The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
May 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,326 of 2,842
A question.

I'm very much interested in the K550s but I'm not sure if they'll be comfortable for me to use since I have rather large ears.

In comparison, I have the HE-400s with Focus pads and they just about fit around my ears but without much leeway.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm...coming from the HE-400 I think you would miss some bass with the K550
I own it but have upgraded to the beyer dt1770 and I dont use the K550 anymore
It lacks a bit of bass ans the trebles are "plasticky" un comparison to my other headphones (x2,t1,dt880,dt1770)
I think you can find another model in the same price range

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,328 of 2,842
So I have been toying with small internal mods on my k551 here is some pics

I used cotton on the inside of the cup. I cut slits in it so that the driver plate still makes a good seal. On the driver plate I used clay to fill the empty spaces that do not have vents drilled in them. Lastly I put a very thin piece of felt between the ear pad and the driver.

The results:
-Bass
It definitely added sub bass. I am not sure if this is a result of the damping materials alone though. When I removed the faceplate it could have added a slight gap when I put it back on. The difference in quantity of sub bass is noticeable but not huge.

-Mids
About the same, upper mids are slightly lowered

-Treble
Higher frequencies are calmed down a decent amount. There does seem to be a slight disconnect between the majority of the treble and the highest notes. 

edit. forgot to mention that these modifications did seem to kill the soundstage, the headphones now sound quite intimate. I think the cotton used internally is what did this. The pad is not very thick(~2mm) but it does fluff up. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,329 of 2,842
Hmmmm...coming from the HE-400 I think you would miss some bass with the K550
I own it but have upgraded to the beyer dt1770 and I dont use the K550 anymore
It lacks a bit of bass ans the trebles are "plasticky" un comparison to my other headphones (x2,t1,dt880,dt1770)
I think you can find another model in the same price range

How do you think K550 comparing to Beyer DT1770? Is there really huge (or at least big) difference? I just had a chance to listen both in a shop and to me DT1770 have very little bass and too much treble, so I found K550 to be just a bit more balanced. I am just wondering if having those for longer time you made more detailed comparison.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,330 of 2,842

How do you think K550 comparing to Beyer DT1770? Is there really huge (or at least big) difference? I just had a chance to listen both in a shop and to me DT1770 have very little bass and too much treble, so I found K550 to be just a bit more balanced. I am just wondering if having those for longer time you made more detailed comparison.

tdebug, 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here! I've compared the K550 to headphones that cost almost TRIPLE what I paid for mine (the K550 MK II, which sound EXACTLY the same as the K550 and the K553), and they simply couldn't do what the K550 can. They either had TOO much bass and/or weren't as clear, or also they typically didn't have the same WIDE vast soundstage that the K550 offers as well. I just don't think these can be beat, at least not for under the $500-$700 range (if not higher). 

Not sure how much the K550 were at the store you went to, but I bought my K550 MK II (again same thing, though I think the MK II version looks cooler b/c of how the model name is displayed ((vertically, not horizontally))) from this reputable seller on eBay for only $142.99 (now $3 more). Awesome deal....... plus got the 3-year $20 warranty as well. Can't find a deal like that elsewhere. 

To make these sound their best, you'll want a solid amp/DAC as well. Check out either the $100 AudioQuest Dragonfly Black v1.5, the $200 Red v1.5, or the $300 Oppo HA-2 (which is what I use). The first 2 get powered by your smartphone (the Red sounds slightly better but uses more power), where the HA-2 has its own battery. If you already have a premium stand-alone player, then just use that instead. But if you play off your smartphone like I do, then these are MUSTS if you want to hear 100% of what your headphones can do. Or else I'd say you're hearing maybe 70% at best. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,334 of 2,842
  Thanks for sharing your experience with us here! I've compared the K550 to headphones that cost almost TRIPLE what I paid for mine (the K550 MK II, which sound EXACTLY the same as the K550 and the K553), and they simply couldn't do what the K550 can. They either had TOO much bass and/or weren't as clear, or also they typically didn't have the same WIDE vast soundstage that the K550 offers as well. I just don't think these can be beat, at least not for under the $500-$700 range (if not higher). 

Still in my opinion K550 MK II well worth the price, but not more really. For example Sennheiser HD600 sound a lot better than 550s, but I do understand that might be not the right comparison, given the exactly 3x price of HD600s as well as their open design, so they just fall into different category. However compared to similar level, overpopular Audiotechnica 50x, 550MKII have a lot more clarity and better mids. 
 I just got mine 550MKII and the more I listen to them, the more I think that they fall into bright side, rather than balanced - still too much treble and not so much bass. I wonder if burn-in would help.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,335 of 2,842

Still in my opinion K550 MK II well worth the price, but not more really. For example Sennheiser HD600 sound a lot better than 550s, but I do understand that might be not the right comparison, given the exactly 3x price of HD600s as well as their open design, so they just fall into different category. However compared to similar level, overpopular Audiotechnica 50x, 550MKII have a lot more clarity and better mids. 
 I just got mine 550MKII and the more I listen to them, the more I think that they fall into bright side, rather than balanced - still too much treble and not so much bass. I wonder if burn-in would help.

tdebug, 

I've heard numerous ppl (me included) say that they definitely DO notice an improvement on the sound quality (esp bass) on the K550/K550 MK II headphones after doing some burn-in. So I'd recommend doing that. 

Well also, those Sennheiser headphones are all open-back, where the K550 MK II are closed-back. 

Yeah, I had the AT-M50x........... prob the worst headphones I've ever owned. I'd returned those PRETTY quickly. lol Yes, they are IMO very overrated. 

Just keep listening. Do you have a good amp/DAC or DAP or no?

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,336 of 2,842

For these headphones I use a Teac Ha-501 and/or an Icon audio Hp8 mkii + a hrt streamerii+ dac
Honestly the DT1770 is the better one, in every department.
There is obviously more bass,the trebles are much more detailed, the dynamic is better, there is no "plasticky" tone in mids and highs, etc...another league, really (I also own the beyer T1 and the Philips X2).
I have tried many times to go back the K550 but for now... :wink:

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,337 of 2,842

In my experience the k551s changed quite a bit after burn in, the trebble became a slight bit softer than it was when I got them. Then there is the bass which becomes more pronounced after a burn in, it's still not heavy on the bass side but it becomes a bit more balanced in my opinion.

They are starting to get a  bit old now though, so my memory might be a bit foggy as to the specific details.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,338 of 2,842
  another thing i should say is that i removed the white ring around the driver because it was starting to fall of, and i instal foam rings from my akg k601 inside the cups behind the driver

I noticed the bass quantity increased slightly when I took those white rings off. I still have the original ear-pads. To me, I feel the holes act a bit like bass ports. Some may prefer the sound when they were covered up though.

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,339 of 2,842
  another thing i should say is that i removed the white ring around the driver because it was starting to fall of, and i instal foam rings from my akg k601 inside the cups behind the driver

What ring are you talking about? there is the ring on the back side of the driver and also one on the plate that the pads mount too. pics plz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back