The $100 Grado that beat the M50 in Bass
Jul 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
The M50 is one of my beloved bass head cans that delivers beautiful, plump bass. At the $100 price point it is seriously one of the best offerings you can get and is serious bang for the buck. To this day I still recommend it to bass lovers and even general users looking for a real treat for a very affordable price.

Well, today I finally completed my "secret weapon," a monster that, for about $100, managed to outdo the M50 (and a lot of other headphones, open or closed) in bass quantity, impact, slam and just sheer decadence!

I present... the Grado GS800-XB.

What exactly is this thing?!

Basically it's a heavily modded SR80i with components chosen to accentuate bass over pretty much all else. As an extreme bass head it was the perfect project for me.

What's it made of?  Well here's the recipe:

Grado GS800-XB 
1 Grado SR80i
2 Mahogany Mushroom Cups
2 Mahogany Liberators
1 Pair of TTVJ Flat Pads
1 Pair of CDR King L660 Pads

First, separate the cups of the SR80i from the headband. This can be done by pulling the gymbals apart a bit so that the cups slide off. Next, use a spoon to separate the cups from the chamber by sliding the stem of the spoon in between the space between the cup and above the pad indentation and twisting to force it open. This will break the hard glue and allow you to pry the cups off the chambers.

Then insert the Mahogany Cups onto the Chambers, taking care to place the cables in place with stops. Next, attach the Liberators (if you don't have the circle locks you can use Blutak to stick it on semi-permanent).

Now, reattach the new wooden chambers onto the gymbals.

Then, squish the Flat Pads and insert into the CDR Pads, with the part that attaches to the chambers facing outwards from the CDR Pads. You can then attach these onto the Liberators.

You see those black donuts? This amalgamation is the secret to the bass sound and is the reason I can boldy call these "XB" (eXtra Bass). I call them BBB Mk1 Pads (Badass Bass Beasty Pads) -- composed of the TTVJ Flats and the CDR-King L660 Leather Pads.

In my country CDR-King is everywhere but elsewhere unfortunately you will be challenged to find these 50 cent faux leather pads. 
http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=5206&main=34

It seems unbelievable that such a cheap upgrade can do such wonders to the pads, but these pads really work incredibly well with just about any Grado pad you can stuff into it. I've stuffed Bowls, Comfies, and Flats into it and they really work to add warmth to the sound, improve bass response and widen soundstage without much detriment to the overall sound sig, if any. If you can somehow get your hands on these pads you should experiment. I believe you will be pleased with the results.

The TTVJ Flats along with these pads offer the best results thus far. I've used these with the SR80, SR125, SR325, MS2i, the MS Pro and of course the GS800 and the results are just staggering. They don't turn into bass head fart cannon monsters but achieve a level of warmth and satisfying bass without compromising the other frequencies, while simultaneously removing glare and smoothening out the sound considerably. If you loved the brightness and sometimes sibilant highs of the Grados these won't be for you, but for everyone else these pads will probably be a welcome experience.

Anyway, the GS800xb is a basshead's bass heavy can, no ifs and buts. It is not a detail freak, it clearly is nowhere near as refined as the MS Pro or even just the MS2i, but it offers a sea of bass that is unparalleled in the Grado world while still retaining enough of the mids and highs to prevent it from being unlistenable. But the bass is all that it's about. 

The BBB Mk1 Pads are the secret ingredient, but the wooden cups add to this. Without buttons the air flow increases, enhancing the vented bass port design that gives Grados its low range power. The mahogany cups also seem to dampen the highs and especially the mids, thus allowing the bass to gain prominence. In addition, the damping effect fattens the bass and makes the midbass plumper, the sound softer and warmer without a hard edge to it. 

Finally the Liberators (which share the damping characteristics of the cups) add space, increasing soundstage and pushing the mids back further, resulting in a very un-Grado-like sound, and enhance the bass flow for even moar bass.

The end result, is a sea of bass you can swim in! And if you want to exacerbate the effect further chain it to an E7 which has more bass and recessed mids. 
gs1000.gif

Anyway, compared to the M50, it has slightly more bass, basically the M50 has tighter, more taut bass in comparison whereas the GS800 has more midbass, and the bass is softer and "chewier." Or chocolatier. A lot of people here would call it mud, I guess. It's the kind of one-note bass that has very slow decay, which gives the bass a very subterranean quality that crawls over you. It's certainly a fun experience over the M50 for any bass head.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 41

Quote:
A lot of people here would call it mud, I guess. It's the kind of one-note bass that has very slow decay, which gives the bass a very subterranean quality that crawls over you. It's certainly a fun experience over the M50 for any bass head.

