The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #256 of 2,849
Quote:
Ok, I must have the biggest head in the world or my head is really round like a cookie but I for myself, I think there's too much bass on this headphone hahaha.

Now seriously, I have been a reader of this forum for some years now but never had a reason to post anything (or guts too), but I bit the bullet and after some of the most helpful recommendation from a user of this forum I bought one. I have to say I had tears on my eyes the first time I listened to "quarteto novo" record. I could hear intruments and performer's placement that I have never noticed before. I spent almost 2 hours in complete trance mode.

Now I have a question to ask you guys... after all my listening I found it was tiring on my ears. And it does sound there's a lot of bass, more than I was expecting. Is my can a new veresion or is it because of the recessed nature of the beast (a lot more soundstage) that I may be listening too high? It does not sound hight at all but the bass (and highs) comes pretty strong at times, depending on the record.

I am kind of used to sound, as a film editor, I work all the time (and I am pretty used) with a pair of genelecs 8030s and I have a pair of hifiman re0. I know they are pretty light on bass, a bit forward but that's the reason I thought the k550 would be a good choice for me.

Anyway, I am in love with it, and even considering not wearing a glass anymore if it gets me a better seal. The seal is so tight with me that if I have them on, and I bite (force) my mouth muscles, I can hear them.

Or maybe I have a new improved version? When I tried them in a local Saturn dealer, I found them pretty thin tho... not with this ones.

Maybe there is some guy or girl in China in the assembly line who just bends the headband prior to assembly and so every set of headphones is different in regard to the amount of "clamp" :)

To address the sound getting tiring. This may be a separate thing from the use of these particular headphones. I have become a great user of crossfeed on my Meier Audio StageDAC (my DAC of course) and I find this to be excellent for reducing listening fatigue because the instruments are placed more sensibly in a soundstage and less likely to be effectively playing 1 cm from your ear. If you listen to music from a computer source there are software crossfeeds which you might like to try out. Those software ones have adjustability I think, so they might be quite fun to explore.

I agree with you that the AKG K550s are amazing quality for the money.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #257 of 2,849
I'll like some honest input here.

Either i get a $250 HD II Originals (Adidas) or a $300 K550.

I am female. 44kg,1.55 meters. My head's circumstance is 54cm about 21.25 inches i am fairly petite and believe my head is average or little but def not big. Problem is i can't try them on or audition them. Just order online. I am not sure what i want. I don't know if i am going to use it at home or carry them on with me for a trip or college. I wont use amp.

Please help with your honest thoughts. I come from 2 Grado's SR60 and 1 Grado's SR80 and would like some variety in closed cans (1st one) and something more comfortable to wear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvtm/8393021978/in/photostream

and finally a picture of me with the SR80 fitment (yeah i know full size headphones are a mess for the hair....)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvtm/8395928663/in/photostream

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #258 of 2,849
The akg will give you fit problems as you are petite. Seen the sony mdr-1r not as clynical in the sound but overall better signature.

For me the k550 sounded as a dull beyer dt880 but that is me. The Sony has better control of the bass and more mids and abit laid back in the highs, relaxing and good signature. For me perfect at the office or at university. Good and portable, the senn hd 25 is for me not comfortably enough.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #259 of 2,849
Hey guys,

I ordered in a set of K550's the other day, and I have to say, they are MUCH better than I was expecting. I was actually quite surprised, that coming from a set of Sennheiser HD 598's that they were this good as this community has seemed to be of the impression that the 598's were notably better, as in my opinion, the K550's are step up. I really just bought them because I had money and wanted to check out what a closed set could do opposed to my HD 598's, but I really like them! 

I'm also surprised that this community considers them a "flat+bass" headphone, as they are equally if not, more so, dynamic as my 598's!

That being said, I took this threads advice and stuffed the earpads. It was easy, and rose the footprint of the cans from rubbing against my ears, which is nice, and the isolation seems unaffected. My only problem with the headset, is that even on fit setting 1, they don't clamp my head that well; they kind of sit on my head, and I'd like them to squeeze a bit more. I've tried bending the metal strap over my wrist, but I'm terrified I'm going to break it or kink it as it resists me like crazy...

