The $700-$1000 range
Jan 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

inburrito

New Head-Fier
Thought I would start a new thread since it turns out what I am looking for is not really "cost no object".

My ceiling is $1000. My music is 50s-60s jazz (mostly) and some rock - jazz is the priority! I now own AT 900 Ltds and like them very much but after five years would just like something else.

OPEN vs CLOSED: open preferred.  These would be used mainly at home with low ambient noise.

I am really, really curious about Stax electrostats, which I've never heard.  I am really leaning towards trying some.  They seem to have many models in the < $1000 price range with substantial differences difficult to discern (from specs).

I am also leaning towards trying the AT W1000.

(I am amiable to buying new to try and reselling what I don't like.)

Any thoughts welcome - thanks.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 5
In this price range there are a lot of headphones,

the LCD-2 orthodynamics champion, very well received across the board
the Denon D7000, archetype of the luxury headphones with lush and detailed sound
the high end Grados, known for their ability to rock.
the ultra high teck Beyer T1 and Senn HD 800 if you can get them second hand
the JVC DX1000 and its abyssal bass.

And as you said, the ATH W1000, maybe even 5000?
I hope this give you the means to research which headphones would potentially suit you.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 5
It's good that you stated your preference in terms of music and open vs. closed. However, I think it would help even more if you gave some more details regarding what you particularly value about your AT's (I haven't heard them), for example, or what you think would be important for you: neutral sound, fun sound, lots of detail, warm and relaxing sound, soundstage width / depth / imaging is / is not so important and so on.

Does your budget apply to the headphones only or to the headphones + the amp? I like my Stax phones quite a lot but only with my rather cheap source (I have tried only a few, none more expensive than $1000), so I'd be tempted by the 2170 combo in the first case (or perhaps a NOS 2050 - recently discontinued and cheaper) or by the 407 phones from Japan + either a diy amp, a second hand one or a 323 amp with correct power voltage (could be quite expensive, it's $1200 from the local dealer in my country for example). The 2050 / 2170 are nice systems because they are somewhat portable and can be bought from Japan without the voltage conversion problem of the "full size" Stax headphone amps - you can buy a cheap power supply for the required 12VDC, use a lead-acid battery or build yourself (or have built for you) a somewhat fancier power supply for the remaining ~$200 from the total $1000 for the whole system. Many have commented the old 2050 system was great value for money, and so should probably be the new 2170 too.

Listening before buying would be of course a good idea, and so would be buying used. Anyway, at least take some time after you buy to really get to know your new headphones, try some different sources and interconnects with them if you can (especially if you buy Stax), get used to them a bit and only then decide whether you are satisfied with them or not.

Good luck!

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I bought a pair of AKG 701s.  $238 shipped to me, NIB.

Will put them against the 900 Ltds.

Since I listen mostly to jazz they sound like great cans.

It seems from this level the step to the next level - $1000+ - is pretty big.  Beyer T1s and Senn 800s are the big players there.  And then the Stax.  Tho I really want a Stax setup since it is such a risk I will probably hold out for used.

Anyway, I have discovered the buyer's guide thread and think I should read/post there since that's what's intended by the forum.

I must say that some of you guys are quite nuts about headphones. :)  Threads devoted to a single model that have hundreds of pages.  Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back