/K-701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back