The 3D Printer Thread! :D
Jun 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #106 of 149

Quote:
  1. I guess that the bar magnets allow the serpentine strip of the trace to make best use of the magnetic fields without 'wasting' parts of the trace upon the gaps which would inevitably appear between the magnets more often on a 'grid' type arrangement.

2. Has anyone ever made an ortho' that uses electromagnets?

3. P.S. sorry again about all the O.T, but I suppose that all the tech' we're discussing here could potentially be home fabricated with the help of 3D printing!

1. Actually, the "grid" you mention could benefit diaphragm stability much like the zig-zag traces on the T50RP. Here's a picture of a somewhat unique diaphragm circuit layout using a grid of smaller square magnets like you imagined. The patent goes into further detail on everything, but I just wanted to post that picture so you could see the flux lines jumping from North to South between all the magnets. You can play with the right hand rule and the direction of current and figure out how the diaphragm interacts with everything, or see how all traces are pulled in the same direction.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6963654#v=onepage&q&f=false

I really like this design.

2. The diaphragms of all orthos are electromagnets. I like the idea of utilizing the mind-bendingly strong magnetic fields produced by today's neo's, it's like free efficiency. And I like the idea of being able to use traditional headphone outputs in smartphones, computers, etc., it's why I wanted to design an ortho instead of a stat.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #108 of 149
Yeah. I wonder if you could miniaturize the plasma arc element enough to be suitable for IEM/canalphone use. Like what types of materials/fabrication processes would be involved, and if it even makes sense to think about. Perhaps a dynamic woofer to vent the enclosure of ozone? And then maybe a line array of like nine tiiiny plasma arc drivers sparkin' away? Not sure if the line array idea does anything for us here, maybe makes it safer since you can control the smaller spark gaps easier, I'd imagine, or maybe it'd be more efficient somehow. Yeah, massless transducer IEM's sounds pretty neat.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #109 of 149
  Yeah. I wonder if you could miniaturize the plasma arc element enough to be suitable for IEM/canalphone use. Like what types of materials/fabrication processes would be involved, and if it even makes sense to think about. Perhaps a dynamic woofer to vent the enclosure of ozone? And then maybe a line array of like nine tiiiny plasma arc drivers sparkin' away? Not sure if the line array idea does anything for us here, maybe makes it safer since you can control the smaller spark gaps easier, I'd imagine, or maybe it'd be more efficient somehow. Yeah, massless transducer IEM's sounds pretty neat.

I love the smell of fried cerebellum in the morning!

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #110 of 149
I had to google it... http://www.laborantes.com/iono2.htm

What happened to the Ionophone? Well, we learned that most good things have a side-effect: after prolonged music-listening we felt some slight irritation of the skin in the auditory canal affected by the partially ionized air. There would have been means to reduce this effect, but while studying Physics there are still other priorities left!

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #112 of 149

The Inner fidelity article is very good, I wonder if Tyll would consider expanding it with info on single sided assemblies like the Abyss ( I think I've read that these are single sided )  and the Opo PM1 ( I'm less certain re' these being single sided )?

I had the great pleasure of visiting the Audeze factory last Monday after the Newport show to get schooled on planar magnetic design topologies by their lead researcher. It was fascinating. I will be doing another "How Planarmagnetic Headphones Work" article to expand on some of the various configurations work. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #114 of 149
I have no idea how powerful that laser is, tbh. Burning away the Copper with a laser doesn't sound like the right approach to me, though, at least if we're trying to make an ortho diaphragm for headphones. I just figure if the laser is burning through your Copper layer it's also obliterating the few microns of Kapton you've got underneath it. Maybe for speaker use? Making loooong cuts in Aluminum tape that are meant to be adhered separately to the diaphragm substrate, perhaps. 

-Edit-
Rofl! I'm not with it, I think. You meant just turn the power on the laser down and use it to expose your etch resist? Yes, that's more or less exactly what I have in mind.
LazerBlade FAQ
 With it's current motor / belt / pulley setup, the LazerBlade has a mechanical resolution of 0.08-0.1mm. This equates to approximately 300 DPI.

If that's "real world" true it sounds good enough to me.

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #116 of 149

I had the great pleasure of visiting the Audeze factory last Monday after the Newport show to get schooled on planar magnetic design topologies by their lead researcher. It was fascinating. I will be doing another "How Planarmagnetic Headphones Work" article to expand on some of the various configurations work. 

Oooh!
Looking forward to that too Tyll!

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #117 of 149
Hi guys.

I'm looking for sources on t50rp cup design, looking to see if I can get a design done and mill it. I'm looking in terms of wooden cups, so a bit off topic. Anyone care to share designs and possibly some good sources to read?

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #119 of 149
  Hi guys.

I'm looking for sources on t50rp cup design, looking to see if I can get a design done and mill it. I'm looking in terms of wooden cups, so a bit off topic. Anyone care to share designs and possibly some good sources to read?

Well its pretty easy to learn 3d design, tinkercad is a free online design software that you can learn in a couple weeks. Below is a link to my thread with 3d printed t50rp headphones, i have been meaning to update and post the .stl's (3d model files) but since there has been zero interest i haven't bothered. My models would make for a good starting point for anyone wanting to design there own t50rp housing. Don't worry to much about the design you choose, the placebo effect will do all the heavy lifting so the design hardly matters.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716835/3d-printed-headphones-wip

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #120 of 149
I know plenty of 3D design and CAD, so that won't be a problem, what I want to look into if there is some way to design these cups in a more strategic way than "ooh this could be good" if I can approach it from a more like an engineering perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back