The $1,000,000 speaker
Aug 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 37
As far as I can tell, that one speaker is like those speaker bars, it pans all the way from left to right. In fact, I have a friend with Infinity RS1bs, which are a similar ribbon/dipole with woofer tower setup (Albeit not as monstrously high end) with a single Audio-research tube amp and 4 18" subwoofers with a Phase Linear amp.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 37
I'll take two...
tongue.gif

Thanks for the link. They look awesome, no question. But the price tag...

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 37
Yeah, I've got a bunch of those around the house. They're good for background music.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not worth it.

If I had that kind of money to throw around, I'd build a concert hall on my estate and hire musicians to play for me.

I meant lottery as in couple of million...not powerball extreme edition super ultimateaffksgrlgm!

But spoken like a true audiophile.

Audiophile definition: Someone who seeks to achieve a musical performance from audio gear as close to the real thing as possible.

"Get the real damn thing then"
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Not worth it.

If I had that kind of money to throw around, I'd build a concert hall on my estate and hire musicians to play for me.

Absolutely! A classmate of mine (or was anyway, he just recently finished his doctorate) is the older brother of Eugene Melnyk, the billionaire pharmaceutical entrepreneur who owns the local arena/NHL hockey team. Anyhow, this guy loves music and he has a decent setup, though I believe I remember thinking that Wmcmanus' system dwarfed Eugene's. Regardless, Eugene was having a rough week in the US and flew back to his estate in Barbados and cranked some tunes. It just didn't do it for him. Well he was in luck! Being the forward thinker that he is, he had an acoustically perfect hall built on the estate connecting to an outdoor one as well (all research done down the street from where I work). He called up his assistant and the next day the Stones were playing a private gig for him and some buddies for a cool $3 million. Yep, the Stones! Just like that, called them up, asked them to play, less than 24 hours later he's enjoying a private concert with his buddies popping back some beers outside on his estate. Totally awesome and an experience no speaker could replicate.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 37
Private musicians don't have to be that expensive, either. Sooner or later when I get a decent piece of land, I'll put together a patio with a stage.

You can always find local bands to perform for a few hundred. If there's a college or university nearby, music students are happy to turn up for a few hundred and food to play some classical or jazz.

I think it would be great for parties and gatherings. Nothing beats the real thing and it's also good to support local musicians.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Not worth it.

X2

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 37
I'm sure they sound way better than anything else, right? Just like the Caliburn turntable sounds better because it's way more expensive than almost anything else? Of course it HAS to sound better because if you spent that kind of money and it didn't you'd be right pi$$ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back