The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Feb 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,952 of 2,849
Just got some Alpha Pads for my K550s today!

(sorry for the terrible picture quality)

The K550s are pretty controversial thanks to their seal issues for some. I personally didn't have too much trouble, but the seal was definitely finicky with me having to adjust the headphones frequently to maintain proper seal. I also found the stock pads to be slightly uncomfortable, feeling too flat to me and not giving my ears any space. To combat my issues with a headphones I otherwise very much liked I picked up the Alpha Pads. I can say is this has really changed the headphone for the better overall! I've only had a limited amount of listening time with the new pads but comfort is exponentially improved. My ears, instead of being squished by the original pads, now don't even touch the drivers. Sound-wise they improve the soundstage by a good margin (now comparable to my HD650s) and the bass is much improved. I must have had a sub par seal that I didn't fully realize with the stock pads because now the bass hits hard and digs nice and deep (a good bit more sub bass than my HD650s). Overall I would highly recommend to any K550/K551 owners!

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,953 of 2,849

The K550s are pretty controversial thanks to their seal issues for some. I personally didn't have too much trouble, but the seal was definitely finicky with me having to adjust the headphones frequently to maintain proper seal. I also found the stock pads to be slightly uncomfortable, feeling too flat to me and not giving my ears any space. To combat my issues with a headphones I otherwise very much liked I picked up the Alpha Pads. I can say is this has really changed the headphone for the better overall! I've only had a limited amount of listening time with the new pads but comfort is exponentially improved. My ears, instead of being squished by the original pads, now don't even touch the drivers. Sound-wise they improve the soundstage by a good margin (now comparable to my HD650s) and the bass is much improved. I must have had a sub par seal that I didn't fully realize with the stock pads because now the bass hits hard and digs nice and deep (a good bit more sub bass than my HD650s). Overall I would highly recommend to any K550/K551 owners!

I have also braided the cable of my K550s and I also use the E10.

I use them as portable headphones with my X3 and I think I already look silly enough with these huge headphones
biggrin.gif
. I don't think I would want the ear pads to be that large for portable use. It would be great for at home though. I find them a bit uncomfortable at times as my ears press ever so slightly against the driver/plastic cover. It wouldn't actually be as bad if they fully pressed against it. As I have always had a good seal, I have always thought that the bass has been good. It isn't very powerful but the deep bass on these is so clean. you can hear all those sub bass notes that aren't as noticeable with lots of other headphones. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,954 of 2,849
I have also braided the cable of my K550s and I also use the E10.

I use them as portable headphones with my X3 and I think I already look silly enough with these huge headphones:D . I don't think I would want the ear pads to be that large for portable use. It would be great for at home though. I find them a bit uncomfortable at times as my ears press ever so slightly against the driver/plastic cover. It wouldn't actually be as bad if they fully pressed against it. As I have always had a good seal, I have always thought that the bass has been good. It isn't very powerful but the deep bass on these is so clean. you can hear all those sub bass notes that aren't as noticeable with lots of other headphones. 

I agree they are quite unwieldy for portable use. I was satisfied with the bass before as well but with the new pads they are even better.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,955 of 2,849

[COLOR=222222]The K550s are pretty controversial thanks to their seal issues for some. I personally didn't have too much trouble, but the seal was definitely finicky with me having to adjust the headphones frequently to maintain proper seal. I also found the stock pads to be slightly uncomfortable, feeling too flat to me and not giving my ears any space. To combat my issues with a headphones I otherwise very much liked I picked up the Alpha Pads. I can say is this has really changed the headphone for the better overall! I've only had a limited amount of listening time with the new pads but comfort is exponentially improved. My ears, instead of being squished by the original pads, now don't even touch the drivers. Sound-wise they improve the soundstage by a good margin (now comparable to my HD650s) and the bass is much improved. I must have had a sub par seal that I didn't fully realize with the stock pads because now the bass hits hard and digs nice and deep (a good bit more sub bass than my HD650s). Overall I would highly recommend to any K550/K551 owners![/COLOR]

Is the attachment of these pads as easy as the Audeze pads or the stock pads? As in...... Line up notch and rotate?

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,958 of 2,849
They make such sexy models...here's one version of my portable set up: Colorfly C3 > Mogami 2944 I.C > JDS LABS o2 > K550 
I wanted to capture the clean and clear sound of the C3 through a largely uncoloured amp. I kinda feel the 6.5x boost on the o2 adds a little body to the overall SQ of the AKG.  Probably just my ears, but i really like it :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #1,963 of 2,849
Recabling a pair of K551 to dual entry and balanced for someone here, just waiting on wire to arrive. Can you tell which side is the stock entry side?

:D

Crappy quality phone pic. Sorry bout that!

Quality work there. Looks great!!

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,965 of 2,849
Thanks man, I'll be uploading some pictures of them with the cable installed in a couple days after the wire gets here. PlusSound 24awg copper and their Litz transparent black shielded copper. Should look awesome.

Was it difficult to do? Sound the same (guessing it would)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back