The 150$ question...
Jul 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MrKitty

New Head-Fier
So I'm sort of new to the whole High-end Audio although I've been lurking around for quite a while... And I'm looking to finally start spending some money on it. And I know that 150$ is nothing compared to the top notch headphones, but I have to start somewhere and its not gonna be the HD800's xD

I have seen many threads with pretty much the same question, but it was not exactly always with my types of music and for the most part, rather confusing. I did own a few nice headphones/IEMs I had the Steelseries Steelsound  5Hv2 which is a computer gaming headset and not exactly "High-end Audiophile" headphones but they were a nice step-up from normal generic headphones, and I've also owned a pair of Shure E2Cs which were nice... but the cat decided that its time for them to die (chewed the cord off)

So here I am... in need of a new headphone...
I listen to a  fairly large selection of music styles... Rock, Power rock, Hardstyle, Shuffle, Metal and also some classical stuff and the list just goes on an on, I just don't know the genre of the rest.

Anywhere from 150-200$ is ok, I know that I might need an AMP as well, I'm leaning towards building one myself, not just because its rather cheap but also looks fun :D
I don't mind if the headphones needs AMPing, in fact that would be actually nice xD (more excuses to spend some money)
I prefer "over the ear" type headphones, maybe closed if possible?
A headphone that has room for improvement would be nice, and by that I mean one that I can upgrade, as in cables(?) pads... etc...
I know its quite a long list for a relatively small budget, but as close as possible will do.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 21
If you don't really need to have closed headphones (because open ones will typically sound better at the same price range) and could think about using supraaural (on-the-ear) headphones, the Grado SR225 and the Alessandro MS-1s without an amp are brilliant headphones for your main music choices.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 21
The Ultrasone 780's look pretty nice, and the price is fair.

I can't seem to find the AKG 340's or at least probably not the ones you are talking about, all I seem to find is an IEM thats called k340, also can't find them on AKG's website, is that a model thats o longer produced?
I highly doubt I'd be able to find a pair, looked even in eBay, can't find one.

No I don't have to have a closed pair, but I've read mixed reviews about the SR225 and MS1, the so called "signature sound" scares me  a little, I've never listened to a pair,  just a bit worried I wont like them.

I'm leaning towards the 340's as from the few mins I've read about them in head fi and other places, it seems like they are about in my price range and they are upgradeable. But I just don't have the slightest clue on where could I get a pair from.

More options would be appreciated.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 21
I'll second the 780s if you want an "upgradeable" headphone. Stock, the bass is bloated and the highs are pretty sharp. However, they have a decent amount of detail and are a very fun sounding headphone. 

They improve greatly after you remove the diode board/recable them and dampen the ear cups. They have an emphasized bass which can be tweaked to your liking by adding cotton or foam to the inside of the ear cups. This also helps bring out the midrange. Recabling/removing the diode board helps tame the highs and it also gives them a slightly airier sound.  However, the mids/highs are a bit thin sounding, and if you prefer a warmer sound you might want to look elsewhere. 

Those K340s you're looking for are vintage headphones and pretty hard to find. They sometimes pop up on ebay, but usually for around ~$200. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
If you don't really need to have closed headphones (because open ones will typically sound better at the same price range) and could think about using supraaural (on-the-ear) headphones, the Grado SR225 and the Alessandro MS-1s without an amp are brilliant headphones for your main music choices.

This. Get open if you don't need closed as they almost always sound better at a given price.  MS-1 or DT440 would be great choices.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 21
After doing some more looking around, I found out the 780s are a closed back and overall are pretty nice, except that recabling them costs more then I assumed but thats alright.

Personally I wouldn't mind having an open back headset, but if I'm on a bus (and I usually am) and theres someone sitting next to me, they might be bothered =/

Any other headphones out there that are on par with this one or better? closed back isn't THAT important, but its preferable.
I just want to do the proper research before spending 200$s.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Well, open means the backs of the ear cups has some sort of airy grill or mesh which has its pros and cons. Closed means the backs of the ear cups are closed and sound is not going to "escape" from the back of the cup, which also.. has its pros and cons.

Did some yet more reading around...

How are the ATH-A700 and ATH-AD700 compared to the Ultrasone 780's?

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
What is the difference between open and closed? noooob

Thanks

Heres a nice description from Marcus at Headphonic regarding open vs closed phones.

"It’s pretty easy to answer really, but there are some catches. Simply put; open headphones sound better, but closed headphones offer isolation. By isolation I mean in terms of both sound leaking out from the headphones, and sound leaking in. Unless you need isolation you should consider open models. You can get closed headphones that sound as good as open models, but generally the closed model will cost more. That’s not to say that all open headphones are better than all closed models either, there are duds in both teams, as well as some models that break the mould.

Open headphones sound more ‘natural’ than closed models. Generally an open model will have much better soundstage (the ‘width and depth’ of sound), more natural bass (tighter and faster) and better separation (how well individual sounds/instruments/details are defined). Closed headphones on the other hand tend to have a more ‘boxed in’ sound to them (where it sounds like the music is coming from inside your head) and boomier, more resonant (slower) sounding bass. Often this leads to closed headphones sounding bassier, but if you listen closely it’s normally just because the bass is stopping and starting slower, and less accurately, than it would on an open model. This is why using the term “better” can be very subjective. You might consider slow, boomy overpowering bass to be “better” than well defined and clear bass :wink:

On the topic of isolation and leakage; this will depend on volume levels. Generally if you’re listening to open headphones at moderate volume levels people in the same room as you will be able to hear at least some of what you’re listening to. If you have your music loud, they’ll clearly be able to hear what you’re listening to. If people are going to be disturbed by this, you might want to consider closed. Also, if the ambient volume levels around you are low, you shouldn’t be that disturbed by them with open headphones, however if you’re in a noisy environment (public transport, aircraft etc) then closed headphones may be a better choice as you might have to turn open headphones up to drown out background noise, and that’s potentially damaging to your ears."

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 21
Nice reply, I knew most of that but didn't want to type a gajillion words so I tried to explain it as simple as possible.

I see you have the AD700's and had the DT440, any thoughts of how the AD700s compare to it?
or if you had a listen to the Ultrason's 780's how they compared to them?

Thanks again,

Guy with a Kitty instead of a name.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Nice reply, I knew most of that but didn't want to type a gajillion words so I tried to explain it as simple as possible.

I see you have the AD700's and had the DT440, any thoughts of how the AD700s compare to it?
or if you had a listen to the Ultrason's 780's how they compared to them?

Thanks again,

Guy with a Kitty instead of a name.

I didn't do a direct comparison as I didn't have them at the same time.  Bass volume and impact was definately better and they were more in your face sounding.  Soundstage was good but its was more narrow than the AD700 (though more natural sounding I guess). AD700 was more cofy however. I got the MS-1 and AD700 combo to replace them but the DT440 sounded better than both so I'll probably get them again.  Everything sounded good on them imo where as with the MS-1/AD700 are a bit more genre specific (though everything sounds at least ok).

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 21
I see... thanks for the opinion, how about how "open" were they, at normal listening levels, could someone next to you be bothered by them? (considered you had the chance to check that out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back