The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #1,891 of 2,849
Hi guys,
I have some problem with my K550 - maybe not a problem but weird situation.
I've bought used headphones(one month old), they look and play perfectly but... when I'm putting those on my head and try to place them and press softly to my ears, there is some quiet plastic/foil click sound. I've removed earpads to check how it looks and it's seems that everything is alright, I'm guessing that's the sound of this round tape/foil around the driver cover but I'm not shure.
There is no quirks in sound when those cans are connected to player but I wonder what is this sound.
Any idea?

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,892 of 2,849
Hi guys,
I've bought used headphones(one month old), they look and play perfectly but... when I'm putting those on my head and try to place them and press softly to my ears, there is some quiet plastic/foil click sound. I've removed earpads to check how it looks and it's seems that everything is alright, I'm guessing that's the sound of this round tape/foil around the driver cover but I'm not shure.
There is no quirks in sound when those cans are connected to player but I wonder what is this sound.
Any idea?

A man walks in to the doctors office and says 'doc, my arm hurts when I lift it like this'. The doctor replies 'don't lift your arm like that'.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,893 of 2,849
  Hi guys,
Any idea?

Having had three pairs of K550s to date I am 90% sure that the sound you're mentioning is normal. Each time I press them towards my ear in order to achieve a good seal it makes a popping sound that I think it's generated by the drivers (closed headphones => suction effect)

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,895 of 2,849
  Having had three pairs of K550s to date I am 90% sure that the sound you're mentioning is normal. Each time I press them towards my ear in order to achieve a good seal it makes a popping sound that I think it's generated by the drivers (closed headphones => suction effect)

Thanks mate, I was thinking same way - it looks like when you put those cans on head and try to adjust, air is coming thru the driver cover holes and moves this white foil and consequently popping sound appears.
I just want to make sure:)

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,896 of 2,849
I have that same click sound on just one side. http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/1725
If you look at my pictures from this page, one of the round peaces of white material is loose and I don't have it under the ear pad any more. That is the side that clicks. It doesn't on the other. I also was worried because it sounds like it is the driver that clicks because of the seal and the air forcing it to move.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,897 of 2,849
Yup, it seems that's the case - I have this sound mostly on one side(left) and this foil was a little bit ridged. If there is no sound change without this foil then there is no problem... you can cut little rings out of the foil and tape them eventually.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,898 of 2,849
  I have that same click sound on just one side. http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/1725
If you look at my pictures from this page, one of the round peaces of white material is loose and I don't have it under the ear pad any more. That is the side that clicks. It doesn't on the other. I also was worried because it sounds like it is the driver that clicks because of the seal and the air forcing it to move.

Have you placed this foil back or are you using K550 without this thing?

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,900 of 2,849
I haven't taken my pas off ever... Are those 3 ports connected (open ports) to the inside cups of the headphone?

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,901 of 2,849
It isn't foil. I'm not sure what it is. I didn't put it back. It made no difference to the sound from what I am aware of.

It looks almost as if it is meant to cover some of the holes in the driver enclosure. Part of me is wondering whether this was used to reduce bass impact and make them more neutral. I wonder what effect opening up a few more of those holes would have? :smiling_imp:

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,902 of 2,849
Just for reference as someone was discussing the k550 with a Schiit stack. I have just bought the Vali/Modi primarily for my HD650's but they also work well with the K550's. I think they manage to tame the treble a little whilst providing a little more bass impact. That said, I wouldn't buy the amp just for these headphones as they sound great straight out of my phone.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,904 of 2,849
If those 3 holes are ported the rear of the cup, they could act as base ports (such as the case in front firing bass ports in speakers). The theory in speakers... where driver it self say can produce only down to 80hz without a port. With a port it can go down to 50hz. Problem with porting is it makes the bass flabby and less controlled. If AKG put in these round filters over the 3 bass ports it would act as dampening, making the bass slightly more controlled. This of course is my theory...

Actually an amp I never thought would match well with the K550 is the Bottlehad Crack. I used my 550 with the Bottlehead Crack, it sounded really smooth. Kinda like warmer version of Grado house sound.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,905 of 2,849
[...]

Actually an amp I never thought would match well with the K550 is the Bottlehad Crack. I used my 550 with the Bottlehead Crack, it sounded really smooth. Kinda like warmer version of Grado house sound.

My experience is similar to yours. I most prefer the K550 paired with a LDIII with upgraded tubes. The Vio V200 is second in line. FWIW, they certainly make a sound straight out of my laptop or with an E7, but the quality of the sound isn't nearly the same.

Edit: ATM, I'm playing some new DSD files though an Oppo105 into the LDIII with K550. Fantastic sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back