The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 4, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #2,641 of 2,849
Just bumping the thread... got used (but in excellent condition) AKG K550 - looks like MK1 model...

Very surprised by these, they sound a whole lot different than I expected (and perhaps hoped for). For the positives, there is that analogue-ish quality of the sound (I did somehow expect it) and they have nice detail retrieval (not the world's best, but more than decent)...

Now, for the less flattering part: Coming from the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 (the right channel crapped out on them, for no reason at all, as they were used exclusive at home) and AKG K701, K701s are amped by the dedicated all tube headphone amp with more than excellent results, and previousy with one solid state headphone amp, to the very satisfying results - I am having hard time getting used to the sound signature of the AKG K550.
I was also the long time user of the venerable AKG K240M (600Ω) and use from time to time even the old AKG K66 (for the simplest, casual monitoring purposes), and pinnacle of all, to me - the Grado GS1000.

Many people would find my reasons for these difficulties of getting used to this cans very surprising, but as I hear it, and it is very palpable feeling, the thing is following:

To my ears, at the moment, the K550s have overbearing, rumbling (at times) bass, which sounds far less tight, far less defined, and border line flabby on some modern EDM tracks, as compared to all of the previously mentioned headphones.

The ATH-MSR7, which is in similar price bracket and intended segment of use, are to me a lot clearer, more resolving and better defined (in sound, particularly in bass, being more tight and punchy) headphones.

They do not have this rumbling sub-bass (or sheer bass resonance with I experience at times) that is exuded by the K550.
The difference was very noticeable as an off-the bat impression, and remains throughout the first day of listening, in direct comparisons to other cans I have (still working) at home.

Some users here have expressed the same initial expressions regarding the booming bass, earlier in this thread, and since I got these used, the only glimmer of hope I have for these is that did not have much listening hours on them, so that they would perhaps tighten up a bit in the bass region... although it is a very slight and faint hope, since I somehow do not think that the sound signature of these can change that much, really.

Reading so many reviews and impressions uniformly stating how detailed and well resolved these are , I do feel a bit underwhelmed, to say the least, mostly due to this strange bass resonance (the MSR7 do have the substantial vents at the lower part of the cups, and i think these might have benefited from the same) that I am really not used to.

Someone said that, compared to the old AKG 240M, and other classic cans, the bass on these seems both unnatural, exaggerated and artificially enhanced towards the subbass region, and I have the same impression. Textures and timbre of the bass, layering and detail in that region, to me gets (comparatively) lost due to this.

The thing I am noticing at this moment as well is how these are susceptible to the change in sound due to the placement of the cups on the head, as hardly any other headphone I have used before.

While pleasant (somewhat) sounding, I also feel that these do exert the less "exact sound" (less defined, delineated and carved, so to speak) than the cans I have mentioned in this post.

I can easily say that I do sorely miss the sound of the MSR7 . I did not want to get the new pair of those, since they were not available at retailers' in the GM color scheme, and are about to get phased out for the updated model elsewhere (the MSR7b), and was disappointed by the right channel ceasing to work for no reason whatsoever. I thought the K550 might be more reliable and durable, similar sounding can. However, the difference in sound is far, far more than I ever expected. The subbass (and sort of mild reverb in bass) on the K550 is the main culprit to me, as subjectively perceived - the very strong presence of it.

Wish that my MSR7s could have got repaired instead, and diagnosed in what the fault was. I do miss their sound dearly, in comparison. The bass on those to me was never, on the contrary to many impressions, anemic, but well defined, textured (in the price bracket) and they were tight (bass) and very resolved in the sound, overall.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #2,642 of 2,849
The issue is you are used to headphones that are more colored than the K550. A lot of these have a mid-centric sound with some treble elevation. The K550 is very close to neutral but with boosted sub bass which does not hurt its neutrality at all. Sub bass is a bit harder to hear and it actually functions as compensation for the fact that some songs are bass light. I got used to the extra bass quite quickly and I found the overall signature to resemble a full range speaker the most compared to the AKGs that you listed. I ended up hating the K712 with its wonky FR and rather compressed and harsh sound.

