The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
May 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,471 of 2,841
The $300 is one of the most popular ranges because you can find astonishingly good sounding and well-built 'phones that compare to their $1000 brothers. Obviously it's up to you whether that's true or not. I personally can tell the difference, but can spare that kind of money? No, so to me it's not worth it. To others it is.

+1

I could swing getting $1000 headphones, but then I'd feel bound to them. I just got some $100 Donscorpio Dolphins that I'm enjoying quite a lot. Part of the fun is trying out and enjoying different equipment. :)

May 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,472 of 2,841
+1

I could swing getting $1000 headphones, but then I'd feel bound to them. I just got some $100 Donscorpio Dolphins that I'm enjoying quite a lot. Part of the fun is trying out and enjoying different equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like most others, I've always been a progressive buyer. In the hi-fi world, I just couldn't justify spending my money on something I didn't understand. I've spent over €2000 on an amplifier for guitar and would do it again, and am. But that's something I understand. I don't understand this world nearly as much. But in five years from now when I have a few headphones and a few amps? Maybe I'll feel like saving up my money and spending $1500 on a headphone and an amplifier combo.

May 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,473 of 2,841
I bought the K550s a few months ago at Cel's recommendation, and it hooked me. I bought all of my Schiit gear after that, then Grado SR325is, and I just got Audeze LCD-2 yesterday. I have no problem saying that I'm mostly bound to the LCD-2 now and have no desire to try anything else. The K550s serve their purpose very well for portable and office use, while the LCD-2 will never leave my home. I'm using the Grados in the office and sometimes as portables as well. Everything has its purpose and I wouldn't trade any of it.

May 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #1,474 of 2,841
can anyone speak from experience how well-made or how durable the cord is on these? also if there are any recommended cases that can be used with these?

May 9, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,475 of 2,841
Has anyone of you ever disassembled these phones yourself? I'm not quite sure how to do this w/o damaging the cups and i haven't found anything on google yet.

edit: never mind, found out myself :xf_eek: not so complicated after all.

May 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,476 of 2,841
can anyone speak from experience how well-made or how durable the cord is on these? also if there are any recommended cases that can be used with these?

The cable seems pretty tough, I can't see it breaking any time soon especially for home use. I bought this case which is quite nice. Although it does get marked in transit
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221436116716&alt=web

May 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,477 of 2,841
I would say that the cable on these isn't the best I have come across. It it too soft for what I like and am used to. Also the rubber sleeve round whatever metal is in the cable slips quite a lot so I end up with the it being very bent at one end and I have to stretch and pull on the rubber sleeve at the other side to sort it out. I end up doing this about once a week. I wish there was an easy way to tidy the cable up when you are using them as portable headphones!

I think it is because I am used to the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s and they have a very hard yet flexible cable that I have had for years and it has no damage what so ever. The K550s cable seems to be much easier to get in a tangle than my others.

I have heard some people say that the AD700s have some of the best headphone cable there is for headphones. I think that will be why I don't like the K550s cable as much.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the sound of it though.

May 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,478 of 2,841
Just pulled the trigger and ordered my K550s. Probably won't be able to sleep until they are in my hands. Thanks for all the input and help!

May 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,479 of 2,841
Just pulled the trigger and ordered my K550s. Probably won't be able to sleep until they are in my hands. Thanks for all the input and help!

Congratulations! Hope you really enjoy them! Please let us know what your thoughts are once you get them.

May 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,480 of 2,841
urbshas said:
 Just pulled the trigger and ordered my K550s. Probably won't be able to sleep until they are in my hands. Thanks for all the input and help!/img/forum/go_quote.gif

That makes two of us that have pulled the trigger on the AKG K550s.
beerchug.gif
According to the tracking, mine will be here this Tuesday.  Shucks, I should add to my signature right now.. 
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,482 of 2,841
It is a fairly thick and rubberized cord.  It is not stiff, but not it's not the super malleable spagetti type cord either.  Kind of in the middle of the spectrum, the rubber coating brings it up a notch.

It's not detachable, but does feel like it belongs on a $200 set of headphones.  Pretty high quality.

May 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,483 of 2,841
I think that people say the bass is light on these because they don't get a consistant seal.  It is there with authority when you have the right fit.

I am not a forum vet, but I have been wearing headphones for my whole mid-thirties life on this planet. The AKG 550 is the most difficult time I have ever had sizing a headphone to get the right position on my ears/head.  If they fit you though the sound is pretty great.

I'm starting to see that in a price grouping there will be a number of good sounding phones with varying sound signatures. The one that matches your music the best and fits the best should win at that point.

Two people may absolutely love the AKG 550.  But for one it is the right head phone, for the other guy it just doesn't fit and won't produce the sound it should.  I'm the later guy.  I recommend gently but firmly squeezing the headband to be tighter and using the elastic mod and/or stuffing some extra padding under the earpads.

For people who are looking:  the AKG 550 is a great product with a sizing issue for a lot of people.  Go try them or buy from a store with a good return policy.

I don't buy headphones that I can't try any more.  In a lot of cases a really comfortable fit or perfect seal will elevate a lesser headphone above a technically superior set.  Just because the 'better' phones don't fit you exactly right.

It's like buying shoes.  You really can't do it unless you try them on.

May 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,484 of 2,841
I think the most reliable mod is to simply change the pads on the K550s. I changed mine to the alpha pads from MrSpeaker, really comfy, my ears doesn't touch the driver anymore and seal is easy to get cause they make the band press more. They are a bit pricy though. I also heard the pads from Lawton should fit really good.

May 11, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #1,485 of 2,841
  I bought the K550s a few months ago at Cel's recommendation, and it hooked me. I bought all of my Schiit gear after that, then Grado SR325is, and I just got Audeze LCD-2 yesterday. I have no problem saying that I'm mostly bound to the LCD-2 now and have no desire to try anything else. The K550s serve their purpose very well for portable and office use, while the LCD-2 will never leave my home. I'm using the Grados in the office and sometimes as portables as well. Everything has its purpose and I wouldn't trade any of it.

In term of sound stage, separation and detail, is there any different between Grado 325is and AKG K550 when you play the similar song with your Schitt gear ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back