The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Feb 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #123 of 234
you don't need to do all that.....it can be as simple as using a pair of 240 foam disc ear inserts that's used for the 240DF/monitor/studio. it will tame down the treble no problem. worked when i tried it on my sextetts. also the older 240 series is not very well mechanically dampened so low output impedance(with enough voltage swing of course) it's hooked up to will give better control over the driver and offer more clarity and a tighter/quicker bass response(especially anything with a sextetts driver from my experience. the 240DF uses a different driver but still responds just as well to lower the output impedance source is).

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #128 of 234
great job! looks interesting. always knew thee 240DF would measure pretty well frequency response wise. what model DF is yours. did you have the thick 240 foam disc found in the modern 240 series in there or was it the original thin cloth the DF's and monitors had. i also decided to cut the plastic cage(or whatever you call it) that's in front of the driver as well and now the driver and dome is fully exposed as an experiment to see if it changed the sound but it seemed it did nothing sound wise but i can't say for sure cause it sounds the same to me still.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #130 of 234
The DF I have looks like the one in this picture.

(For the measurements, I used the same pair of pads on both the DF and the K 250.)

is that suppose to be paper or cloth? looks interesting. one i have has black ports but it looks and feels like woven fabric. like this

IMG_20120302_220304640x480.png

as you can see also,just couple days ago i decided to cut the plastic covering best i could just with pair of wire cutters without accidentally poking the driver. i made sure i kept steady hands doing it.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #131 of 234
Vid,, your graph looks very much like what my DF sounds like...it shows how it can sound very smooth, yet sibilant on some material. They have a small dip where the dt48 has a peak around 2.5k, also around 3.2, which makes them sound very smooth on male vocals....maybe a little more smooth than the source material actually is, if the graph is accurate. The 580 sounds a little brighter in the 3k area like in the headroom graph of the hd600. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #133 of 234
yea. only reason i like my DF's overall more then my sexetts lp is cause the 240DF just sounds overall more refined. the DF's seem to have a quicker top-end than my sextetts as well and better low-level detail retrieval overall. not cause the top-end and air response of the 240DF cause my sextetts still overall sound brighter than my 240DF in the upper treble to top-end but that doesn't automatically mean better imaging performance and better detail cause people automatically assume cause better detail is associated with boosted treble. not in the DF vs. sextetts lp case i personally feel. i just prefer my DF's overall compared to my sextetts and i assume the 250 is similar to the sextetts compared to similarity to the DF. my 240DF has better imaging performance as well. is the top-end grainy on the 250?

i wouldn't call the 240DF lean as well. maybe compared to something like sextett line-up since they can be bass monsters but they not nearly as lean as say compared to something like a Sony SA5000. i find the SA5000 a bit leaner compared to my DF's overall and i had them both running off the same power amp from the speaker outputs when i tried them. i find the bass to low-bass performance accurate on the 240DF with very low distortion. nice,tight and very clean sounding.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #135 of 234
The low end is quite a bit thinner on the DF than the hd580 which is generally considered to have 'neutral' bass. But the mids are VERY good on the DF, better in some regards than the 580, which might surprise some people....very clear and defined. But with the DF there's a definite lack of weight to the low notes of the piano compared to the 580. I much prefer the 580 there....it's like you're sitting right on the piano bench with those....great realism. It's possible my amp isn't giving the DF the voltage swing they need, but some forum members tell me it should drive them fine.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back