The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #137 of 234
don't bother with emailing AKG. they won't help you with any info. i was lucky to get info on the sextetts free-field equalizing process with a few pages of documents. they won't tell you anything else on what you can already find on wiki and the net. i tried so many times asking them about the sextetts and DF's cause i was curious about their background but they kept linking me to the k702 and telling me i should try those instead. it was a joke to them.

they didn't have XLR back then so they used DIN. i even have lot of older amps and receivers with DIN connectors in the back. some studio gear used DIN and some tape decks did as well. DIN was beleived to be better than the TRS jack at the time like how XLR is believed to be better then TRS(even though basically they can both be balanced). AKG got rid of the DIN when they released the K1000. the K1000 came with a 4-pin xlr jack and used the same 4-core wiring scheme as the sextetts did but the sextetts were terminated with a balanced TRS jack(both the negatives were tied together to act as a double ground to eliminate crosstalk.another reason behind their flawless stereo separation and imaging ability).

the early 240DF was 4-core wiring as well with sextett parts and even baffles. later one when the mini jack came around for things like cd players and so forth is when AKG downgraded the wiring for the 240DF with basic 3-core wiring which i never understood cause studio equipment was always balanced and the 240DF was meant for radio broadcasting,live-field operation and studio applications. making the 240DF balanced will give it better stereo separation and better imaging in my opinion. my 240DF and all my headphones are balanced.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #139 of 234
i think last headphone that was hardwired with a DIN connector was the dual driver akg 270 playback. i can't be sure. in the 80's for european models i think they came with 1/4'' to DIN adapter instead of being hardwired like usual to reduce cost and make it easier for people. i know lot of other studio headphones from pioneer,yamaha and fostex used an adapter i believe before DIN was phased out. i think DIN was phased out around early to mid 80's and everyone used the 3.5mm TRS jack and XLR was being slowly introduced instead. i just wish they kept the consistency with the mid and late DF/monitor models instead of hardwiring them with a 3-core 3.5mm TRS jack. i know the earlier model monitors used sextett baffles and hardwired with a 4-core TRS jack and i think they used DIN adapters but not sure.

the k1000 i'm not sure. i believe it was the 1990's it came out. akg got so much flak for it being so expensive they dropped the price down to the 240DF retail price of 299.99 then soon after became discontinued cause even at that price no one wanted the K1000 for some reason. no one just never bothered with them. the 240DF actually lasted longer then the k1000 and was still being produced till early 2000's. i think you can still specially order the 240 monitor and DF from AKG still but i'm not sure anymore.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #145 of 234
^

I don't think the different variations of DF's sound different from one another, if they did, I'm quite sure we'd have some indications of that by now.
Everyone who likes DF's seem to agree on how they sound, pads and screening have a significant impact on the sound though, and they need a rather crazy amp to wake up.

I don't recall if you mentioned what amp you are using for driving these hard to drive 600 Ohm cans?

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #147 of 234

Quote:
There was very little indication of the different Sextett models (EP/MP/LP) until a few years ago. Also, no real indication of the K 250 at all until this thread, and there's still very little on the K 241 as well. Stuff gets found out about only when it gets found out about, and sometimes that's tomorrow rather than yesterday.

I'm amping them with an integrated amp, i.e. the Auzen Bravura, which is using the LME49720NA opamp. There's better amps to be sure – though be careful about throwing out "hard to drive" in this case, because ideally you'll have compared the DF from a good amp vs. the DF from my amp before you go any further with that thought.

There is quite a bit DF info spread out around the web, people with different variations of DF's seem to have the same impressions, if the pads are not flat and the screens are in good condition.
I have driven my DF's off a H/K PM665 (not so good bass extension, very controlled, not very detailed, poor soundstage, grainy) a Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi (dull 'inside your head' kind of sound, rolled off at both ends, muffled, bright) a LD mkV (bright sounding, sibilant with some recordings, a little grainy, wide soundstage but lacks depth, piercing at louder volumes) a AudioTrack Podigy Cube (dull 'inside your head' kind of sound, rolled off at both ends, muffled, very limited volume) a Echo AudioFire2 (good detail, flat, good soundstage/imaging, very limited limited volume, could have more extended bass) and an Aragon 18k (tightly controlled, flat, good depth and width, great detail, good extension at both ends, sounds more like speakers then headphones).
The way you describe your DF's, makes me think that they might need new screening and/or a better amp, a soundcard won't drive DF's, not by a longshot, a good place to start is a vintage receiver, I'm sure that would be the case for other 600 Ohm AKG's as well.

The reason I say the DF's a hard to drive, is because I know that is the case, I have driven mine off so many different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back