Is there another effective way to accomplish a tighter fit?? Am I ok to use more force?

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #261 of 2,849
Quote:
The akg will give you fit problems as you are petite. Seen the sony mdr-1r not as clynical in the sound but overall better signature.

For me the k550 sounded as a dull beyer dt880 but that is me. The Sony has better control of the bass and more mids and abit laid back in the highs, relaxing and good signature. For me perfect at the office or at university. Good and portable, the senn hd 25 is for me not comfortably enough.

Thanks!!, just added the Sony MDR-1R to my possible choices list.
Can someone else post their input based on my previous post???

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #262 of 2,849
Quote:

Is there another effective way to accomplish a tighter fit?? Am I ok to use more force?

You can bend the band, but it's not recommended as you can permanently jack up your headband. As Tim3320070 said, try the rubber band trick. Works like a charm for me...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630182/an-even-easier-akg-k550-small-head-mod

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #266 of 2,849
Got them, first notes: ****, what were AKG thinking while designing them?

Edit: Been struggling for the past hour trying to get a good fit, I'm returning them tomorrow.

Edit2: Broke the right swivling mechanism while trying to bend them, if anyone want's a K550 for 90 euros, give me a shout. Ordered a HE-300, this was definitely my last time I ever trusted AKG.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #267 of 2,849
Quote:
Got them, first notes: ****, what were AKG thinking while designing them?

Edit: Been struggling for the past hour trying to get a good fit, I'm returning them tomorrow.

Edit2: Broke the right swivling mechanism while trying to bend them, if anyone want's a K550 for 90 euros, give me a shout. Ordered a HE-300, this was definitely my last time I ever trusted AKG.

How did you manage to buy a $300 dollar pair of headphones and instantly break them...? The swivel mechanicsm is sturdy on mine... 0_0

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #268 of 2,849
Quote:

wow.
blink.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #269 of 2,849
Quote:
How did you manage to buy a $300 dollar pair of headphones and instantly break them...? The swivel mechanicsm is sturdy as hell 0_0

The swivel mechanism itself isn't actually that sturdy. I applied mild pressure like in the guide on page 1 an it came off cleanly, as they're just glued together. It should be noted that I bought a pair that was on display since a while, was their only pair left. Sadly they won't offer returns.

Let me talk about the clamping force: I have a fairly middle sized head and there's no headphone that doesn't provide a seal, headphones such as Edition 10, my Stax O2, Denons and other offerings that I tried during my Head-Fi journey so far. I mainly use my O2 for listening sessions, but during work on the computer I prefer some closed cans. I had a XB1000 before buying the K550s and it's almost ridiculous how much more clamping force the XB1000s offer. I don't know what AKG was smoking during the design and ergonomics parts, but I sure want some of that stuff - it must be good.

I highly recommend that whoever is considering the AKG K550, should do a test fitting at a local retailer. Don't get me wrong though, I only talk about the clamping. From what I heard, the AKG K550 is absolutely superb and I never heard such clarity on closed can before besides the Stax 4070.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #270 of 2,849
The seal is perfect in my head and I use number 4 or 5, if I wear a thin hat. I just want to say that because of all this paranoia about the seal I have been adjusting the headphones nonstop, and to be honest, that is not healthy. These cans were designed to be listened at home, on listening sessions. They are wonderful on that regard, the design makes it fall and hug your head, you should be seating, as one should do in a listening session.

Having said that, I have travelled on Trams and walked outside with it. Apart from the odd looks (what's that big headphone?), It is a OK experience. Sure I loose part of the seal, and part of the bass and insolation is partly gone but that is not made to be a mobile Headphones. I feel ok with it like this, and I actually like it to be a bit less basy. I wear a pair of thick glasses, and if one gives them time to adjust, the seal is OK.

Now the question everyone should ask themselves is, don't you hear diferently when you are in a listening session and when you are on and about outside?

Just enjoy it and don't be paranoid.

I will check the crossfades suggestion! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back