The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #2,731 of 2,848
Does anyone know of any good replacement cables? The stock cable is a bit too long for me and I'd like a shorter one.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,733 of 2,848
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,734 of 2,848
Mini-XLR is a small niche for headphone cables. Amazon has some from Cable Matters. Search for "mini xlr to 3.5mm cable".

You could have the best of both worlds if you go with the AKG EK500S coiled cable. Its short but stretches long when needed. B&H sells them. I actually have one somewhere I no longer need since I sold my K702.

The other option is DIY if you can solder. I built my mini-XLR cable from parts from redco.com. Some Mogami W2893 cable, Redco TA3FB xlr connector, and a TRS connector of your choice.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #2,735 of 2,848
Mini-XLR is a small niche for headphone cables. Amazon has some from Cable Matters. Search for "mini xlr to 3.5mm cable".

You could have the best of both worlds if you go with the AKG EK500S coiled cable. Its short but stretches long when needed. B&H sells them. I actually have one somewhere I no longer need since I sold my K702.

The other option is DIY if you can solder. I built my mini-XLR cable from parts from redco.com. Some Mogami W2893 cable, Redco TA3FB xlr connector, and a TRS connector of your choice.
I've been having a look online, and a lot of the options appear to be discontinued. I found the coiled you mentioned, and it could be an option if I can't find a shorter cable.

As an aside, I had been having difficulty with these sliding off my head whenever I moved, due to the low clamping force. I applied the advice given in the first post of this thread and bent the headband. They sit much better now!

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,736 of 2,848
For me the K550 are one of the worst headphones I had and still have in my live.
It Don’t have any bass at all, very dry, harsh and not natural in any way.
I have used them with mp3, hi-def files, CD
From and simple iPhone to a Chord Hugo TT, etc...
I can’t understand people say it is good for mixing because is flat etc... if I mix a music with them the final music product it will be all wrong.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #2,737 of 2,848
For me the K550 are one of the worst headphones I had and still have in my live.
I can’t understand people say it is good for mixing because is flat etc... if I mix a music with them the final music product it will be all wrong.
I use them solely for watching movies, the build is superb.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #2,738 of 2,848
For me... there place is in the drawer.
I don’t sell them because it can be harmful to other people 🤣

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #2,739 of 2,848
If you literally say these "don't have any bass at all" , then there are several factors likely to be related to this. Least likely being a defective unit, but it could be possible that the drivers are broken and not producing the bass properly.

Another common problem is the fit for many people which we have been discussing over the last few pages. These headphones you have to adjust manually every time you put them over your ears. If not, the bass can be close to how you describe. A good fit is essential with these headphones or they can give you the wrong impression. Try pushing against the ear cups slightly and make sure they seal around your ear. If the bass increases, then it is obvious they are unfortunately not suitable if it takes pressure to increase the bass.

And what i think is most likely to be the case as with the headphones many people listen to these days, you could be used to headphones that have far more bass that the artist intended the music to have. If you are used to this, then it can make other headphones that sound more accurate very lacking. But if you have a pair of K550s that is not broken, you should be able to notice that depending on what your other headphoens are, the K550s will likely have far more detail and you will hear loads of things you never even knew were there. The K550s have very clean, deep bass. It is just a tiny bit lacking in punch and impact compared to the average decent pair of closed back headphones. But it will have more than most open backs at around this price point.

The K550s will be very good for mixing. For some people, I can understand they are little unpleasant for certain types of music. They seem to have a high midrange / lower terble peak between 8000 and 10000 hz which can sound a little harsh at times, but it really helps highlight any fault with the recording. When listening to these, you really can feel like you are there in the studio and you will pick up if there is anything wrong with the recording. I've seen videos of DJ's using these headphones, and that wouldn't be the case if they had zero bass would it?

If you list what other headphone models you have, it may give us an idea why you find the K550s so lacking. But if you are after very good headphones that don't exaggerate the bass, there won't be many that have a lot more than the K550s.

You can also take note that whathifi gave these and the Chord Hugo TT a 5 star review, so it will be a brilliant combination to most. The K550s review is from 2012 when they were reviewed at £250, but they still got awards in 2016 and there have been several upgrades since with the MkII and MKIII but they all sound the same. The price has just gone down since at the few places you can still get them now they are discontinued.

https://www.whathifi.com/akg/k550/review

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2,740 of 2,848
I've been having a look online, and a lot of the options appear to be discontinued. I found the coiled you mentioned, and it could be an option if I can't find a shorter cable.

As an aside, I had been having difficulty with these sliding off my head whenever I moved, due to the low clamping force. I applied the advice given in the first post of this thread and bent the headband. They sit much better now!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-XLR...462857?hash=item217fb49909:g:fksAAOSwl3Vfze6i

Looks a bit cheap, but then the MKIII cable feels cheap anyway. But hopefully this will be suitable.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,741 of 2,848
If you literally say these "don't have any bass at all" , then there are several factors likely to be related to this. Least likely being a defective unit, but it could be possible that the drivers are broken and not producing the bass properly.

Another common problem is the fit for many people which we have been discussing over the last few pages. These headphones you have to adjust manually every time you put them over your ears. If not, the bass can be close to how you describe. A good fit is essential with these headphones or they can give you the wrong impression. Try pushing against the ear cups slightly and make sure they seal around your ear. If the bass increases, then it is obvious they are unfortunately not suitable if it takes pressure to increase the bass.