There are at least two types of audiophiles: those who look for a neutral\natural sounding reference headphone and those who look for a headphone that excites them. Neutral headphones tend to lack excitement but the details are there all the same, just not super in your face.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #2,643 of 2,849
The issue is you are used to headphones that are more colored than the K550. A lot of these have a mid-centric sound with some treble elevation. The K550 is very close to neutral but with boosted sub bass which does not hurt its neutrality at all. Sub bass is a bit harder to hear and it actually functions as compensation for the fact that some songs are bass light. I got used to the extra bass quite quickly and I found the overall signature to resemble a full range speaker the most compared to the AKGs that you listed. I ended up hating the K712 with its wonky FR and rather compressed and harsh sound.

There are at least two types of audiophiles: those who look for a neutral\natural sounding reference headphone and those who look for a headphone that excites them. Neutral headphones tend to lack excitement but the details are there all the same, just not super in your face.

Well, even though I do see some points you have raised, I do see things in a different way.

These headphones. to me, come (first impression) no way near the flat, natural sound signature that well amped (and this is crucial in this case) K701 can produce. Being accused of all of what they are often accused of, to me, the K701s amped with both of my headphone amps, in particular with the all tube amp, which is not warm or syrupy sounding either, blow these K550s out of the water.

I would never call (and this is highly subjective, not supported by measurements) the K7XX series , in particular not the K701, anything like compressed of wonky in FR, in particular not in comparison to the K550.. The K701, to me feel much more true to the music, picturing the textures, layers and timbre of the bass, when properly amped in more precise, life like and detailed manner, far more pleasurable to hear. (I do listen to the very bass emphasized music, lately often EDM with synth-bass in all flavours, but also classic and other genres) . As one user put it, you discern different types of bass, whereas the 550s give more of a smeared, veiled picture in that regard.
The 550s sound noticeably darker, comparatively, on some tracks, even without the booming bass present.

Prior to purchasing the K701 I had a brief demo vs. K612, K712, and some other K7-- variant. I went with no hesitation, having no prior experience with either of these, for the K701.

For mobile purposes, tried the B&W P7, liked them more than the NAD Viso HP50 (livelier sound, more engaging), tried the Denon AH-MM400 and tried really hard to like them, but the bass was too strong and overwhelming making them sound dark (I was far from alone in this assessment).

Found the ATH-MSR7, mainly for the EDM, and never looked back, I knew they hit the soft (right) spot.

I forgot to mention - I owned and listened extensively A-B to the Sennheiser HD600, and while they are really, really good, (way better than the K550 to my ears) - I felt no need to keep them while having the K701, that are faster, more engaging and thus more exciting to listen.

To point out the strongest impression, thus far, of these headphones (the AKG K550): the resonance of the cups - housing, has the noticeable reverb - or resonance effect at times, when the given track induces it, and unilke in other headphones I like, resulting in subbass-, almost subwoofer like effect, which caught me completely off guard, and does - to me - spoil the music experience completely in good amount of the material that I have listened to today. It is not present on all tracks, but it is there and causes these cans to sound like something I do not feel think flatters the music.

Whether this is the mentioned "cupped hands" effect - tonality caused by the housing, or the combination of that and the (lack of the?) tuning of the drivers, difficult to say, my guess is that is entirely the former.

To me, the K550 exerts the far less "neutral", uncolored sound picture - portrayal - across the plethora of tracks I am trying them with, than the MSR7s, and in particular the K701s, as well as the HD600s.
The GS1000s are in the league of their own.

The main part of all of this, what I have experienced thus far today and through the evening, boils down pretty much to what some other users have described in posts like these:

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-25480

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-25748

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-26211

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-26460

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,644 of 2,849
I know what you mean. There is something about colored headphones like the K701 that make them seem more lively or exciting. However, that comes with pretty big compromises. I was just like you, a guy who preferred that exciting sound of the K712 (even more colored mids) but as I started to EQ them and heard other headphones I learned the importance of neutrality. See, I actually used to experience hearing fatigue quite often with those treble and mid boosted AKGs but having switched to Etymotics, which are world renowned for accuracy, I think I overwhelmingly prefer a neutral sound due to its fatigue free sound signature.

