The 6SN7 Identification Guide
Aug 24, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #257 of 529
Thanksgivin for the info.
Mine are rebranded Admiral and Motorola. One dated 1-26 the other 2-50. When I want to change things up, these come out. Sound great with super warm 6080's
IMG_20200824_121224.jpg

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #260 of 529
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #261 of 529
Aug 24, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #262 of 529
Among the myriad of Sylvania 6SN7GT's available, I'm trying to identify these. Round mica with two posts, clear top, two-hole, but photos aren't great. Seller says date code is 126, but not sure if that means 1951 or could that be 1961. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Sylvania 6SN7.jpgSylvania 6SN7 - 2.jpg

Actually, the tube on the right looks like a 5-hole plate (on the left side). Can't say I've ever seen one like that before...

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #263 of 529
Ask him about the rare brown based Sylvania he has, you still have it? @sennfan83261

6SN7WGT/A are not too shabby. I have a small stable of them and prefer it over the Hytron 5692 in Lyr 3. Haven't tried it in Incubus yet.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #266 of 529
Slightly off topic, Anyone know if there some flat plate black glass Tung-Sol 6F8G’s that were rebranded as Sylvania?
I noticed those tubes as well. Rebranding was very very common. The internals are all that matter. As far as I know if the glass is black and not gray and the plates are flat my guess is that they must be TungSol. I have loads of 6f8g's and most of them are rebrands.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #267 of 529
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3X-Earl...367115&hash=item56e1358879:g:8NYAAOSw6NdfMvYt

Are these rebranded bad boys, or a Canadian rebuild of them with Sylvania internals? Does anybody know how they sound compared to bad boys?
Really hard to tell with no coding/date stamps on the tubes, or what I can tell on the photos. Bad Boys nickname was given to a certain time frame that falls outside of the 6SN7GTB line up, although the post could be misleading, or may not know exactly what these are (they could be 6SN7GT). My guess is they will have "The SOund".

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #268 of 529
I noticed those tubes as well. Rebranding was very very common. The internals are all that matter. As far as I know if the glass is black and not gray and the plates are flat my guess is that they must be TungSol. I have loads of 6f8g's and most of them are rebrands.
I found this listed write up on comparisons between a few 6F8G tubes, do you agree with most of it?

Raytheon: Very nice tube, I could live with it easily.
Open, extended, quick top end, full but pretty tight bass, lively/ percussive, forward soundstage, "loud," clear. Fun to listen to.

Ken- Rad: For some reason, this one took me for a trip. I really like this tube, but it seems to add more of it's own sound than any of the others, which could be a bad thing. It wouldn't be my pick overall, but very interesting to listen to.
Laid back, inviting, nice & fairly extended top end, warm "Mullardy" sound, low midrange emphasis, bass a bit slow, big forward soundstage, smooth, not very lively, easy going for extended listening.

G.E.: This one wouldn't be my choice at all, and I'd have to place it at the bottom of the heap. It wasn't bad, but compared to the others, it just didn't do it for me.
"Solid" sounding, carved in stone, upper midrange emphasis, clear, at speaker soundstage, slightly tiring/ "in your face" comparatively, treble not as extended, slower bass.

National Union RP: My top choice for full time occupancy. It has the best balance of the traits I like.
Clear & clean, fast-er across the board, good balance, holographic & forward soundstage, musical, engaging, accurate (sounding,) warm, lively but easy for extended listening, all around hard to fault.

RCA: This one is nice, and I'd place it in at a close tie for 3rd/2nd. Can't go wrong with the RCA.
Warmest vocals, big & forward soundstage, not as extended on top comparatively but not bad, inviting, clean, slightly slower bass, extended & full bass, non fatiguing.

Tung- Sol RP: This is a favorite. Close 2nd/3rd for me.
Very extended on top end, very quick across the board, fun, holographic, forward soundstage, engaging, midrange not as full (dip,) tight extended bass, clear, exciting but good for extended listen.

Sylvania: Another great choice, can't go wrong. It could occupy the input position permanently w/o complaints.
Lively, nice treble although not as extended as some, a bit holographic & forward soundstage, images nicely, upper mid emphasis, bass extended but *slightly* slow, powerful, fun.

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/tubes/221750/6f8g-vt99-observations

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #270 of 529
I found this listed write up on comparisons between a few 6F8G tubes, do you agree with most of it?

Raytheon: Very nice tube, I could live with it easily.
Open, extended, quick top end, full but pretty tight bass, lively/ percussive, forward soundstage, "loud," clear. Fun to listen to.

Ken- Rad: For some reason, this one took me for a trip. I really like this tube, but it seems to add more of it's own sound than any of the others, which could be a bad thing. It wouldn't be my pick overall, but very interesting to listen to.
Laid back, inviting, nice & fairly extended top end, warm "Mullardy" sound, low midrange emphasis, bass a bit slow, big forward soundstage, smooth, not very lively, easy going for extended listening.

G.E.: This one wouldn't be my choice at all, and I'd have to place it at the bottom of the heap. It wasn't bad, but compared to the others, it just didn't do it for me.
"Solid" sounding, carved in stone, upper midrange emphasis, clear, at speaker soundstage, slightly tiring/ "in your face" comparatively, treble not as extended, slower bass.

National Union RP: My top choice for full time occupancy. It has the best balance of the traits I like.
Clear & clean, fast-er across the board, good balance, holographic & forward soundstage, musical, engaging, accurate (sounding,) warm, lively but easy for extended listening, all around hard to fault.

RCA: This one is nice, and I'd place it in at a close tie for 3rd/2nd. Can't go wrong with the RCA.
Warmest vocals, big & forward soundstage, not as extended on top comparatively but not bad, inviting, clean, slightly slower bass, extended & full bass, non fatiguing.

Tung- Sol RP: This is a favorite. Close 2nd/3rd for me.
Very extended on top end, very quick across the board, fun, holographic, forward soundstage, engaging, midrange not as full (dip,) tight extended bass, clear, exciting but good for extended listen.

Sylvania: Another great choice, can't go wrong. It could occupy the input position permanently w/o complaints.
Lively, nice treble although not as extended as some, a bit holographic & forward soundstage, images nicely, upper mid emphasis, bass extended but *slightly* slow, powerful, fun.

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/tubes/221750/6f8g-vt99-observations

I can't believe that 11 year old post is still one of the de-facto definitive guides to 6F8G comparisons. But yeah they are still spot on. It's funny, doesnt matter what variant/type of tube it is, Ken-Rads always seem to evoke a mixed reaction, and GEs (genuine GE made not rebranded) almost always suck the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back