The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #92 of 2,841
I really did like them for a closed headphone but I just felt like for on the go they were too big, and for at home use I chose my cheap m-audio monitors over them. I ended up selling them to get he400s. I really wanted to have them be my main headphones too, IMO they are the nicest looking headphones out there and they do have great sound quality but over time the finicky fit and resonance in them chipped away at my enjoyment. Ideally I'd have them as a pair to contrast a good pair of open headphones.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #93 of 2,841
Quote:
Do you guys use the akg k550 as your main headphone?

I have been since I've gotten mine. K702 used to be my main headphone. To me, the only thing the K702 still does better is instrument separation. Even the soundstage on the K550 is very similar to the K702, which is impressive considering it's a closed headphone.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #94 of 2,841
Quote:
Saw this frequency graph today:

http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=2553766

Looks kind of similar to this one of the KRK KNS-8400:

http://en.goldenears.net/9213

(8400 doesn't sound anything like it's graph though. At least not when it comes to it's bass)

The graphs don't look all that similar to me. K550 response clearly looks better balanced with fewer peaks.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #95 of 2,841
Why does every headphone seem to have a massive dip at 5k?
Is this like the evil zone that headphone manufacturers deliberately drop off?
normal_smile .gif

It is amusing when there's a dip people automatically cry about it and think that area is gone!

Out of 3 KNS-8400 graphs, none them look similar. So which one is right? Take your pick!

Strangely enough, the 8400 seems to have elevated sub-bass when I listen to it. Don't remember if the K550 did or not. I only had mine for a day.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #96 of 2,841
It was my main headphone at work until I switched to using Senns HD-25 Amperior.
For a close headphone, I enjoyed it and felt it had a good reference-level sound.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #98 of 2,841
Just wanted to say thanks a million to the OP for such a great post

Was worried about the fit prior to reading this, and am now delighted with it

Will also do the padding mod over the weekend

So helpful, thanks again, very much appreciated

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #99 of 2,841
Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks a million to the OP for such a great post

Was worried about the fit prior to reading this, and am now delighted with it

Will also do the padding mod over the weekend

So helpful, thanks again, very much appreciated

Thanks!  I'm happy to see this thread is still helping others. 
beerchug.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A video review was posted some weeks ago showing a K550 that may have received revisions to its headpad and earpads.  They were speculated to be thicker, but it was inconclusive.  I'm considering going on a shopping venture next week (I don't dare go out this weekend) to find out for certain.  In addition, I'll be picking up some Dynamat and running some dampening trials.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #100 of 2,841
I haven't decided on which 'phones to buy next and I am considering the K550:s. My thought on a possible good material to stuff the pads with is memory foam. Can be taken from a cheap pillow.

What do you guys think about that?

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #103 of 2,841
Quote:
How does the K550 respond to ampage? 

For me it sounded best out of the Fiio E17/AudioQuest Dragonfly.
It may have had other contributing factors, but out of my burly Audio-gd C2.2 and Shiit Lyr they didn't sound as good as with the two above.

I think moderate ampage is good, but I didn't feel like it gained much (in fact I felt it lost some) from the more mid-upper amps out there.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #104 of 2,841
Quote:
How does the K550 respond to ampage? 

Very good. Though they doesn't require a strong amp they do benefit from amping. More strength in terms of impact, and also bring up the sometimes lacking low frequency punches.
I recently upgraded from my E7 to an E17 and it does not only improve the clarity, but also widens the soundstage. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #105 of 2,841
Very good. I have an Asus Xonar headphone amplifier and the body of the music is amazing.. Anyway withoun amp the sound is also excelent.

By the way, ¿ could somebody tell me how could i "notice" the in-famous resonances, i'm getting nuts trying to find such resonances, i'm tried a lot of kinds of music (classic, rock, electronic, pop), instrumental, vocal (choral, soloist male, soloist female), with no success ¿ could somebody point me a piece of music that produces such resonances ?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back