The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 14, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,041 of 2,841
I just bought a used set of K550s to compare to my ATH-M50s. I have been listening for the past few hours and reading through other people opinions and I won't say mine are very different.  The K550s are more detailed with a wider soundstage than the M50s. However even the bass boost on my Fiio E18 can't make the bass as full and fun as I find the M50s.  I have owned AKG K702s as well and the K550s  loose some width due to the closed back but they gain a noticeable amount of bass which makes me prefer then 550s over the 702s. I did prefer the coiled (and removable) cable of the 702s but I mostly sit at my desk to listen so the cable is less critical to me. I think if I could find a headphone that was closed, had the low end of the M50s and the detail and soundstage of the K550, and as portable as the M50s, I might never put them down.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,042 of 2,841
I spent the last couple of days agonising over whether to buy these or the UE 6000. Fortunately one of my friends has the 550s, so I spent a couple of hours yesterday putting them through their paces with a variety of genres, and I was really impressed. The bass certainly is less pronounced than in the M50s, which is what I was using as a comparison set. I already own a couple of phones with bass humps, and my main criteria with my next pair was a flat and even response; I want a go to pair of phones for faithful and detailed reproduction. I can understand why people might find the 550s  tad 'unexciting' if they're being highly critical - there are definitely more fun sounding headphones around. That having been said I personally did not find them boring, and they hit the nail on the head for the reference kind of sound I was looking for.

I'd heard that the UE6000s are a little warmer than the AKGs... That combined with the fact that I really don't want a set of headphones with a plastic battery door in the cup and noise cancelling switches and circuitry (more stuff to break over the years), I decided to order a set of the 550s for £86 + free postage (a really decent price for this kind of sound!) You can actually pick the UE6000s up for £73 on amazon right now, so if anyone else is grappling with the same dilemma I was, that could be a deal breaker.

When they arrive i'm going to borrow my friends pair again and spend a day listening to them side by side (he's been using his every day for 6 months), because I'm interested to see if the treble sounds any different out of the box. I didn't pick up on the artificial treble sound mentioned by some - that could have been down to my choice of test tracks, my ears, or maybe they calm down every so slightly with use. I'll report back on that if anyone is remotely interested :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2,043 of 2,841
  I spent the last couple of days agonising over whether to buy these or the UE 6000. Fortunately one of my friends has the 550s, so I spent a couple of hours yesterday putting them through their paces with a variety of genres, and I was really impressed. The bass certainly is less pronounced than in the M50s, which is what I was using as a comparison set. I already own a couple of phones with bass humps, and my main criteria with my next pair was a flat and even response; I want a go to pair of phones for faithful and detailed reproduction. I can understand why people might find the 550s  tad 'unexciting' if they're being highly critical - there are definitely more fun sounding headphones around. That having been said I personally did not find them boring, and they hit the nail on the head for the reference kind of sound I was looking for.

I'd heard that the UE6000s are a little warmer than the AKGs... That combined with the fact that I really don't want a set of headphones with a plastic battery door in the cup and noise cancelling switches and circuitry (more stuff to break over the years), I decided to order a set of the 550s for £86 + free postage (a really decent price for this kind of sound!) You can actually pick the UE6000s up for £73 on amazon right now, so if anyone else is grappling with the same dilemma I was, that could be a deal breaker.

When they arrive i'm going to borrow my friends pair again and spend a day listening to them side by side (he's been using his every day for 6 months), because I'm interested to see if the treble sounds any different out of the box. I didn't pick up on the artificial treble sound mentioned by some - that could have been down to my choice of test tracks, my ears, or maybe they calm down every so slightly with use. I'll report back on that if anyone is remotely interested :)

I shouldn't really compare these to my open backed AT ATH-AD700s but when I do, the treble on these does sound a bit unrealistic. It at times sounds like the treble is trying that bit too hard. My other headphones easily have more treble but they sound more pleasant to listen to if the recording happens to sound bit harsh.
The treble on the K550s still is very clear though

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #2,044 of 2,841
You should try one of the dampening mods, it's easy, you just have disassamble it, and put some dampening material at the back of the driver, it will make the treble softer, more fluid (rather than being sharp and plastic sounding). You should try different materials with different thickness to find out what works for you. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,045 of 2,841
  You should try one of the dampening mods, it's easy, you just have disassamble it, and put some dampening material at the back of the driver, it will make the treble softer, more fluid (rather than being sharp and plastic sounding). You should try different materials with different thickness to find out what works for you. 

I am happy enough with them as they are now and I wouldn't really want to risk doing anything to them.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,046 of 2,841
  I shouldn't really compare these to my open backed AT ATH-AD700s but when I do, the treble on these does sound a bit unrealistic. It at times sounds like the treble is trying that bit too hard. My other headphones easily have more treble but they sound more pleasant to listen to if the recording happens to sound bit harsh.

I was paying attention to this last night as I compared the K550s to other headphones. It took a bit to find my favorite combination of DAC/Amp and gain settings to get the treble to sound balanced. Eventually I found that the ALO International on a Low gain setting really gave a nice balance where as pretty much any amp I chose with a higher gain, the treble really came forward more than the mids and lows.  With those higher gain settings though I would agree completely that the treble sounded unrealistic.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,052 of 2,841
One question, do you know about any web or brand which custom the K550 in order to have removable cable after? It has to be in Europe, please.

Thanks so much! :wink:

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,053 of 2,841

I do find treble of k550 to be glass like and not metallic. Upside is its a very enjoyable colouration for me. It has no harshness at all.
Downside is timber is a bit off. When compared to a q701, k550 does not shows all colours of instruments. But q701 can be harsh so its plus or minus.

Compared to ue6000, i find ue to be a bit more v shaped, but more accurate treble timber. Ue has soundstage laid in front while akg is more enveloping. Also i think 550 is bit more resolving, takes listner a little closer to music.

Both are quiet good.

May 3, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #2,054 of 2,841
The treble on the 550s to me is the weirdest thing. I have come to the conclusion that my ears are slightly more sensitive to treble than the average persons. I almost immediately on-sold DAPs in the past because they came across as too harsh when no one else had a problem with them. I have a pair of AudioFly AF56s and although I am very happy with them every now and then their treble comes across too harsh. So with all that said you would think I hate the 550s treble. It is the weirdest thing though, I can recognise the 550s as quite treble focused headphones (along with the sub bass and so forth) but the treble on them has never offended me and I really love listening to them. I think it might be like one of the above posts said, that the treble is more glass than metal. 

May 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,055 of 2,841
Remembering what the k550 sounded like i just pulled the plug on a second k550.

Why well this amp dac ehp-02d i think will suit the way the k550 alot more in synergy because with the amp it gives that exact sound and the amp dac i am on about is alot more in the parking space so i should know because the k550 sounds clear simply put and my dt 990 on this amp or other headphone sounds clear because of the amp dac.

Just looking forward to how they will sound on this ehp-02d :)

Got mine from amazon £100 ish.

I find other amp dacs naff and in any case this one i got is a award winner as in amongst the best for price performance.

I prefer dt 990 premium 600 ohm on this amp/dac hoping if the k550 will change my mind after all my comments.

Could easy go on about them but i'll leave it hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back