The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #153 of 234
My K240 DF sounded at its best with the Sansui amplifier; an AU-217 I. It had more power than most headphones could handle, not the DF though. The SRC2496 I use now sounds very nice and given you can adjust gain and volume making the right settings is quite easy...

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #155 of 234
i haven't used my sextetts lp in awhile but will in a bit to test it out. i use same pads and my 240DF still has the original soft vinyl leather pads instead of the new pleather crap. the foam disc though is probably much thicker then your pair cause i used the one that was for the 240 studios. i had to clean the pair of DF's right away after i gotten mine and cause the thin foam piece in front of the driver and in the ear cups rotted away.

i like using my DF's off of speaker outputs. they sound good off of even an ipod but i find them much better off of speaker outputs of either my Yamaha M-45 power amp or H/K 770 power amp. i tried them off of other receivers and amps but thought gave them either too warm of sound or too sibilant. i think the drivers like to be fully controlled to prevent any resonance(besides the already done acoustic filters and passive drivers they have).

i don't know if cause high damping factor from using speaker outputs or just the extra voltage swing speaker outputs can swing(600ohm load is walk in the park for any well built power amp) but i always seem to get better results that way. i kinda wondering if the acoustic filters and passive drivers were made to control the resonance reflecting from ear due to lot amps and professional gear having a 600ohm output impedance back then off headphone outputs or high output impedance gear. i don't know but all i know i get best results off of speaker outputs(same with every other headphone i tried as well).

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #156 of 234

Quote:
Are you up for slapping the DF pads and foams on your K 241 and giving them some juice off those amps, Deep? Or did you sell the phones already?

Since the topic of amping has come up a couple of times I'm wondering what kind of equipment they were designed to be plugged into when they were first produced. I think the DF was promoted for use in radio and recording studios. Anyone know what kind of amps they had in the studio consoles back in the 80's that they were plugging the DF and other 240's or 250's into? That might tell us something about the ideal amplification to give them. Curious about this issue, because the DF is kind of thin and lifeless out of my amp, while the 702 is warmer and fuller(with the 'friend or foe' mod). I was told recently that the mkV amp is bright....don't know the truth of that, but it's supposed to have very good bass. Maybe it's not be driving the DF to their potential. Very good clarity and resolution, but needsmore warm blood in its veins! BTW, pads are soft and in good shape and foams and screens all intact, and foam looks to be original
'

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #157 of 234
The Mark V leans towards the bright side. It does not have the guts my Sansui or even Behringer has.

The AKGs are gone, sorry...

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #159 of 234

Quote:
The Mark V leans towards the bright side. It does not have the guts my Sansui or even Behringer has.

The AKGs are gone, sorry...

What phones did you use with the mkV? Not doubting your experience, but just wondering....did you hear the mkV back to back with your Sansui, or are you going from memory? 

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #160 of 234
Lejaz,

memory and experience. The Mark V is a fine amplifier but for my DF it lacked the gain thus my Behringer already replaced it. Power hungry AKGs are tricky...

The Sansui kicked life in the DF in such a way I that I shortly thought I was not listening with my DF, but I was. 

In short: i.m.o. every headphone amplifier above a certain price should have finely adjustable gain combined with a very accurate volume controle.  For those features alone the Phonitor was on the short list. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #162 of 234
Find a powerful amplifier and you get bass. The DF is such a headphone. 600 ohms means you need high gain settings otherwise the AKGs will not be properly driven. I am not joking...

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #165 of 234

Quote:
x2, vid's impressions has 'underamped' written all over it.

x3, on my set up they have about equal bass level to the k702, but less than the hd580, which has fuller bass than both. Those who find the 70X to be bass light, will definitely think the same about the DF, though. Actually the 702 seems to go a bit lower, but i didn't test carefully. The way vid described them out of his amp, it seems like the bass was barely audible.  BTW, Deep Funk, I turned the volume almost all the way down in win music player and turned the volume to the max on the mkV. Would that be giving them sufficient gain, do you think? I had to have the volume near zero on the win player in order to turn the volume knob on the amp to the max. Still the bass on the 702 is a bit better, imo, same level, but the DF is a bit thin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back