The $1,000,000 speaker
Aug 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh....... there are so many better things to do with a million dollars. Like learn how to play an actual instrument. Heck, that's free.

No...trust me...piano and violin lessons have already raped my bank account...I'm thinking of adding guitar now...
eek.gif

But that's pretty cool, the guy's brother is the owner of the largest pharma company in Canada..

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No...trust me...piano and violin lessons have already raped my bank account...I'm thinking of adding guitar now...
eek.gif

But that's pretty cool, the guy's brother is the owner of the largest pharma company in Canada..

Take up an instrument that no one wants to learn. My teacher was the best non-professional euphonium player in the country (won the Lenard Falcone award) and I only paid him $20 per week...

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

Yep, very interesting fellow too. I've met him a few times. Having gone to school with his older brother for nearly a decade it was fascinating to interact with a rather humble and not quite poor but certainly not even upper middle-class guy (at least until he practices law again) and then meeting his younger brother worth a few billion, full of confidence, very charismatic etc.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 37
Two-million for speakers? Man! --Don't you guys get it?! The Recession is over, and the Good Times are about to roll-out all over again! True, we should see increasing overall unemployment rates for another three quarters, but something like 250 guys at Goldman Sachs got incentivised bonuses of over a million each this spring! That means that the big boys and the Captains of the Universe are getting back what they deserve, and--before you know it--it's gonna start trickling down! So in just a year-or-three, the squirrels in the nuthouse, and the hamsters on the wheel--folks like me!--are gonna be rolling in the peanuts! I'm gonna put that blu-ray player at Walmart on layaway!

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two-million for speakers? Man! --Don't you guys get it?! The Recession is over, and the Good Times are about to roll-out all over again! True, we should see increasing overall unemployment rates for another three quarters, but something like 250 guys at Goldman Sachs got incentivised bonuses of over a million each this spring! That means that the big boys and the Captains of the Universe are getting back what they deserve, and--before you know it--it's gonna start trickling down! So in just a year-or-three, the squirrels in the nuthouse, and the hamsters on the wheel--folks like me!--are gonna be rolling in the peanuts! I'm gonna put that blu-ray player at Walmart on layaway!

Exactly! This is the ideal time to go into business selling very expensive speakers. At least 250 people will be able to afford them.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 37
Don't forget that its all about the music. Even if you can't afford these mighty speakers, you can enjoy music on even a modestly priced system - you'll just hopefully get more out of your listening pleasure as your system improves.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 37
The closest I've heard to a live performance was the Infinity IRS V speakers in the early 90s (1990 or 1991). Audible Difference in Palo Alto had them on display. One day I walked into the store and heard music coming from the big room. Knowing that some dealers invite live musicians to perform in-store, I thought they were doing similarly. To my surprise, when I walked over to the room it was the IRS Vs playing. This is the ONLY time I've ever heard a speaker system have the same natural, effortless presentation of live music. That being said, I have no interest to buy a pair. I prefer my Sequences.

IRS-V.jpg

Back then they sold new for $50k/set - today that seems like chump change. It's troubling to see mega buck prices being so easily bandied about these days.
confused_face.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 37
There's no doubt it's going to sound incredible. Just imagine how deep and expansive the soundstage will be. It's literally a wall of sound. How it can be integrated into a room will be a real challenge. I suppose you would have to build a room (more like a hall) around these speakers and that would cost you more than a small fraction of the "value" of these speakers.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #24 of 37
When it gets to that point a speaker can only get so good. Yes they may be loud but the actual sound might not be as good as a much more reasonably priced speaker. But you just know someones gonna buy one.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back then they sold new for $50k/set - today that seems like chump change. It's troubling to see mega buck prices being so easily bandied about these days.
confused_face.gif

These $150,000 + speakers serve a valuable purpose. They show all of us plebians who is really important in this world. God forbid one of us common folk might forget our place and try to spend less than the cost of a house to enjoy our music.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Private musicians don't have to be that expensive, either. Sooner or later when I get a decent piece of land, I'll put together a patio with a stage.

You can always find local bands to perform for a few hundred. If there's a college or university nearby, music students are happy to turn up for a few hundred and food to play some classical or jazz.

I think it would be great for parties and gatherings. Nothing beats the real thing and it's also good to support local musicians.

X2. I've seen quite a few local bands that were awesome.

The most realistic speakers I've listened to were the Paradigm Bi-polars (sadly not made any longer). There was a pair for only a couple of grand sitting around in the local hi-fi store back in Australia I regret not being able to afford at the time. With the right source and amplification, they just absolutely fill a room with music as if you are there.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 37
Most expensive I've heard were McIntosh towers (yeah, I didn't know that they made speakers too)...those were $25,000, and worth every bit...

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 37
I had the pleasure of auditioning some of my tracks on the Wilson Alexandria X-2s. I think they're about 130 grand. While the size, impact, and clarity were amazing, they had a bass boost that would drive me bonkers over time.

I don't like to hear real musicians, their treble is too rolled off
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like to hear real musicians, their treble is too rolled off
wink.gif

Classic!

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The closest I've heard to a live performance was the Infinity IRS V speakers in the early 90s (1990 or 1991). Audible Difference in Palo Alto had them on display. One day I walked into the store and heard music coming from the big room. Knowing that some dealers invite live musicians to perform in-store, I thought they were doing similarly. To my surprise, when I walked over to the room it was the IRS Vs playing. This is the ONLY time I've ever heard a speaker system have the same natural, effortless presentation of live music. That being said, I have no interest to buy a pair. I prefer my Sequences.

IRS-V.jpg

confused_face.gif

My friend has the very similar RS1b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back