The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Feb 7, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,176 of 2,849

That is quite a glowing review, great stuff. I agree that it has some incredible qualities that make me wonder why I bother with other headphones sometimes, but I have to say that my LCD-2 is the only thing that makes them fall behind. I really recommend that you try out a planar magnetic headphone at some point, especially the LCD-2 and maybe the LCD-X if you don't want as much bass and a more clinical sound. I absolutely love my K550 for travel, though.

Audeze is well beyond what I'm willing to spend on headfi. I have recently heard the HIFIMAN HE-400i, which is the absolute max of what would spend. I really liked the planar magnetic sound. There was something very right about the bass and the mids has a bit more weight to it compared to the K550. For violin/cello solos and vocal jazz like Diana Krall etc. I would choose the HIFIMAN. But the HIFIMAN has a more grainy sound compared to the K550 and the soundstage and instrument separation is really bad compared to the K550. The more I get used to the velvety completely grain free sound of the K550, the more I crave it and the more I dislike grainy sound.
I would like to hear a more refined planar magnetic, like the LCD-2, but I'm afraid that would lead me down the dark and evil path of audiopfilia again :wink:

Yeah, I love my K550s and K545s too.  They are something special, the both of them.

K545 = 

But the K550 = 

BOTH are HOT, and I wouldn't complain about either.  The K545 brings that extra BASS & portability, but the K550 just brings that little bit "extra" where it counts to the table...  MAKES you stand up and take notice.  
wink_face.gif

I know exactly what you mean :)

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #2,177 of 2,849
knorris, 

If you love the K550, then you MUST try out the AKG K553 Pro! I owned the K550 and LOVED it as well, but the K553 is an IMPROVED version of the K550...........with clearer bass and a more controlled treble! More about that here

If interested, you can buy it from Amazon or else off eBay, which offers international shipping. 

I also wrote a couple reviews comparing the K553 to both the $399 Oppo PM-3 and the Blue Lola ($250). In both cases, the K553 won out. Do yourself a favor...........buy a pair and never look back! lol

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,178 of 2,849
  knorris, 

If you love the K550, then you MUST try out the AKG K553 Pro! I owned the K550 and LOVED it as well, but the K553 is an IMPROVED version of the K550...........with clearer bass and a more controlled treble! More about that here

If interested, you can buy it from Amazon or else off eBay, which offers international shipping. 

I also wrote a couple reviews comparing the K553 to both the $399 Oppo PM-3 and the Blue Lola ($250). In both cases, the K553 won out. Do yourself a favor...........buy a pair and never look back! lol

Could it be that the K550 MkII and K553 pro is the same only branded different for different markets? The K553 pro is not available in Europe and to my knowledge the K550 MkII is not available in the US.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,182 of 2,849
The bass is good with the correct seal around the head, unfortunately I don't get the best seal. Pushing the cups against my head doubles the bass I get. Prob swap my 550 out for something different soonish. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #2,185 of 2,849
  Anyone can recommend some good replacement ear pads that maintain the soundstage and increase the bass response (or at least are thicker and provide a tighter fit around the head)?

I ordered these ones from Brainwavz: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZY8PGJI
But I cannot fit them because they are too small.

This one does fit on the K550: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894.  It's a little bit of a struggle to fit them but it does work, and provides a tighter fit, a deeper cup, and a good seal.

However it does change the sound, and might not (or might) be helpful in your case.  I have two K550s, one with the stock pads and one with the Brainwavz pads, and it's very easy to hear the difference between them.

On me, the stock earpads provide a good seal and sound great, but the drivers are nearly touching my ears and the headphone feels uncomfortably warm after a while.  (So that's why I tried the Brainwavz pads.)  With the Brainwavz pads my ears have plenty of room to breathe and heat buildup isn't bad . . . but the treble is highlighted noticeably more, and I need to turn the volume up to get a similar perceived loudness in the low-mids and lows.  (I'd conjecture that the driver/enclosure combination is tuned for the amount of air trapped between the stock pads and a well-fitting head, and asking it to move 3x as much air before it reaches your ear throws off that tuning, but #iamnotaheadphonedesigner.)

So compared to my well-fitting stock pads, the BW'd K550 has even more highs and 'air', and more soundstage, but is less bassy.  I would say it's less true to the signal than the unmodded K550, but I still enjoy it, and can wear it comfortably for a longer time.

However compared to the sound with a poor fit – what I get if I break the seal on my stock pads, or what I experienced with some velour pads that just didn't trap air that well – I think the Brainwavz pads provide some improvement in the lows.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,188 of 2,849
velour pads add air and increase treble. Sound gets studio like neutrality and is more open. Bass quantity decrease and bass won't go as deep and won't be as punchy ...

Leather pads increase bass and clarity , sound picture is more pronounced, image will get sharper  and mids gain more body but, it also sound more "halilsh" like inside the box...

distance between ear and driver is crucial for soundstage. but if pads are too thick you will lose snappiness and attack, bass quantity decrease as well...

there is no perfect pads that will improve sound signature , by making some things better you will make some things worth ...

i recommend stock pads with some velour glued on top.  will be a nice hybrid ...

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,190 of 2,849
Hi I'm a newbie to Head-fi. I'm trying to get a can for under $400 CAD for office use. I wonder if I can have some advice from the K550 owners.

I came across a pair of K550 last month and was totally blown off by its great sound. I have also tried the M70x, MSR7, Denon AH-MM400, and HP50. I guess I must have a K550 pre-approved head that it fit perfectly for me. Since K550 has such a wonderful open sound-stage, I wonder if anyone has compare it to some open cans. I'm using the Hifiman EF2C Dac/Amp and mostly listening to acoustic recordings (classical chamber/something simple, jazz, fusion etc. with/without vocals). By reading lots of reviews my current short list is: K550, Ath-R70x, HE400s, M70x. I don't mind disturbing my co-workers with the open-back (sound comes first! And my listen level is reasonably low), but it must sounds real good for acoustic or classical guitars. Any other suggestions or comment on my list? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back