You have your own preferences which are fine but the K550 are more scientifically accurate. The K701 is a bit too colored to meet either the Diffuse Field or the Harman targets in the mids. You're kinda wrong about the bass. It's mostly your perception and you will definitely get used to it. From what I recall the sub bass doesn't bleed into the mids at all and it does have a pleasant sound to it most of the time. If you've heard reasonably accurate speakers in real life you should find the K550 pretty damn accurate. The sub bass boost improves the dynamics of the headphone too. As for its texture and details, again, I found it on par with a good speaker. Nothing to complain really. It's just slightly boomier but in a controlled way. I think the quality of the bass is about the same as the open back AGKs. In fact the K550 bass might be slightly punchier denoting higher resolution in the bass.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,645 of 2,849
Hello everybody

This morning I received the M11.
I haven't been able to reach my NAS files through FiiO's DLNA as of now. The device only finds my NAS as a ''twonkey server'' (or something similar) and under this profile there is no music whatsoever. My NAS is a WD MyCloud Mirror and I haven't had issues with other players (X5-iii included) to browse files from.

I can only play NAS files through Hiby music which is not ideal as it's slow and buggy plus it does not display album art.

Given the above and that I can't use UAPP with M11 with which I used to play my NAS files, the device is rendered useless to me.
Unless someone has an idea, I will have to consider returning it.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2,647 of 2,849
I know what you mean. There is something about colored headphones like the K701 that make them seem more lively or exciting. However, that comes with pretty big compromises. I was just like you, a guy who preferred that exciting sound of the K712 (even more colored mids) but as I started to EQ them and heard other headphones I learned the importance of neutrality. See, I actually used to experience hearing fatigue quite often with those treble and mid boosted AKGs but having switched to Etymotics, which are world renowned for accuracy, I think I overwhelmingly prefer a neutral sound due to its fatigue free sound signature.

You have your own preferences which are fine but the K550 are more scientifically accurate. The K701 is a bit too colored to meet either the Diffuse Field or the Harman targets in the mids. You're kinda wrong about the bass. It's mostly your perception and you will definitely get used to it. From what I recall the sub bass doesn't bleed into the mids at all and it does have a pleasant sound to it most of the time. If you've heard reasonably accurate speakers in real life you should find the K550 pretty damn accurate. The sub bass boost improves the dynamics of the headphone too. As for its texture and details, again, I found it on par with a good speaker. Nothing to complain really. It's just slightly boomier but in a controlled way. I think the quality of the bass is about the same as the open back AGKs. In fact the K550 bass might be slightly punchier denoting higher resolution in the bass.

Yea i certainly don't find the bass overpowering at all on these. It certainly doesn't bleed into the midrange. I find the biggest issue with these headphones (i own the MKI and MKIII) is that both have really thin midrange. It is very sharp and clear but lacks weight to it. However, the bass and most obviously, the deeper notes are certainly quite strong, but in no way over powering. But compared to any of my open backed headphones that I have owned (being the AT ATH-AD700s, Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium and AKG K702), the K550s do have more bass. But that is sort of to be expected as they are closed back. But compared to most closed back headphones I have heard, these really don't have much in the way of bass. It is the high end that is clearly boosted. They just have the right amount to me. The problem I have with them is when travelling around on buses and similar, the vibration from the engine and the roads really takes over the bass making it very tricky to follow the notes. I find the bass boost on my FiiO X3 very good here. At 100hz, it can either boost or decrease bass by up to 10db up or down. This sounds rather poor when listening at home as it messes up the midrange a bit and isn't needed anyway. But when moving about, it really does make them sound as good as in a quiet area. As strange as it may seem, most of the time i have it as high as either +6 or +8db. But when at home, they don't need anything adding. Sometimes when I listen to my other headphones such as my ATH-AD700s for quite some time, then try the K550s, the bass sounds overwhelming for a bit. But that is purely just getting used to them. If I compare my K550s bass to my JBL control 1 speakers and Wharfedale subwoofer, the bass with this setup is on another level to the K550s (significantly more), but when you get used to it, even this still doesn't sound overwhelming.

