The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jan 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,171 of 2,841
  Bass on the k550 is just deep, like reaaaallly deep. The punchy impact providing fun while listening to badly recorded songs however is missing.

I guess it depends on who you ask...

To me, punchy impact does not provide fun.   On the other hand, reaaaallly deep sub-bass provides me with lots of happiness.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,172 of 2,841
To me, punchy impact does not provide fun.   On the other hand, reaaaallly deep sub-bass provides me with lots of happiness.

I'm with you there. I dislike headphones (and bass EQ) that provides excessive midbass and upper midbass (especially when it bleeds into the lower mids). Give me some usable 30hz response. In fact, I actually like bass to be boosted a bit from 60hz on down :)

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,173 of 2,841
Bass on the k550 is just deep, like reaaaallly deep. The punchy impact providing fun while listening to badly recorded songs however is missing.

Yeah I agree that they don't do so well with bad recordings or low quality files. Wrong about them lacking punchy bass though. Anyone in the Cleveland area who wants to meet up for some coffee to put that to the test?

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,174 of 2,841
I've been using K550's for the past year and edm is all I listen to. Yeah,I agree they're a little thin sounding in the bass frequencies but the way they scale with a small amount of eq and processing is better than any other hp I've tried.

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Denon D600's which are well known for being bass canons. I put about 30 hours on them and switched back to the K550 to compare. I use the DSP iir filter bass booster in foobar2000 set to 175hz and +3 bass frequency boost on the eq. The K550 had every bit as much bass quantity as I was able to get out of the d600, but it extends lower and and sounds so much better throughout the entire sound spectrum. Its a better headphone from top to bottom, so I returned the denons. Just saying... the k550s are capable of much better bass than this forum seems to give them credit for, but then again, a lot of people here have some kind of aversion to equalization as well.

lol. i totally agree with you. the akg k550 bass extension is amazing with amazing detail & texture. i personally really like the k550's bass the way it is. however, I can see why some people may not like it... esp if you have seal issues. without a good seal, the bass is definitely lacking. however, you are right you can easily EQ the amount of bass up if you so desired.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,175 of 2,841
I've had the AKG K550s for just over a year now. I haven't had any issues with the headphones themselves, like others, it's the pads that have been bothering me. The pads have tears in them, and when I plop them onto my head, they're noisy for a few seconds as they reorient themselves and settle around my ears (that might be because of the tears). It's also difficult to get a consistent fit. Does AKG at least sell replacement pads? Or does anyone have any alternate pads to recommend?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,176 of 2,841
I've had the AKG K550s for just over a year now. I haven't had any issues with the headphones themselves, like others, it's the pads that have been bothering me. The pads have tears in them, and when I plop them onto my head, they're noisy for a few seconds as they reorient themselves and settle around my ears. It's also difficult to get a consistent fit. Does AKG at least sell replacement pads? Or does anyone have any alternate pads to recommend?
The diameter of the AKG driver housing on which the ear pads are mounted is close to 110 mm. Most circular ear pads are 100 mm. After much experimenting, I settled for LCD2 ear pads.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,178 of 2,841

Intermission number:

Not really related to the discussion but I was browsing through Youtube and found this. The K550 makes an appearance here at around 1:47. haha
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting a video here.

Carry on with the discussion, guys~

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #1,180 of 2,841
My K550 is just over one and a half years old. The rubber-like coating on the outer side of the ear cups is now tacky and fluff etc will stick to it. Does anyone have the same problem here in the tropics? Isopropyl alcohol and WD40 doesn't seem to be able to reduce the stickiness. For the record, the headphones have never been used outdoors.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #1,181 of 2,841
Agree - I kept reading reviews about how the K550 was so fantastically open for a closed headphone. Never really bought into it until I got a Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear... now I understand. They really are very good with good amplification (although, in all fairness, my iPod drives them as well).

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,184 of 2,841
I know it has been mentioned that K550 have a bright highs, I've never actually thought so myself but now I found a song that really hurts my ears. Could someone take a listen to "Nightwish - Angels fall first", does the flute really pierce your ears as it does mine? Is there anything I could do about that, mod or anything for the headphones?

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,185 of 2,841
  I know it has been mentioned that K550 have a bright highs, I've never actually thought so myself but now I found a song that really hurts my ears. Could someone take a listen to "Nightwish - Angels fall first", does the flute really pierce your ears as it does mine? Is there anything I could do about that, mod or anything for the headphones?

You want to mod your headphones so you can listen to one song?
blink.gif

Here is what you can do:  find the mp3 on your hard drive...right click on it and select Delete...empty your recycle bin. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back