The 007(a,bl,mk1,mk2...) thread
Aug 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 26
I did a similar set of comparisons at the recent Canjam, also comparing the 007mk1 and Mk2(or is that 007A?).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/p...te-art-427266/

Starting with the last first, I found nothing preferable between the Mk1 and Mk2, at least with the Mk 2 using Spritzer's spring modification (i.e. where you flatten the spring inside the cup). Miniscule differences in frequency response, no obvious preference one way or the other.

As regards the HD800, several of the set-ups I heard were not at all impressive. However Headroom's balanced set-up (BUDA?) was impressive and gave the 007Mk1/BHSE a run for the money. However like all dynamics I have heard, there is a residual grainess or raspiness, which I hear almost as a separate sound source. This may be hard to explain, but I seem to hear the instruments located in stereo space and an additional raspy sound located like an instrument itself. It wasn't huge but after many years listening to stats, which don't give this effect, I wouldn't spend the bucks to buy the Headroom set, which is about the cost of an 007 plus 717 ,or more recent Stax big amp. I would nevertheless like to live with this set-up to see if there isn't something else about it I might like.

Like the HD800 experience, several of the K1000's I heard were unimpressive. The best I heard was Mikeymad's (amp I don't recall). Detail and sound quality weren't too impressive but like you I was taken by the concept. I really like the adjustable ear-speaker concept and wish a stat could be made that way. I tried fiddling with some Lambda drivers and discovered that the bass disappears in this type of set-up. I suspect that the K1000 drivers have a massive bass boost to compensate.

If you like their speaker-like, out-of the head quality, you might like the Stax Sigma/404. Stax has been doing this type of design many years before the K1000. The Sigma enclosure saves the bass response of the stat drivers and replacing the stock low bias or high bias drivers and cable with 404 parts gives the Sigma better definition, treble and bass.

As regards amps for the 007, Mikeymad's Singlepower was impressive. However, the new BHSE seemed in a different league of punchiness. However I didn't get a chance to make any side by side comparisons.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been interested of Leben CS300 as an amplifier for K1000. Piotr, can you please elaborate why is is not suitable for K1000. Sounding too smooth and boring? And what is better with SET? Would be of great help when looking for amp because there are so many alternatives.

I also have the three headphones mentioned in this thread (although O2 mk 1) but have not picked any favorite yet and possibly never will. These headphones are very different - excellent all of them - and it feels a little like comparing apples and oranges. Nowadays, I more tend to appreciate different things for what they are and an alternative strategy is to try to optimize a system for each headphone. A little impractical of course, but my mind changes and I don't know how long I will like the current favorite and re-appreciate something I got tired of.

I have still much to do:
O2 - on waiting list for "the amp".
HD800 - burn-in and extended listening, waiting for HD800 connectors to rewire some cables for balanced drive.
K1000 - amp evaluation in a very early stage.

Lebens are good for some slightly “lazy” headphones. K1000 is not. Is quite opposite. With Lebens K1000 is too piquant. Particularly with stock Russian tubes. Obvious recommendation for K1000 is Cary 300SEI. But again not with stock 300B tubes. Emission Labs 300B “mesh” are definitely better. According to Nik the best for K1000 “one box” amplifier is Air Tight 300B, but it is very expensive.
I think, Cary will be fantastic also for HD 800.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #19 of 26
In my crazy system K1000 is simply unbelievable and devastate everything. I definitely prefer them over Omega II Mk1 or Mk2. (Didn’t heard Orpheus and R-10.) I should get tomorrow Grado PS-1000, but I don’t believe it will be better. I know it, because some time ago I did direct comparison. Only chance for PS-1000 is – during comparison it was not heated.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my crazy system K1000 is simply unbelievable and devastate everything. I definitely prefer them over Omega II Mk1 or Mk2. (Didn’t heard Orpheus and R-10.) I should get tomorrow Grado PS-1000, but I don’t believe it will be better. I know it, because some time ago I did direct comparison. Only chance for PS-1000 is – during comparison it was not heated.

LOL - I've learned to be more diplomatic, but I agree, the K-1000 is just sooo much better than the O2, HE-90, R10s in my preference. Awww, I feel liberated. Ok back to be subtle and diplomatic.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you going to build the DC-coupled version of the amp?

I've been on the fence about that, and was leaning towards the AC coupled version. I've looked around to find the PA42, but am not sure where I can source them. A couple places I talked to had huge minimum orders and didn't want to deal with a hobbyist.

If you or someone else knows of a good source, then I'd go ahead and build one. It looks like a serious performance upgrade. I've already got the big transformer from Allied, the tubes, enough aluminum to build a case, and just grabbed a big bag of ceramic tie points at Apex yesterday. If I could get pointed in the right direction for the PA42s, then why not?

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 26
I must admit that I've never even looked into them due to the excessive cost. A Blue Hawaii in a cheap Hi-fii2000 box isn't much more then that DC coupled amp but since you already have most of the parts...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #23 of 26
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. The AC amp will only cost me another $50 or so in parts and should be easy enough to complete. I was thinking about building it so I could get my feet wet with 'stats, then building the Blue Hawaii and selling the AC coupled unit to offset the cost. Most seem to be in agreement that the Blue Hawaii is the best electrostatic amp, so I'll probably end up building one sooner or later.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a similar set of comparisons at the recent Canjam, also comparing the 007mk1 and Mk2(or is that 007A?).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/p...te-art-427266/

Starting with the last first, I found nothing preferable between the Mk1 and Mk2, at least with the Mk 2 using Spritzer's spring modification (i.e. where you flatten the spring inside the cup). Miniscule differences in frequency response, no obvious preference one way or the other.

Did you feel that making modifications to your O2MKII changed the sound? If so how large was the impact?

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you feel that making modifications to your O2MKII changed the sound? If so how large was the impact?

Enough to make the difference between the 007 Mk1 and Mk2 academic, at least for me. It seemed to lower the mid bass and lower treble peak of the Mk2. Some of this is discussed here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/t...estion-381975/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back