The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jul 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,681 of 2,842
  I used the "earpad stuffing" technique and it works great. Bass is a bit more present too! Which could be either good or bad depending on your taste... I also used the cable knotting technique which works great and gets a lot of attention! Thanks for a great thread!!!

Troy

Are you using thick cable in the ear pads? When I ones stuffed a pair of ear pads on my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s with anything other than a loop of cable, it just messed the sound up. I just used a ring of mains cable, cut it and put it in a loop with duct tape. I thin put it under the ear pads and it improved the fit of my AD700s. I don't need it with the K550s but I have tried it and it does increase the bass a bit.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,682 of 2,842
Which is the song (or songs) that you, K550 users consider reference, or that extracted the most of the headphones qualities for you?

I have it for about three months and still get amazed sometimes, specially with acoustic music. But, there´s always space for more knowledge in terms of music to explore with these cans, I guess...

Regards.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,684 of 2,842
  Which is the song (or songs) that you, K550 users consider reference, or that extracted the most of the headphones qualities for you?

I have it for about three months and still get amazed sometimes, specially with acoustic music. But, there´s always space for more knowledge in terms of music to explore with these cans, I guess...

Regards.

Oceania - Bjork
at 1536 kb/s
48000 khz

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,685 of 2,842

My favorite track to test out new sources and/or headphones to compare to my K550 is a 44/16 FLAC of Heart's acoustic live version of "Straight On" from their greatest hits album. It's an awesome track to showcase bass, soundstage, and female vocals.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,687 of 2,842
I have a perfect pair of K550 cans with original box & all paperwork for sale.. Upgrading to the Senn HD650's.

Cans are in perfect condition. Barely burned in....

PM me if interested.

Thanks

I also have a Fiio Kilimanjaro for sale with spare charger & battery.

I can provide pics if interested .

The reason I'm selling this stuff is because you lot got me hooked on real high-end audio ****!!!

Cheers..

Damon

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,688 of 2,842
  I have a perfect pair of K550 cans with original box & all paperwork for sale.. Upgrading to the Senn HD650's.

PM me if interested.

Thanks

The reason I'm selling this stuff is because you lot got me hooked on real high-end audio ****!!!

Cheers..

Damon

please share how much better 650 is than k550.

I auditioned HD650 for short time, and found both to be veiled, thus not very accurate timber.

but for me, it works in their favor as there is no fatiguing high frequencies in either.

as it was a short demo, could not judge which one was better. they both felt to be almost similar with different house sound. 650 had stronger bass impact but were quiet a bit slow. way too laid back for my taste.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,692 of 2,842

PM me if interested.

Thanks

Cheers..

Damon

You're not going to regret that upgrade. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of HD650's recently and they are the best headphones I've ever heard. Admittedly, I don't own any super priced cans but they gave me the same wow factor that I've not experiened since upgrading to ue triple fi 10's from Klipsch S4i a while back. Happy listening!

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,693 of 2,842
Really nice work. I´ve been listening lately to Lisa Gerrard (from Dead can Dance) and her vocals from her "Silver Tree" album on the K550 really sound supperb to me. Despite the mystique asmosphere that replicates a bit her work on the Gladiator soundtrack, if you close your eyes, she seems to be inside you...

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,694 of 2,842
One of my favorite tracks for testing how good headphones sound is the acoustic version of Radio by The Corrs.

Artist: The Corrs

Album: In Blue - Special Edition

Track: Radio (acoustic)

It is one of the best quality recordings I have come across. Not that I have even heard anything better than flacs with my K550s yet though.

Really clear acoustic guitar, very clear vocals and deep, powerful sounding bass notes.

Because it is a special edition, I'm not sure where it will be available to listen to a decent recording of it. I can't find it on Spotify.

It shows how great the K550s really can sound considering they are closed back.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,695 of 2,842
I find testing a range of different music styles is the best way of testing a new pair of cans. When I get my real "geek on" I listen to Chesky records ultimate demonstration disc which has a wide variety of styles to evaluate different aspects of performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back