The 3D Printer Thread! :D
Mar 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #64 of 149

Can you put pictures of it, what are you using for damping? 
Did you make holes in shell for bass? I see you made holes for wires on both sides like original.
Why did you not use connectors on both side.

Unfortunately, I can't take any pictures for a while. I finish my current show tomorrow and I have to get on a plane as soon as the curtain comes down. Everything is packed and ready to go.

I've used cotton balls for right now. As soon as I'm settled at my next gig, I want to play with the amount and density.

I prefer single entry cables. When I wear my AS2, I put the cable behind my head so that there isn't a cord hanging down in front of me while I work. I'm constantly dealing with papers and things in front of me and a cable just gets in the way. Also, I am experimenting with using the cable hole as my bass port. Seemed like a win win to me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #65 of 149
  So, long time no posting...

For the last month, I have been experimenting with my 3D model and design. I have to say that on the whole I got bored with the 3D printed shells very quickly. I became much more interested in putting the model into the CNC machine and building a set out of hardwood. Thus... pictures:

Well done.
BTW Im the asian guy talked to you in fab lab nice job.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #66 of 149
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #71 of 149
 Only takes a few hours to learn how to use tinkercad and it's free. Design and model your own headphones, I did recently and am vary happy with the results. The only other tool you need is a digital caliper but they are cheap on amazon.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #72 of 149
I’m glad I came across to this forum. Now I got an idea what to print once my ordered filament at 3d2print.net arrives. Though I’ve seen a lot of ideas at the website, I still want something more useful and something I could use on a daily basis like a head gear. I’m thinking of printing it with this type of material: http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product-category/premium-filament/taulman/

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #73 of 149
I’m glad I came across to this forum. Now I got an idea what to print once my ordered filament at 3d2print.net arrives. Though I’ve seen a lot of ideas at the website, I still want something more useful and something I could use on a daily basis like a head gear. I’m thinking of printing it with this type of material: http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product-category/premium-filament/taulman/

That link doesn't work but if you were talking about taulman t glass its really hard stuff to work with and since its polyester you don't want that touching your skin anywhere for long periods of time. So far ABS has worked out the best for the couple of prototype headphones i built, only material i haven't printed with yet that i would like to is polycarbonate, it needs higher temp then my solidoodle 2 can handle. Haven't used PLA because its to soft.

Edited for clarity. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #74 of 149
Heads up! Michael Fremer has posted two vinyl rips to compare - one recorded using the metal VPI tonearm and the other with the new 3D printed arm. 

Link here - http://www.analogplanet.com/content/vpi’s-3d-printed-tone-arm-does-it-sound-better-worse-or-same-standard-metal-jmw-memorial-ar-0

May 9, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #75 of 149
Just stumbled upon this thread. Just amazing! Here is my idea:

Print a fully sealed can design with a vent for experimenting with air pressure instead of cotton (or any other) damping.

This means - you start printing until you have baffle with driver frame, then put the driver inside and continue to print until it's fully sealed and done (I don't mean you to bake the driver in solid plastic but a normal cup with air inside). Like I said, for damping I would experiment with different air pressure - starting with full vacuum and slowly letting more air in. The prototype would need to have a pressure meter integrated and sealed to the cup for exact experiments.

Edited for more clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back