Finally, the dominatrix of headphones..

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 41
Yeah, it can even handle subbass better than any open can I've tried, almost like a closed can. Almost. Sub bass still doesn't work too well on open cans, really need an enclosed space for it to rattle.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 41
Wow. Probably not for me though, I'm no basshead 
redface.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 41
How much did the mods cost you?

EDIT: Still ~$100?? Nice work!

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 41
And I wanted to try your DT150!!! Well we'll arrange a meet for next month no worries. :)

Cost me around $110 all in all actually. I got the SR80i second hand with the TTVJ Flats so that saved me a lot of trouble. But SR80i can be had for a nice price second hand and I think there's no point getting one brand new if you're just going to tear it up and replace its body parts the moment you get it.
gs1000.gif

My total cost for the SR80i plus flats was about $90 US more or less. Around here I'm sure someone could do better. 

The wooden cups and distancers cost me about $20 all in all. We have a local craftsman who does really good work and this is the result. This is his work and he gives us really good prices for them:
http://headphiles.org/index.php?topic=170.msg8268#msg8268

The L660 faux pleather pads were fifty cents. Actually they were free since one of my good friends just gave it to me. 

I've also noted that, if flats are too hard to procure, regular Bowls plus the CDR King L660 pads give about 90% of the bass you get out of the Flats + L660. That said, I think for most people on this site the Flats will be easier to get than the L660 pads. The L660 pads are the real key to this mod, though.

But if anyone is interested in doing this Mod, you'll may spend a little more unless you can make the cups and distancers yourself or source them really cheap (though maybe offset it by getting an SR80i for the cheap). The problem is getting the L660, which probably won't be easy. But maybe you can rummage around the Radioshacks and or even the Japanese dollar stores around your area and find something interesting to use instead of the L660.  

The L660s were just rummaged by a very enterprising fellow over here, practically picked up out of a flea market. I strongly urge people to look around in the most unlikely places for accessories that can be used for their headphone modding projects! You never know when you'll find the perfect accessory for your needs. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 41
Oh yeah, good thing you brought that up. Without any music playing, the isolation is more or less the same as any Grado. But with music playing.... the isolation is really good! I am not entirely sure why, but I can barely hear anything else when music is playing. Normally when using open cans (like normal Grados) I can still hold conversations with people when I'm listening a little softer than my usual listening level (sometimes even at my normal listening level). With these I can barely make out what people say at my normal levels. 

It's still not as good as a nice closed can for isolation, but with music playing I think there is just so much bass that it swamps out everything else. I'm not playing at unlistenable levels, just my regular listening levels (and I don't play loud), but the passive isolation is very good.

Anyway I compared these against some other cans, they beat out all the following at bass in terms of quantity, slam and impact:

K701 (of course haha), HD650, SRH750 DJ, M50, Hippo VB, Hippo Boom, VModa Vibe, Monster Turbines, PL11, Triple.Fi 10, IE8, PX100, DT440, DT770 Premium, HFI 780, SR80, SR60, SR125, SR225, SR325, MS2, MS Pro (using same pads), 

Let us not talk about bass quality and deifnition :)

So far the only cans that I've tested that have more bass than these are the Pro 900 and the MS Pro with Distancers and same pads. I've heard from a friend who has similar mods available that the HF2 with same mods might also sound bassier. I'm really planning to acquire or test against an XB700, any of the Denon 2000 and up models, DT770 Pro, and some other noted bass monsters to see how the bass quantity holds up.

So this leaves me a happy camper. 8)

If you're a bass head and have some Grados lying around I urge you to experiment and try similar things to this mod. The real challenge is getting the L660 pads, but those are the key to this mod. I wonder if CD-R King ships online? Well if you or any of your friends are making a trip to the Philippines maybe you can ask them to snatch you a pair at any of the numerous CD-R King branches over here.

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 41
Wow I really want to do something like this in the future.
What is the size of those cups? They look like the GS1000

And what effect did the L cushion bowls give you?
Wish I had a local craftsman like yours

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 41
Wow great write-up and work. I'm really tempted to try this now. Do you think a modded sr60 or sr125 the same way would produce similar results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back