The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Dec 31, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,126 of 2,845

the quick & dirty: K550 definitely had better sound stage & clarity & crispier/clear treble. Also had better bass extension down into the deep low frequencies. They could actually give a solid rumble when the soundtrack called for it, but I can see how some people may be disappointed w/ the bass quantity (being slightly basshead myself heh). I really loved the AKG bass though. I thought it was very detailed, textured with great tight bass notes. I never noticed the treble sounding metallic or silibant. Everything just sounded very clear & crisp, you can hear all the details that were covered up by more colored headphones.

The Momentums also had very good sound quality (clarity, detail). But nothing really stood out to me the way things stood out for me on the K550s. The Momentums do have a bass quantity boost compared to the AKGs.

However, both my brother & I agreed that the K550 had better overall sound quality. My brother actually noticed the bass boost on the Momentums & he has absolutely no audiophile/headphone background except for Bose Quiet Comforts lol. He said he thought that the Momentums were geared more towards a fun/enjoyment vs the K550 more clear for professional listening. He also brought up the discomfort issue with the Momentum. We had both for about 2 weeks and I ended hogging the K550 most of the time hahaha. It's been a while since I've direct compared em, so I can't really get too much more detail about everything else as I don't remember, but I remember strongly preferring the K550s.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,128 of 2,845
...Just received my new pyle (e7) amp and I must say WOW! Simply amazing...Ive never used an amp before and it makes the k550 sound incredible! I truly believe that i am a headphone addict and my quest for perfect sound may have ended here...yeah right!... And whoever said bass is lacking on these is crazy! Im a battered club-kid and the bass rocks!

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,129 of 2,845
I just sold my third momentums 3 hours ago..... yes you read welll it was my 3rd pair... i tried three different momentums to try finding a pair that would fit me and i ended up selling them all... Everytime i sold one i felt sad because i really do love everything in those cans but the fit/seal was to anoying..... now i have 200 euros to spend..... i am thinking of buying a mdr 1r/k550 combination for home and outside use.... what do you guys think (i can get a used pair of mdr 1rs for 80 euros and a mint pair of k550's for 100)?

Any of these 2 will match my ex-beloved/hated momentums?

Pop, rock, and edm listener by the way....

Ps: Also what would a fiio e11 improve on the k550s?

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,130 of 2,845
  I just sold my third momentums 3 hours ago..... yes you read welll it was my 3rd pair... i tried three different momentums to try finding a pair that would fit me and i ended up selling them all... Everytime i sold one i felt sad because i really do love everything in those cans but the fit/seal was to anoying..... now i have 200 euros to spend..... i am thinking of buying a mdr 1r/k550 combination for home and outside use.... what do you guys think (i can get a used pair of mdr 1rs for 80 euros and a mint pair of k550's for 100)?

Any of these 2 will match my ex-beloved/hated momentums?

Pop, rock, and edm listener by the way....

Ps: Also what would a fiio e11 improve on the k550s?

hahaha i feel your pain. I did the same thing with my V-Moda M100s. Got them three separate times, but always ended up returning em due to fit/comfort issues.

I had the chance to play with all three: K550, Momentum, and MDR-1R at the same time for a few weeks. I actually ended up preferring both of those over the Momentum. I thought the K550 had better sound quality & the MDR-1R was insanely comfortable.

If you were trying to get two pairs of headphones, you should consider getting one open pair for home use & a closed pair for portable use.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,131 of 2,845
I can get a pair of k550s as i said for 100 euros, a pair of hd598s for 120 and the pair of 1rs for 80. So...... You think the hds would be a better option than the k550s? Even considering my tastes and love for the momentums (slightly bass)?
I have mentioned earlier but as a reminder i also have a pair of cals and hd25s...

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,132 of 2,845
I can get a pair of k550s as i said for 100 euros, a pair of hd598s for 120 and the pair of 1rs for 80. So...... You think the hds would be a better option than the k550s? Even considering my tastes and love for the momentums (slightly bass)?
I have mentioned earlier but as a reminder i also have a pair of cals and hd25s...

hahah yes, I remember you. seems like you are jumping to other threads for advice. Mmm... I personally don't know which one would be better as I never had the chance to hear the HD598s.

You need portability for sure? If so, then just get the MDR-1Rs. If not, just get the K550 (closed - if you need noise isolation) vs. HD598 (open - if you don't mind no noise isolation). No need to make things too complicated & get too many headphones at once. In the future, you can pick up something else & remember that the prices of headphones continue to drop the longer they are out. No rush. You only have one set of ears lol.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,133 of 2,845
Got my 550s with Fiio e10, pretty impressed 
atsmile.gif
 Cheers

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,135 of 2,845
After a long hiatus from the K550 due to a wine-induced fubar trying to bend the headband tighter (resulting in a broken headband), they are resurrected like Frankenstein in a lightening storm via Home Depot metal strips, some ill-advised drilling, self-tapping metal screws and prodigious duct tape. Ugly but effective and the up side-- I can bend these to as tight as wanted, producing the seal they need even on my large head.
They have zero street value but they sound so damn good (I had forgotten), I don't care.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,136 of 2,845
  After a long hiatus from the K550 due to a wine-induced fubar trying to bend the headband tighter (resulting in a broken headband), they are resurrected like Frankenstein in a lightening storm via Home Depot metal strips, some ill-advised drilling, self-tapping metal screws and prodigious duct tape. Ugly but effective and the up side-- I can bend these to as tight as wanted, producing the seal they need even on my large head.
They have zero street value but they sound so damn good (I had forgotten), I don't care.

eek.gif

From now on, lay off the bottle while you are listening to music. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,139 of 2,845

lmao

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,140 of 2,845
Well, I finally bought a pair of these today. I won't go into any details regarding first impressions etc as I understand the burn-in necessary for these cans.

One question I have though is: Do any of you have a good recommendation for a good case that these would fit into nicely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back