The $100 Grado that beat the M50 in Bass
Jul 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 41
It has quite a bit more than the CX300. It's been a while since I listened to the CX300 but the quantity is more, and the quality is different from what I recall. CX300's bass is a bit scratchy and "hard" whereas the bass I got from these is "rounder" and "softer" and in huge quantity -- I would compare the texture of its bass to that of the IE8. It's also the boomy kind of bass in terms of quantity and power, but it's the soft kind of boom.

Oh and I think maybe I should update my AV. Got another Mio avatar ready hehe. That's a cute little Elric you have there yourself.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 41
thanks for the reply..
and yeah i need headphones that have big, deep, and punchy bass..
the low bass it is..

where did you find the cushions and parts for your mod?

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #33 of 41
The low bass isn't that stellar actually, it's not going to sound like a very good closed can like the DT150. The emphasizes part of this mod is the midbass. 

You can get the pads here:
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=54

and here:

http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=5206&main=34

Problem is I don't know if you can order from CDR-King. I think it's just a site with their product listing.s

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #34 of 41
I played around and now have a new toy from the "Statement Series" 
gs1000.gif

The GS8000!

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #35 of 41
one last thing to ask..
is the bass is muddy or not?

and is that mio on your avatar mochan?

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #36 of 41
That Mio in your avatar too! 
bigsmile_face.gif

The bass with the Mk1 pads is muddy! Not overly bloated but just enough midbass to keep me happy. If you're the type that likes clear, mudless sound this mod is not for you. The GS8000 would be more to your liking in this case. I am waiting for my friend to get his distancers on his MS1 so I can compare it to the MS1000. If the sound is significantly better I might end up selling the GS800 and buying an MS1 to mod.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 41
Well, I'll say this: You've put together a very attractive set of cans.  I'm not a big fan of the leatherette pads.  To my ears, they muddy up the presentation unforgivably.  I find velour preferable because it seems to hold in the bass better than foam but it breathes.  But we're not talking about sound, which I can't hear, not matter how much I turn up the brightness on my monitor (ha ha ha).  The pics show a very nicely made mod.  I'm even inclined to give you a thumbs up over the fact that you resisted the temptation to give the wood a shiny gloss.  I think wood sounds better when it's not encased in glass.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #38 of 41
Thanks for the compliment, with the Bagels on these really do look handsome, even more than the leatherette pads. I should try these with velor pads sometime. I wonder where I can find some, though! I'll have to look around. I wonder how the sound will change....

I gotta give to Grados. Ever since I started pad rolling, I have come to appreciate just how much the pads can change the sound of a headphone. And Grado really lets you swap the pads to your heart's content. It's like having different headphones all in one package!

With the Bagels they really do sound more like a K701. With the BBB pads they are like an M50. It's amazing how versatile the pads are.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #39 of 41
Wow great job Mochan, how do they compare with te sony XB700s ?

I love the big bass customs creations.... FrankenGrados , DarthBeyers, Thunderpants !!

Keep 'em coming people.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #40 of 41
Unfortunately they don't even compare. I was expecting them to put up more of a fight, but like the M50s they can't even touch the XB700 when it comes to bass. I actually took the bass pads off the GS800xb and now have relegated it to "GS800" status just using flats. Sounds more like a super-smooth Grado now thanks to the distancers and all the blue tak lining the cups, plus the damping of the wood.  After the XB700 I just couldn't go back to these as bass cans any more.

Sometimes I put on the Bagel pads though for a "GS8000" thing and it sounds good like this, too!

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #41 of 41
hi

i wanted to buy some grado sr80i. but i thought that the bass was not enough for me. i would like to try this mod.

where can i order the mahogany Mushroom Cups, Mahogany Liberators..... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back