The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #228 of 2,848
no issues with my glasses at all.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #229 of 2,848
anybody with glasses and impressed  with these headphones ?

<----- absolutely, they didnt crush my head making glasses wearing impossible :)

no issues with my glasses at all.

Thats interesting because i tested it out for someone asking the same question. I used my rayban wayfarer sunglasses and found it impossible to get a proper seal. No matter what i did. I suppose it all depends on the glasses as the raybans are thick framed.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #230 of 2,848
My glasses have arms that are flat which may be why they have been ok from a seal perspective.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #232 of 2,848
I had the hd650 for over 3 years. i sold it and got the lcd2. Any other headphone i would have got, i would have kept the hd650. i loved those cans, but lcd2 made a good replacement. i recently got the k550 for office use. they have a different sound than hd 650. faster and more controled bass, more detail and brighter. i have a friend that sad the k550 have a wider sounstage than hd 650. i disagree . it might give you this impression because of the treble, but i think hd 650 has a more defined and fuller soundstage. Hd 650 has a smoother sound. The bass is deeper but looser. My impressions is that hd 650 has a more hifi sound but both are very good and k550 is awesome for a closed headphone. I would buy them both :d

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #233 of 2,848
Quote:
How does these compare to say the HD650/HD600s?

Yeah, dan.gheorghe pretty much hit it, I'd say the HD650 is definitely more holographic, with better imaging, but both have very nice soundstage. The K550 sometimes sounds a bit bright when coming off the HD650, but it's because of the more natural bass and pronounced treble. Both headphones definitely compliment each other very well. Their signatures are quite different, but the sound is really enjoyable on both.
beyersmile.png

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #234 of 2,848
I agree with dan.gheorghe & dxanex but I have to say, the reason I bought K550 (beside their tonal signature) was the soundstage. 
It reminds me of Senn 800 even though it's not quite as refined. Especially when you're listening to orchestra. K550 can produce wider soundstage than Senn 600 & 650. While I was auditioning Senn 800, one of the the song I played was Michael Bolton's In The Arms Of Love. It gave me goose bump listening when the orchestra came. It never felt the same way when I listened that song with 600 or 650. But the same moment happened with K550 IMO.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #235 of 2,848
I do agree that the sound signature may resemble hd800 in some aspects, but not the soundstage, not even a liitle tiny bit. The k550s' sounstage is microscopic compared to hd800.
With k550 i didn't even realize that the lotr soundtracks were recorded in a concert hall. I still remain with the impression that hd650 has a wider more natural soundstage.

On k550 the sound starts in force but stops somewhat abruptly(sounstage wise). On hd 650 the sound starts more subtle but flies further away. the imaging might be better on k550 though.Don't get me wrong. i very much like the k550. it has a very good soundsage for a closed headphone.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #236 of 2,848
I can relate to what he is saying with the K550 soundstage. Since I started using my K550 with my Lyr I feel I have re-discovered them. I find myself sometimes listening to them instead of my HD650 (which are my favorite headphones). And when I do I have the same thought every time of how impossible it seems to be getting such space out of a closed pair of cans. I haven't A/B'd them to put my finger on it exactly but for some reason the K550 does seem to leave even more of an impression on me in regards sound stage and space than when I listen to the 650.

I feel like the K550 is the perfect companion to my Sennys. The subtle differences in more realism vs musicality are a nice change up. Not to mention a headphone I can really enjoy sitting in bed without waking up my wife.

But again, I did love them before, but it really is the combo with my Lyr that really brought them to that level for me (used with an impedance adapter).

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #237 of 2,848
Quote:
But again, I did love them before, but it really is the combo with my Lyr that really brought them to that level for me (used with an impedance adapter).

Speaking of, Doc I know you mentioned the impedance adapter in another thread...did you ever get the chance to measure it to see it's impedance? Still looking at trying one out for myself...
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #238 of 2,848
Just got a pair after looking for a good pair of closed isolating full sized headphones. First impressions with little to no burn in: pretty neutral. Definitely not bass light, so I must have a largish head :) Nothing really offensive, sound-wise. Will listen to some orchestral stuff later to test the soundstage. Top of the headband already seems like it may need some additional padding, but I'll see if it'll soften up over time. Ears definitely get warm quickly.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #239 of 2,848
Speaking of, Doc I know you mentioned the impedance adapter in another thread...did you ever get the chance to measure it to see it's impedance? Still looking at trying one out for myself...:wink_face:

Just measured it this afternoon. It seems to have 100 ohms on the left and right channel and the common ground has no added resistance.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #240 of 2,848
Got these about 2 weeks ago and am totally in love with them. I've never heard such clarity and soundstage from a pair of headphones before, closed or otherwise. Bass extension is quite nice, despite lacking the impact of other similarly priced 'phones such as the D2000's. Only qualm so far is that the headband causes the top of my head to hurt after a while, but I'm hoping that this will go away with time (if not I may try some extra padding up there). Great 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back