The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
May 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,516 of 2,849
Yeah...no offense to anyone, but there is a reason why people with more experience with different headphones tend not like these in the long run.

It's interesting then that I've recently purchased a pair about a year after I tried them at a meet (where I thought they were interesting) and now use them often in rotation with my HD800s. I've tried virtually all mid-fi and up headphones out there having been to dozens of meets, yet after all of that experience, I bring a pair of K550s to my home and enjoy them.

I find their soundstage to be exceptional. Apart from the isolation they provide, I'd never know these were closed headphones. They put my HD600 to shame in this regard, and nearly all other open headphones I've tried. The only other closed headphone that shares the K550's remarkable soundstage is the Beyer T5p, which is over $1k, and has other oddities to the sound that make it not a worthwhile buy (namely Beyer's dramatic production variation). There are several open headphones that do have a larger soundstage than the K550, but as is the case with the K701, the soundstage feels artificial, everything is blown way back and there's no layering from near to far. HD800s are the king of soundstage both because theirs is large, but it's also extremely well layered so that you can pinpoint both X and Z axis locations. The K550's soundstage isn't quite up to that par, but isn't far behind. I've called them HD800-lite before because they share a similar signature, with K550s having a little less midrange quantity, and the overall sound quality is somewhat coarser, less revealing, and as for the 'lite' - available for 1/10th the price.

Speaking of that price, at least in the US, a K550 (refurbished) can be had for $130 straight from Harmon. It may have a few nicks and dings, but it should be functionally correct and that is the point. I'm sorry you have issues with the headband. I use mine on a small-ish setting of 2-3, while some here are at 8+ (wow!). I don't envy the designers of headphones who have to take into account such drastic differences in melons across all people.

May 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,517 of 2,849
  Since this is also labeled as an discussion thread, not only as an appreciation thread I thought it is a due time for some negative experiences with k550. First of all... These are propably the most overrated headphones  ever... These and AKG K701.

First of all, let's get one thing straight. I have nothing against AKG. I love K501....with little bass it had it is an excellent heapdhone.  Midrange presentation is one of the best I've heard and treble is so natural. If it had any bass and more precise imaging it would be one of the best dynamic headphones ever created.

Anyway... About K550... First of all, the headband? For a lot of people it is just huge. Many people have to bend it to get a proper fit. I'f i was to buy my first good expensive headphone I would not wan't to buy a heapdhone which needs adjusting. Physically bending the metal...on a 200$ headphone. Just to get a proper fit.Besides that it is built awesome, and for the current price it is a definate buy. Which is propably one of the reasons  people fall for this scam called  K550.

I love the bass, it is accurate,textured, and most of linear... But how hard it is to have a linear bass when you have very little bass? Yeah.... The easy way out. A lot of the bass amound people receive depends on the seal provided which depends on if you have a huge head or bend the headband. I got a good seal...hmmm...seal? English is not my native language so talking about seals reminds me of those cute animals living on arctic. Hmm...

Talking about arctic...it's cold... Cold like the midrange on K550. I hate exessive midrange boost, and I like K550 doesn't have it...but I don't know if it is lack of midbass or something else but mids on K550 sound shallow.

The highs are the worst part... In innerfidelity review it was said that the highs were "tizzy". The highs definately are that. Horribly undetailed tizzy highs... For a headphone that retailed for over 200$, one could expect more.

And one other thing... The soundstage. People say it is so awesome, big, and exceptional for a closed heapdhone. Well...Compared to higher end closed headphones AKG soundstage is tiny. Compared to significantly cheaper Takstar pro80 it has smaller soundstage.

I kind of like K550, I like it better than Beyerdynamic DT770. However that does not mean much.... I did not like DT770. I think Takstar Pro80 is better headphone, and it cost's hald as much as AKG does now that the price has been reduced. I would have liked K550 better if it was originally priced $100.  Headband for giants, lack of bass...and that horrible tizzy high end? All the makings of a great 300 dollar headphone? I think not..

