The 6SN7 Identification Guide
Apr 20, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #212 of 529
Thanks @bcowen

I've found a Westinghouse 6sn7gtb online that looks similar to what I have. It does get confusing with all the rebranding that goes on for sure.

Yes, it is quite similar to the desirable Westinghouse D-Getter...just with an O getter. Some have reported that the sonic difference between the D getter and O getter versions are negligible (if even different at all), so you might have a really nice sounding tube there!

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #213 of 529
Yes, it is quite similar to the desirable Westinghouse D-Getter...just with an O getter. Some have reported that the sonic difference between the D getter and O getter versions are negligible (if even different at all), so you might have a really nice sounding tube there!

So I bid and won this lot of tubes from a Canadian gentleman on Ebay. He was a old time audiophile who was getting up in years and wanted to get rid of what he had.

I've tried to contact him after the fact to see if I could get some information but he's just disappeared.

There was a bunch of Rogers 12ax7s. These 2 6sn7gtbs. A few other tubes too. I've had this box for at least the last 8-9 months but now with time to finally look into seeing what everything is.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #214 of 529
So I bid and won this lot of tubes from a Canadian gentleman on Ebay. He was a old time audiophile who was getting up in years and wanted to get rid of what he had.

I've tried to contact him after the fact to see if I could get some information but he's just disappeared.

There was a bunch on Rogers 12ax7s. These 2 6sn7gtbs. A few other tubes too. I've had this box for at least the last 8-9 months but now with time to finally look into seeing what everything is.

I looked at the D-Getter WH's I have, and strangely enough the micas are closer to the Raytheon than your tube -- fewer and shorter points. Of course minor variations like that could be just different manufacturing years. And who knows...maybe Raytheon made all the Westinghouses we're talking about....or vice versa. :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #215 of 529
@bcowen

Sonically speaking do the Raytheons and Westinghouse 6sn7gtb have similarities?

I'm wondering how my pair of tubes may sound and how to use them in a circuit that allows them to shine and show off their best traits. Just as I write this I'm wondering if they may play nicely in a tube headphone amp I have that uses a 12ax7 as an input tube and then uses a pair of 6sn7s on the output. Ultimately, I'll just have to try them out.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #216 of 529
@bcowen

Sonically speaking do the Raytheons and Westinghouse 6sn7gtb have similarities?

I'm wondering how my pair of tubes may sound and how to use them in a circuit that allows them to shine and show off their best traits. Just as I write this I'm wondering if they may play nicely in a tube headphone amp I have that uses a 12ax7 as an input tube and then uses a pair of 6sn7s on the output. Ultimately, I'll just have to try them out.

I haven't ever compared them. I don't know that I've ever even listened to the Raytheon, honestly. Too Many Tubes syndrome. Normally that's a positive thing. :)

Interestingly, when it comes to the Raytheon 6SN7GT / VT231, I much prefer the T-plate version on the left to the flat plate version on the right that I find rather bright and screechy. Entirely different construction from your tube though, so doesn't have much bearing beyond just the comment.

1587512282270.png

May 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #217 of 529
Looking for some help identifying what exactly I have here.

The text on the base says GE for CGE. I've done a little bit of research and believe that CGE is Canadian General Electric. But not sure.

The tubes are tall, plates are dark grey, maybe even black depending on the lights. Plates are large and they seem to have copper rods running through. Maybe acting for support?

Markings on the bottle say 6SN7GTB

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

20200419_141840.jpg20200419_141834.jpg20200419_141822.jpg
Hello Robert, new member here. I've loved reading and learning from everyone here. Have you considered the idea of these two tubes being of Japanese origin? Hitachi or Toshiba?

May 18, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #218 of 529
@Ranger Ron-

I had somewhat put the hunt and answer to this question aside.

But now that your mention this possibility I'll have to look into it. For what it's worth I think "Made in Japan" circa 1970'-1980's still gets a bad rap. But as we know in relation to Hi-Fi they are now calling this the "Golden age of Hi-Fi". I don't have any personal experience with Japanese made tubes...yet. Well, maybe I do, maybe if I learn these tubes are Japanese made.

The tubes themselves are actually very good. They have a balanced frequency spectrum with great bass extension. They do offer up a warm sweet presentation, which I favor. The only hit on them, is that they can get a little shouty on the very high notes, usually with female vocals. It's just a small issue for me. I overall really like them.

Thanks again for opening my mind to this possibility. It's one of the reasons I really value this community. People like yourself offering thoughts on the fun subject of Hi-Fi/Head-Fi/audio

May 19, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #220 of 529
Well, consider that they might need to burn in for a while. That could affect the "shouty" characteristic.
@Ranger Ron-

I had somewhat put the hunt and answer to this question aside.

But now that your mention this possibility I'll have to look into it. For what it's worth I think "Made in Japan" circa 1970'-1980's still gets a bad rap. But as we know in relation to Hi-Fi they are now calling this the "Golden age of Hi-Fi". I don't have any personal experience with Japanese made tubes...yet. Well, maybe I do, maybe if I learn these tubes are Japanese made.

The tubes themselves are actually very good. They have a balanced frequency spectrum with great bass extension. They do offer up a warm sweet presentation, which I favor. The only hit on them, is that they can get a little shouty on the very high notes, usually with female vocals. It's just a small issue for me. I overall really like them.

Thanks again for opening my mind to this possibility. It's one of the reasons I really value this community. People like yourself offering thoughts on the fun subject of Hi-Fi/Head-Fi/audio
Robert, absolutely. I have a few different tube types from Japan that I am very pleased with. In fact one in particular just stunned me. I could not believe how wonderful and smooth it sounded compared to some other pretty high end brand names in that specific circuit slot. As they say, enjoy the roll:)

May 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #221 of 529
I have a few different tube types from Japan that I am very pleased with. In fact one in particular just stunned me. I could not believe how wonderful and smooth it sounded compared to some other pretty high end brand names in that specific circuit slot

By any chance is this in a preamp circuit? And what brand is it? What vintage, physical description, etc? Come on, man. Let us have a little info here...
:smile_phones:

May 19, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #222 of 529
By any chance is this in a preamp circuit? And what brand is it? What vintage, physical description, etc? Come on, man. Let us have a little info here...
:smile_phones:
Ha! It's not a 6sn7 so I didn't want to get into it on this thread. It's a 12ax7A long grey plate I believe made by toshiba. Flat foil plate like getter with one dimple in the middle. Copper grid posts.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #224 of 529
I’d welcome some feedback on this tube which as you can see is stated as a Sylvania JAN 6SN7 WGTA but doesn’t seem to match the description which suggests it should have a brown base, top getter etc. To me it looks more like a Sylvania 6SN7GT of the so called “Bad Boy” type.
6sn7_1723.jpg
6sn7_1777.jpg

6sn7_1775.jpg
6sn7_1733.jpg

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #225 of 529
Looks like a Bad Boy to me. 3-hole plates and top mica has 3 points on short side with the points slightly pointing downward. IIRC, 3H BBs ran from late 51 to early 53 and this appears to have 1953, 10th week markings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back