The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 16, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #2,806 of 2,842
They sound harsh, fatiguing, not much dynamics and almost no bass. All in all like garbage. :frowning2: I add some bass boost, but it's still far from being balanced. Can't measure them due to missing equipment.
I wonder why did you buy them in the first place if you don't like any of the characteristics, you should have gave them a test or read about before buying.
They're not that bad, only a matter of preference.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,807 of 2,842
(Sorry to answer with a pad swap when I know your question was about EQ-ing with the pads you have. I have no EQ skills to offer you.)
It's ok to suggest them. So you were happy with angled oval Brainwavz pads? I'd probably go for sheepskin. Does it matter if it's angled or not?

Covering the 3 holes under the white ring with PVC tape rather than that material does make a difference to the bass. I've basically done this with my original K550s and I use the same earpads.

These earpads do reduce the bass a little, but what I've mentioned brings most of it back. They still have a slightly harsh treble peak though. The only way you can reduce that is by attempting to put a foam disk, or some other material between the outside of the driver grill and under the earpad. Experiment with both of these things I mention and you should be able to reduce the treble peak and increase bass.
Does the tape need to be thick? Well ok I'll search for some foam disk. Maybe some from Beyerdynamic will do? Such as https://www.beyerdynamic.de/schaumstoffscheibe-amiron-wireless.html
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/schaumstoffscheibe-neue-version.html ?

I wonder why did you buy them in the first place if you don't like any of the characteristics, you should have gave them a test or read about before buying.
They're not that bad, only a matter of preference.
I like big earpads and didn't know they will sound worse. So what now?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,808 of 2,842
There's no problem with big earpads in general. Just in my experience this headphone doesn't like them much.

What now: go with Hogweed's recommendation and ignore mine.

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #2,809 of 2,842
It's ok to suggest them. So you were happy with angled oval Brainwavz pads? I'd probably go for sheepskin. Does it matter if it's angled or not?

Does the tape need to be thick? Well ok I'll search for some foam disk. Maybe some from Beyerdynamic will do? Such as https://www.beyerdynamic.de/schaumstoffscheibe-amiron-wireless.html

I believe in this case you should sell them, I use them for movies and they are ok as I did not have high expectations in the first place at this price point. I don't recommend any additional investment in them.
I recommend the Hifiman Sundara for $300 if you are on a budget, a good all rounder.

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,810 of 2,842
I believe in this case you should sell them, I use them for movies and they are ok as I did not have high expectations in the first place at this price point. I don't recommend any additional investment in them.
I recommend the Hifiman Sundara for $300 if you are on a budget, a good all rounder.
I already have better open-backs than the Sundara and the AKG is closed. Furthermore I made them look so ugly so nobody will want to buy them. Could at least make my AKG usable and the foam from Beyerdynamic is not really expensive.

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #2,811 of 2,842

The tape is only to seal the holes. You can change the bass response a fair bit by even just uncovering one of the holes a fraction. So being fully covered is all you need ti archive the seal. If you are happy with the price of beyerdynamic foam disks, you can get them, but it may be worth getting some cheaper ones and then you can buy 2 or 3 for each side and chose how much you want to change the sound.

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #2,812 of 2,842

Only the angled ones have worked for me to get me close to stock sound.

It's reassuring that you said you made your K550 ugly already. The angled ovals make the headphones stick out in a fairly unattractive way. I tried lots of alternatives, but to get a similar-to-stock sound without the overheating discomfort of the stock pads, the angled ovals were the only ones that worked for me.

I have them in lambskin and pleather (I like K550 enough to have more than one of them), and lambskin is nicer. But the pleather is stretchier and a lot easier to put on. Lambskin requires patience and care in gently stretching the leather. It was hard work, and I'd almost suggest getting pleather first in order to practice, because even stretching the pleather ovals onto the K550 is a little tricky the first time.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #2,813 of 2,842
Here are my EQ settings for the K550s. I find that this makes the bass more punchy, without it becoming muddy. Less neutral, but much more fun for casual listening.
87YHg5r.png

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #2,814 of 2,842
I run about +3db at 10 21 and 42 and +2db at 83, that's about it. I've run a lot of EQ settings on these over time and some are fun for some music, some not, but these are usually good for anything. I'm still very pleased with these when I pull them out and am always surprised how good they sound compared to much newer $200ish headphones I have. I think I put sheepskin memory foam pads on them a few years ago but that's it. These were one of my first "nice" headphones and going back to them really makes me question the half dozen other ones I've bought since then tbh. Not the best, but still solid.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #2,815 of 2,842
My MkIII K550s have now also started making a pop in and out sound as the plastic on the driver presumably creases than goes back to how it was. They still sound fine, but any pressure on the ear cup can make this sound which i feel may end up damaging the drivers in time. Though my original k550s have had this issue for years and still sound fine. The only way to solve it is to uncover the 3 holes that go into the driver enclosure, but then they sound far too thin, so i'm a bit stuck if these get much worse.