For the current price, these make a decent buy. For 100usd or 80 euro it is a decent buy. I would not recommed paying more than that. Infact I would recommed Takstar Pro80 instead of this if you are looking for a affordable closed heapdhone.

This whole thread is filled mostly by comments "omg, I have heard things I have not heard before. Best headphones ever. Better than my PortaPro." These are a starter headphones, and for the money not the best one could get.

Sorry about being negative nancy...I'ts not that K550 is a bad headphone. It
s just that it as good 70usd headphone and nothing more.

Wow!! 
biggrin.gif

I am a newbie, so bear with me. I am returning my week old AKG K550.  Also, I am ducking the K701 too going for the AKG K712.. The AKG K550 was an experiment. I got a new pair for $143 At that price I went for them. However, almost like you, I wasn't impressed. In my 3 month old headphone  experience I have found out that 3 different people can have 3 different opinions about a headphone and they all be CORRECT..  With that said, I agree with your pricing too. Mine were on sale for $239. that was out the question, but I had a 40% off coupon, which brought the price down to $143.. Still not worth it to me.. Others might have different opinions and they be correct too. 

May 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,518 of 2,849
Yeah...no offense to anyone, but there is a reason why people with more experience with different headphones tend not like these in the long run.

It's one thing not to care for a set of headphones. It's another to start making statements like this which are untenable. How could you possibly know that to be true? :rolleyes:

May 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,519 of 2,849
Wow!! :D
I am a newbie, so bear with me. I am returning my week old AKG K550.  Also, I am ducking the K701 too going for the AKG K712.. The AKG K550 was an experiment. I got a new pair for $143 At that price I went for them. However, almost like you, I wasn't impressed. In my 3 month old headphone  experience I have found out that 3 different people can have 3 different opinions about a headphone and they all be CORRECT..  With that said, I agree with your pricing too. Mine were on sale for $239. that was out the question, but I had a 40% off coupon, which brought the price down to $143.. Still not worth it to me.. Others might have different opinions and they be correct too. 

Yep. Every headphone is like that. Once you recognize that, not much point in hanging out in discussion/appreciation threads for headphones one doesn't care for.

May 23, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,521 of 2,849

False. As I mentioned earlier, I've moved up to some serious gear and I still like the K550. I've auditioned, at length, many headphones from Audeze, HiFiMan, Sennheiser, Beyer, Shure, and Grado, all with their unique signatures. After 2 years I think the 550's are easily worth the price I paid.

May 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,522 of 2,849
Yep. Every headphone is like that. Once you recognize that, not much point in hanging out in discussion/appreciation threads for headphones one doesn't care for.

At 74 years old, I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR. In other words,

A HINT TO THE WISE IS SUFFICIENT.

I am gone from this thread, good bye.
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,525 of 2,849
Since this is also labeled as an discussion thread, not only as an appreciation thread I thought it is a due time for some negative experiences with k550. First of all... These are propably the most overrated headphones  ever... These and AKG K701.

I'd apply the "overrated" moniker to any dynamic headphone that retails for over $300 but that's just me. :)

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with either you or a headphone if the two aren't a good match. Lots of people have problems getting a good fit with K55x. If that's you then K55x isn't for you. Sennheiser Momentum and Skullcandy Aviator aren't for me because they don't fit and there's nothing that I can do to make them fit. They're simply too small for my ears. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them overrated, especially when your two most significant complaints, clamp and treble, can be adjusted quite easily. But, you ask, why should you modify a $200+ headphone? Because one size fits all does not fit all equally well. They're your headphones so make them yours for real.

May 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,526 of 2,849
Has anyone had any experience with both the K550s and the Fischer Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100?

I'm looking for a neutral and detailed sealed headphone for mostly acoustic/classical, and with discounts on Amazon in the UK the prices their prices are similar enough for me to consider both. Thanks in advance for any help!

May 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,527 of 2,849
  i urge people to understand this is an appreciation thread. criticizing it here, especially saying things that a lot of people hear opposite of, will certainly not go well with a lot of people here.