I think it is just the case of getting used to a different sound.

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,648 of 2,849
If you want an upgrade for your K550s in IEM form with way better isolation look no further than the ER4XR from Etymotic. Those are even flatter in terms of tuning, especially in the highs, and they sound more lively, a lot like a hi-fi speaker. Very hi-fi. Dynamics are a bit better than the K550 but still a little soft. However, the detail and depth are significantly better. I believe the ER4XR images slightly wider than the K550 and there is a bit of depth compared to the flat image of the AKGs.

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #2,649 of 2,849
Might also have a lot to do with the actual music being listened to, how they are driven and how the listener perceives bass. My thoughts from 6 years ago: "They're here! Few random thoughts after having listened to them a good part of the day. So far, they're pretty good! The bass is quite impressive. Definitely more of a warm sounding headphone rather than a bright one. No significant sibilance or harshness on the high end as I was worried. A bit warmer (more low end) than the Q701s but not to the point where the bass is overwhelming, sounds quite well balanced, and the bass does extend quite a bit lower. Powerful bass! Overall, quite a balanced and very good sounding phone!".

I'd still rather agree. Being that they're closed, there's some compromise vs open; bit less resolution/detail, but that bass though, the Q701 can sound a bit dry in comparison, and on some tracks I'm used to the 550s, I'm often finding myself missing them and feel like the Q701 is just dry. The 550 has serious low bass (<40hz), the Q701 / 701 is much worse in that regard, as it drops significantly in amplitude; so it's elevated low bass for 550 vs very reduced for 701.

But take something like this track, at around 20s the bass starts, and it so far back in the mix when played with 701, that quality doesn't even enter the equation... 550 can really do wonders on similar tracks;

Old post about 550 bass:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...scussion-thread.613707/page-168#post-14173899

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #2,650 of 2,849
Well, even though I do see some points you have raised, I do see things in a different way.

These headphones. to me, come (first impression) no way near the flat, natural sound signature that well amped (and this is crucial in this case) K701 can produce. Being accused of all of what they are often accused of, to me, the K701s amped with both of my headphone amps, in particular with the all tube amp, which is not warm or syrupy sounding either, blow these K550s out of the water.

I would never call (and this is highly subjective, not supported by measurements) the K7XX series , in particular not the K701, anything like compressed of wonky in FR, in particular not in comparison to the K550.. The K701, to me feel much more true to the music, picturing the textures, layers and timbre of the bass, when properly amped in more precise, life like and detailed manner, far more pleasurable to hear. (I do listen to the very bass emphasized music, lately often EDM with synth-bass in all flavours, but also classic and other genres) . As one user put it, you discern different types of bass, whereas the 550s give more of a smeared, veiled picture in that regard.
The 550s sound noticeably darker, comparatively, on some tracks, even without the booming bass present.

Prior to purchasing the K701 I had a brief demo vs. K612, K712, and some other K7-- variant. I went with no hesitation, having no prior experience with either of these, for the K701.

For mobile purposes, tried the B&W P7, liked them more than the NAD Viso HP50 (livelier sound, more engaging), tried the Denon AH-MM400 and tried really hard to like them, but the bass was too strong and overwhelming making them sound dark (I was far from alone in this assessment).

Found the ATH-MSR7, mainly for the EDM, and never looked back, I knew they hit the soft (right) spot.

I forgot to mention - I owned and listened extensively A-B to the Sennheiser HD600, and while they are really, really good, (way better than the K550 to my ears) - I felt no need to keep them while having the K701, that are faster, more engaging and thus more exciting to listen.