Basically i'm starting to think about some new headphones that i use with my X3 on public transport.

I don't mind them being big ( i only want over ear headphones) but they must fold flat so i can put them in a flat laptop bag.

I would also want short detachable cable or an option to buy one. Even better, a mini XLR that I've made several of myself.

I also need headphones to be slack and put very little pressure against the side of my head. I have quite a large head as well as a scar from operations and the k550s being as slack as they are are great for this reason.

I'm also looking for quite a lot more bass impact than the K550s have, as on public transport, the vibrations reduce it and make me bump up bass by up to 10db a lot of the time.

Anyone experienced any other headphones that are similar to the K550s, with some of the points I've noted.

I'm looking into the AKG M70x at the moment. Would be good if i can find someone who has owned both.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #2,816 of 2,842
My MkIII K550s have now also started making a pop in and out sound as the plastic on the driver presumably creases than goes back to how it was. They still sound fine, but any pressure on the ear cup can make this sound which i feel may end up damaging the drivers in time. Though my original k550s have had this issue for years and still sound fine. The only way to solve it is to uncover the 3 holes that go into the driver enclosure, but then they sound far too thin, so i'm a bit stuck if these get much worse.

Basically i'm starting to think about some new headphones that i use with my X3 on public transport.

I don't mind them being big ( i only want over ear headphones) but they must fold flat so i can put them in a flat laptop bag.

I would also want short detachable cable or an option to buy one. Even better, a mini XLR that I've made several of myself.

I also need headphones to be slack and put very little pressure against the side of my head. I have quite a large head as well as a scar from operations and the k550s being as slack as they are are great for this reason.

I'm also looking for quite a lot more bass impact than the K550s have, as on public transport, the vibrations reduce it and make me bump up bass by up to 10db a lot of the time.

Anyone experienced any other headphones that are similar to the K550s, with some of the points I've noted.

I'm looking into the AKG M70x at the moment. Would be good if i can find someone who has owned both.

Maybe consider IEMs if you frequent public transport? IEMs have gotten insanely good, and they will definitely satisfy bass needs.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #2,817 of 2,842
Maybe consider IEMs if you frequent public transport? IEMs have gotten insanely good, and they will definitely satisfy bass needs.
I honestly don't mind the size of the K550s that much, and I have always hated the feel of IEMs. I much prefer the feel of a soft cushion over my ears. I also am not convinced then sound will be as wide/spacious on such tiny drivers compared to over ear headphones.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #2,818 of 2,842
Been reading a lot into the Audio technica ATH-M70x recently and a great deal of the reviews state that the sound is great but build quality is awful. My impressions is that the M50x are built far better, which makes no sense to me as they are under half the price. Does anyone had experience of the M50x as well as the K550s? I would like a lot more bass for traveling around than what the K550s have, but I very much dislike the midbass hump that many headphones have so i hope the extra bass they have is further down the spectrum. Found an offer for £83 which is nearly £70 cheaper than my K550s were. I'm not exactly after an upgrade, but an alternative that has more bass.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #2,819 of 2,842
Been reading a lot into the Audio technica ATH-M70x recently and a great deal of the reviews state that the sound is great but build quality is awful. My impressions is that the M50x are built far better, which makes no sense to me as they are under half the price. Does anyone had experience of the M50x as well as the K550s? I would like a lot more bass for traveling around than what the K550s have, but I very much dislike the midbass hump that many headphones have so i hope the extra bass they have is further down the spectrum. Found an offer for £83 which is nearly £70 cheaper than my K550s were. I'm not exactly after an upgrade, but an alternative that has more bass.
I bought the K550's a few yrs back when I was
looking for a good set of closed phones.
Also bought the AT ATH50x.
Mostly I listen to open back.

So, I found that the K550's overall were just
too "thin" sounding for my tastes, no matter what music was playing.

And I felt the build quality was somewhat lacking.

The 50x's, on the other hand, are clearly very
well made at their price point. They have a
solid, robust sound (BTW the bass isn't boomy.

I sold the K550's, yet still have the AT's. My
main issue is that my ears get uncomtortably
hot when I wear them, so I listen to them very rarely.

I can recommend a couple of closed headphones: Shure SRH1540, and Sony
MDR M1ST - the latter are made in Japan mostly for distribution in Japan. You can source them quite easily, though it will likely be from a seller in Japan.

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #2,820 of 2,842
I need them to be able to fold flat. I'm not convinced how much i will like the M50x's as the soundstage is known to be narrower and I myself prefer bright treble. The M70x look like a really good choice but the build comments are worrying me. They look so expensive given they are built much worse than the M50x. I also keep thinking about the Austrian audio HI-X55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back