The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Dec 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,081 of 2,849

Nice writeup, ampair. I wish more comparisons used this table format. I'd be inclined to say that the K550 is even more "bang for the buck" as they have about 90% the soundstage (which is truly impressive for closed design) and about 85% the detail of the Q701. And the K550 doesn't need a beefy amp to truly shine unlike the Q701.

I'd say overall the Q701 may have overall better sq, but not leaps over the K550. The Q701 is much grainier compared to the totally black background of the K550. It is also subjective depending on your musical taste. The Q701/K702 tend to sound somewhat thin, and for at least some genres, can sound oddly artificial (ie not as musical as K550). Genres like pop and newer rock sound much better on the K550 IMO, but genres like electronic music and jazz/classical sound really good on the Q701, where you may want a more analytical and spacious sound signature. The Q701 does sound very good when it comes to stringed instruments.

I've never used the Audinst hud, but if it's comparable to the FiiO E10 it probably won't be enough power for the Q701. They use a ridiculous amount of juice. If you're looking for a budget amp, I do know that the FiiO E09K actually drives them quite well, and can be had for a little more than $100.

If you can, try them both and sell whichever one you like least. They are both great for different situations.

Also the coloration of both are different; the 550's bass is more prominent, the q701 might be a tad on the lean side, the 550 tad on the warm side, both fairly neutral. Two quite similar (AKG) yet dissimilar sound. I could see some prefering the 550; those who prefer bass bit on the warm side, they do feel more 'powerful'.

Thanks for your detailed views (no pun intended).
I certainly do not want to hear bass slam. would like nice textured bass with good decay.
would prefer a neutral presentation but forward mids is ok. also good performance on string instruments is preferred.
I have not heard a clinical headphone before but I guess musicality is important.
Also i think audinst will drive k550 but perhaps i can create a rig around q701. so both are equal in this regard, i guess.
Also will be buying from another country on a short trip so can't listen and choose. am sure will like em both but a little bit maybe can make a difference.

am getting a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,082 of 2,849
@vaibhavp

Instead of the Q701 you could consider the K701. The K701 is round about 100 $ / 100 € less expensive than the Q701. Here are a lot of discussions, if the Q701 is better than the K701. Some say that they hear a difference (Q701 better) others say there is no difference.

I have never tested the Q701, but I own a K701. From my point of view the K701 is excellent for use at home. I hear Classical, Jazz, Pop an Rock.

But for getting good results with the K701 (and Q701) you should use a headphone amp. I am using an Objective2 with my K701 and I am satisfied.

I don't want to make things more complicated for you - but maybe the less expensive K701 (compared to the Q701) can help you to to make a decission.

Edit:

By the way, I also own a AKG K550. I am using the K550 for listening in the evening while my wife watches TV. The closed design isolates very good. The K701 is used when I am listening without disturbance by TV watchers are other noises. To make a long story short: Two different earphones for two different hearing situations.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,083 of 2,849
  @vaibhavp

Instead of the Q701 you could consider the K701. The K701 is round about 100 $ / 100 € less expensive than the Q701. Here are a lot of discussions, if the Q701 is better than the K701. Some say that they hear a difference (Q701 better) others say there is no difference.

I have never tested the Q701, but I own a K701. From my point of view the K701 is excellent for use at home. I hear Classical, Jazz, Pop an Rock.

But for getting good results with the K701 (and Q701) you should use a headphone amp. I am using an Objective2 with my K701 and I am satisfied.

I don't want to make things more complicated for you - but maybe the less expensive K701 (compared to the Q701) can help you to to make a decission.