There's nothing wrong with critique, but it has to be reasonable...  And there lies the whole issue, when someone says things like "how hard it is to have a linear bass when you have very little bass?"?  It's just plain ridiculous IMHO because "very little bass" to describe the AKG 550 is nonsensical.  Put on a pair of Grado SR80s, and you'll see what "very little bass" sounds like, well no... You'll hear the bass 'hump', and a lack of deep bass... But that's the point.   Saying that the 550s have very little bass, is just plain wrong.  It's like saying: This 250 lbs woman, she's very thin and very light.  No... 250 pounds is heavy dude, that 100 pound girl is thin and light... But hey, maybe for that 1 guy 250 pounds is thin and light, because the wife is 350 pounds and by contrast, that 250 pound girl is tiny...

Anyway, as I said, it makes you wonder if the people are listening to the wrong headphones...   I mean certainly everyone is allowed to have their opinion, but then there's correct and incorrect statements, and if you go in a thread, in ANY thread, and make ridiculous statements, you're bound to get called on it...  As the old saying goes (not really an old saying), you're allowed to have an opinion, but if your opinion is wrong or stupid, then that's what it is... 

So by all means, critique away, but at least try to remain in the realm of reason.  Statements like "The highs definately are that. Horribly undetailed tizzy highs..." don't really seem that realistic to me, if it was the case, I don't think anyone would like the 550s.  Is the 550s the most detailed and realistic highs in any headphone?  Probably not, but horribly undetailed?  Nope, I have what, 3-4 other pairs of 100$ phones and another couple of >200$ headphones, the 550's are in no way that bad...

But hey, this is the internet after all...

Quote: elvergun:
 Mini 550 and V6 comparison, the V6 definitely has a brighter/more forward presentation than the 550. After some A/B, definitely noticeable; the mids and treble are more pronounced on the V6. The 550 are a bit more laid back, but the treble is still definitely present, a tad lively, definitely not muted.. The 550's bass though is stronger; more solid, goes deeper. The K550 is definitely the warmer sounding phone of the two.

Versus the Etymotic hf5, again, 550 is warmer. The Ety's bass is more comparable to the Q701, both seem to be quite brutally neutral, in all frequencies, so if a recording has bass, they'll reproduce it, but won't add anything to it, which might often sound 'lean' to some. The K550 definitely adds bass, and has a warmish tone due to it, much more so than the HF5 and Q701. As I said, they're rather laid back, because the mids are a bit further back, but the treble is still present. Bit less so than on the V6, but not that much. Still, the AKG K550 has that AKG sound, fairly balanced on average, might have more bass, but still sounds balanced, go figure!

Overall, I'd say that the Ety HF5 and Q701s definitely have that 'studio monitor' balanced/neutral sound. The V6 is definitely brighter sounding, with some bass bump/hump/boost. The K550 has more bass, extends deeper and is warmer than the 3. Its mid are a little bit more laid back, and with lively treble, but not as much as V6, probably closer to the Q701. Still sounds quite balanced to me. Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

This is exactly how I hear things.   Sometimes members describe the sound of a headphone and I have to wonder if they are deaf or if they took some heavy drugs before they put their headphones on.

Great comparison.

May 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,528 of 2,849
So my AKG K550 refurbs arrived. I feel like one cup is significantly louder than the other :/ I flipped the headphones around and I confirmed that the right cup isn't as loud. Can I send them back and get a replacement set? :/ So far I'm a little disappointed.

May 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,529 of 2,849
  So my AKG K550 refurbs arrived. I feel like one cup is significantly louder than the other :/ I flipped the headphones around and I confirmed that the right cup isn't as loud. Can I send them back and get a replacement set? :/ So far I'm a little disappointed.

It comes with a 30 day guarantee, so you can send them back if you need to. Their technical support is pretty good from what I hear.

My Modi does that sometimes if I've done something weird or unplugged it. I'm sure you've tried restarting, but if I have that problem, restarting my computer or unplugging my DAC usually fixes it. Does it do the same thing out of an iPhone or a device like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back