To point out the strongest impression, thus far, of these headphones (the AKG K550): the resonance of the cups - housing, has the noticeable reverb - or resonance effect at times, when the given track induces it, and unilke in other headphones I like, resulting in subbass-, almost subwoofer like effect, which caught me completely off guard, and does - to me - spoil the music experience completely in good amount of the material that I have listened to today. It is not present on all tracks, but it is there and causes these cans to sound like something I do not feel think flatters the music.

Whether this is the mentioned "cupped hands" effect - tonality caused by the housing, or the combination of that and the (lack of the?) tuning of the drivers, difficult to say, my guess is that is entirely the former.

To me, the K550 exerts the far less "neutral", uncolored sound picture - portrayal - across the plethora of tracks I am trying them with, than the MSR7s, and in particular the K701s, as well as the HD600s.
The GS1000s are in the league of their own.

The main part of all of this, what I have experienced thus far today and through the evening, boils down pretty much to what some other users have described in posts like these:

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-25480

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-25748

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-26211

https://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/2/#comment-26460
Your experience and observations almost entirely reflect my own.
I do find K553 and K550 to sound flatter than my K701, but FR is only a little piece of the puzzle, even with EQ to mitigate K701's FR peaks and whatever else, or outright purge its treble completely, the only way to impede K701's vastly greater resolution and transparency is to kill the headphone altogether, be it literally or not, or plug it into a lo-fi source.
I got used to K701 sounding compressed versus anything else for years, but then an amp I picked up a while ago showed me that the right amp eliminates the compression.
I still consider K55x neutral(-like), just not in the same class as EQ'd K701 & K702, but the open headphones tend to sometimes be very impractical because they don't isolate from the environment at all like a good closed-back.

"Pro-neutral" audiophiles versus "pro-excitement"? There are those two, yes, but there are easily nearly as many of us who swing both ways, perhaps more. Simultaneously, lol
We likely have the bigger headphone collections, too.

Sep 15, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #2,654 of 2,849
Interesting, i don't see them on Richer sounds' site int he UK any more.

I have to say, i do think my K550 MKIII are built fine, but my experience of the AKG K702s was not good.

They felt horrid. The only sence of quality was the leather-ish headband. The transparent plastic used for part with holes in that was part of the adjustment felt like plastic food packaging. The metal mesh "effect" were all plastic. Everything was plastic other than the drivers and the headband it seemed. When i had them on, the first pair creaked and popped whenever i moved about quite loudly. Incredibly annoying. It was much worse than one side than the other. Amazon sent me a replacement, but these soon gave up on one channel. I found out that when i opened them up, the soldering job was simply a joke. The quality control is shockingly poor here. I don't know how it can have been soldered this poor that the wire unattached itself from the post. I could have mended it but i sent it back to amazon and got a refund despite having it for quite some time.

This was sometime ago now but even my original K550s had the left channel start to rattle and distort which AKG did sort out and have been fine ever since. But i have to say, build quality does not appear good from them any more. But that seems the same with many modern headphones IMO. My long discontinued Audio Technica ATH-AD700s may creak quite a lot while wearing, but at least it is quiet and doesn't just do it on one side. It is predictable. But they are rock solid and the cable is the best i have come across. I think they have been discontinued for ages as well as first brought out well before I bought them. And I think I've had them for nearly 10 years now. They were not even expensive at under 90GBP. I honestly feel that headphones from 15+ years ago were built to last far longer than what they are now. I have a strong feeling my AD700s will last longer than my K550 MKIII, despite having had them as long as i have

Things are just no longer built the same way. At least the stuff that isn't high end isn't.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #2,655 of 2,849
Well that is good to hear about AKG hopefully they do come back with some replacements or improved headphones.

I work with many electrical goods in general and yeah the quality control appears just to be ticked and moved on process with many goods, laptops, tablets, computers and tvs etc.
They just don't make them like the old days when a TV would last a few decades, now a days lucky if we get a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back