Edit:

By the way, I also own a AKG K550. I am using the K550 for listening in the evening while my wife watches TV. The closed design isolates very good. The K701 is used when I am listening without disturbance by TV watchers are other noises. To make a long story short: Two different earphones for two different hearing situations.

thanks,

actually I am getting q701 cheaper. I have read from a lot of threads that both k and q are same or very similar, so I zeroed on q701. would prefer k if for same price, if only for that packaging.

main priority is classical, jazz, and rock. no pop or electronic music. i listen to music at home to relax.

as isolation is not a concern, I guess i can stick with q701. will add a dedicated amp like schiit magni or vali in future. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,085 of 2,849
Dec 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,086 of 2,849
Vai: also depends on what other headphones you have. But imho, similar to what others have said, q701 are probly better cans overall. More detailed, spacious, more neutral (though ever slightly bass light I think, though sticker mod is an option), the 550 is a bit more mellow, and slightly warmer... Say 50 bass amount is perfect, Q is maybe 46, 550 maybe 55, and beyer 990 is 75 or so.. So it's relative, both are fairly neutral but opposite side... I like both, difference is there, but it's good on both sides. More a matter of preference, but if you aren't anal about presentation, both should fit the bill :)

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,088 of 2,849
Vai: also depends on what other headphones you have. But imho, similar to what others have said, q701 are probly better cans overall. More detailed, spacious, more neutral (though ever slightly bass light I think, though sticker mod is an option), the 550 is a bit more mellow, and slightly warmer... Say 50 bass amount is perfect, Q is maybe 46, 550 maybe 55, and beyer 990 is 75 or so.. So it's relative, both are fairly neutral but opposite side... I like both, difference is there, but it's good on both sides. More a matter of preference, but if you aren't anal about presentation, both should fit the bill
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes - go for the Q701 - with an amp like Schiit you will not be disappointed. You have made a dicission for a very good head-fi gear!

thanks. so q701 it is then.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,089 of 2,849
Two youtube vids about both:  550: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQ_PPvD9Bk (2 mins for sound)   Q701: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kfzAiZafs

But yeah, can't go wrong with Q701 :)  I use my 550 at work with an Aune T1, work great!  For 200$ or so pretty good value. I can't help but mention the Sony V6s though which at around or less than 1/2 of the price, also do a stellar job, bargain!  At home I use Q701, Beyers 990s and Grados SR80s, none of which I could use at work because of their lack of isolation, which I think is the biggest 550 sales point.  But yeah, enjoy!  :D

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,090 of 2,849
Very helpful. My only problem with these is that they're slightly big for my head (and that's not even much of a problem). I bought these with never trying them out before, and I am very glad I did so. You shouldn't have much of a problem with buying these blind.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,091 of 2,849
Hi there! I'm thinking of getting a pair and I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out which Fiio dac/amp would be good for the K550. I'll be using these at home straight out of a 5th gen iPod Touch or my Lenovo laptop (which has crap sound card) so I'll probably benefit from getting a dac/amp. Which among the E07, E10, E17 or X3 will be best for these? Any other Fiio models which will pair better with these?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,092 of 2,849

Hi there! I'm thinking of getting a pair and I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out which Fiio dac/amp would be good for the K550. I'll be using these at home straight out of a 5th gen iPod Touch or my Lenovo laptop (which has crap sound card) so I'll probably benefit from getting a dac/amp. Which among the E07, E10, E17 or X3 will be best for these? Any other Fiio models which will pair better with these?
smily_headphones1.gif

They should all work well with any of those models...and any of those models is better than a crappy sound card.  I have the E07 and I really like it.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,093 of 2,849

They should all work well with any of those models...and any of those models is better than a crappy sound card.  I have the E07 and I really like it.

Ok, that's good to know. :) Are these Fiio models what you would call "warm"? Sorry for being such a newbie but I read somewhere that the K550 would do better with a warm amp/dac.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,094 of 2,849

Ok, that's good to know. :) Are these Fiio models what you would call "warm"? Sorry for being such a newbie but I read somewhere that the K550 would do better with a warm amp/dac.

I would consider my Fiio to be more neutral than warm.   They come with a nice bass boost feature, but the K550 has more than enough bass as it is.  If you go with the E07 or E17 they can double up as quite versitile little portable amps if the need arises.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,095 of 2,849

I would consider my Fiio to be more neutral than warm.   They come with a nice bass boost feature, but the K550 has more than enough bass as it is.  If you go with the E07 or E17 they can double up as quite versitile little portable amps if the need arises.

Alright, thanks a lot! :D I'll look up more into those two. About the X3, though, will it do the job just as well as the E07 or E17 as a dac/amp, plus the added benefit of being a portable player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back