And what i think is most likely to be the case as with the headphones many people listen to these days, you could be used to headphones that have far more bass that the artist intended the music to have. If you are used to this, then it can make other headphones that sound more accurate very lacking. But if you have a pair of K550s that is not broken, you should be able to notice that depending on what your other headphoens are, the K550s will likely have far more detail and you will hear loads of things you never even knew were there. The K550s have very clean, deep bass. It is just a tiny bit lacking in punch and impact compared to the average decent pair of closed back headphones. But it will have more than most open backs at around this price point.

The K550s will be very good for mixing. For some people, I can understand they are little unpleasant for certain types of music. They seem to have a high midrange / lower terble peak between 8000 and 10000 hz which can sound a little harsh at times, but it really helps highlight any fault with the recording. When listening to these, you really can feel like you are there in the studio and you will pick up if there is anything wrong with the recording. I've seen videos of DJ's using these headphones, and that wouldn't be the case if they had zero bass would it?

If you list what other headphone models you have, it may give us an idea why you find the K550s so lacking. But if you are after very good headphones that don't exaggerate the bass, there won't be many that have a lot more than the K550s.

I work in a Hi-end store and every day I am listening many diferent things.
The K550 are working well from the first day and I have listened another ones and are the same, I tested with all kind of gear with them like Chord Hugo TT DAC/amp.
I have add in the last’s 20/30 years many headphones, but in my house I use the L300, HD600/660S, AT Maestoso, etc...

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,742 of 2,848
Plugging my 550 to the Violectric amp did wonders, it's a capable and sweet sounding cans but it needs proper amping.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,743 of 2,848
I work in a Hi-end store and every day I am listening many diferent things.
The K550 are working well from the first day and I have listened another ones and are the same, I tested with all kind of gear with them like Chord Hugo TT DAC/amp.
I have add in the last’s 20/30 years many headphones, but in my house I use the L300, HD600/660S, AT Maestoso, etc...
Does indeed look like you have a wide range of stuff then.

Still, if you K550s are working correctly, saying they don't have any bass at all is entirely incorrect. Even listening to some test tracks with sub bass, I can easily follow every single note right down to 30hz. There is not that much in the way of punch or impact as I said with these, but they have virtually no sudden roll off or boost below 100 hz which a lot of other headphones do. And when watching films with these, you really can feel the deep rumble of explosions and the like. And I have heard headphones that have far more bass than these such as the HD280 pros. I also have some very basic headphones by Sennheiser. The HD201s. They are budget end headphones and even though they have rolled off bass, each note is still very audible. The K550s though have FAR more bass than this so I don't get how it isn't noticeable. Even when listening to my 2.1 setip with JBL control ones and a beefy 10 inch sub (wharfedale SW150) which has more bass than the K550s, i never feel like I'm missing the bass going back to them.

It depends on what you meant. If you meant you struggle to hear it, then I can maybe understand it if you have heard such a wide range of other things and are used to far more, but actually meaning "there is no bass at all", then the vast majority of us K550 users can hear things that for some reason you can't. That is what is puzzling me.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #2,744 of 2,848
Does indeed look like you have a wide range of stuff then.

Still, if you K550s are working correctly, saying they don't have any bass at all is entirely incorrect. Even listening to some test tracks with sub bass, I can easily follow every single note right down to 30hz. There is not that much in the way of punch or impact as I said with these, but they have virtually no sudden roll off or boost below 100 hz which a lot of other headphones do. And when watching films with these, you really can feel the deep rumble of explosions and the like. And I have heard headphones that have far more bass than these such as the HD280 pros. I also have some very basic headphones by Sennheiser. The HD201s. They are budget end headphones and even though they have rolled off bass, each note is still very audible. The K550s though have FAR more bass than this so I don't get how it isn't noticeable. Even when listening to my 2.1 setip with JBL control ones and a beefy 10 inch sub (wharfedale SW150) which has more bass than the K550s, i never feel like I'm missing the bass going back to them.

It depends on what you meant. If you meant you struggle to hear it, then I can maybe understand it if you have heard such a wide range of other things and are used to far more, but actually meaning "there is no bass at all", then the vast majority of us K550 users can hear things that for some reason you can't. That is what is puzzling me.

The K550 signature is to dry for me.
And as you tell you have many headphones that had more “bass” but indeed they have fake bass “the bommy mid/bass enhancement”.
I’m not the kind of guy that love bass, for me it as to be natural and deep... and we don’t have to ear it, but feel it.
Now I remember that are some old mods, I will play with that mods and put new pads on it 😉

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,745 of 2,848
The K550 signature is to dry for me.
And as you tell you have many headphones that had more “bass” but indeed they have fake bass “the bommy mid/bass enhancement”.
I’m not the kind of guy that love bass, for me it as to be natural and deep... and we don’t have to ear it, but feel it.
Now I remember that are some old mods, I will play with that mods and put new pads on it 😉
Although I have no problems with the bass, as we have recently discussed, the bass can disappear if the seal is not perfect, which really can mess up the rest of the sound. And that certainly can give people a negative opinion of these headphones. They are more suited to big heads. One way of increasing bass is removing the white ring under the ear pads and covering the 3 holes with electrical tape. But you likely will only notice the difference here if you already have a good seal.

About the bass, I do dislike many headphones that have that muddy mid bass boost which seems incredibly common on cheaper headphones. I find the K550s to be ever so slightly lacking at times, but they have more clean and accurate bass than a lot of headphones IMO. Just comparing them to a load in a store that were more expensive really surprised me. But the K550s sound can be severely altered if you don't manually adjust them when putting them on or getting a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back