The 007(a,bl,mk1,mk2...) thread
Aug 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

GuyDebord

1000+ Head-Fier
After great advice from Blackmore, Kinstaki, Krmathis, HeadphoneAddict and many hours of comparative auditioning the following equipment:

-K1000's with a Manley Stingray and a Leben CS300x
-HD800 with a Lehmann BCL, Graham Slee Solo SRG and a Custom Siemens c3g with boutique components (auriT, alps stepped, WBT, silver wire, etc)
-Stax SRS-007a with a Woo GES maxed with auricaps... and a Stax 007tII

I found the Stax 007a/GES combo superior to the K1000's and HD800‘s in every characteristic except for the beautifully expansive front soundstage the k1000's reproduces and possibly the dynamic volume of the HD800’s .

For my ears, the sound of the stax is the one that gets closer to the sound reproduced in my home hifi rig, transparent, very high resolution, speed and details to die for, plus the bass in the 007a/GES combo flows, it is more natural and precise, tight and with incredible impact, for sure more than the k1000/Leben combo and less artificial than the HD800’s, which in my opinion over emphasize some weird precision that makes them less musical.

One thing that bothered me about the K1000‘s is their wanting to be speakers, this strange factor always made me think of speaker monitors, but they are not quite monitors nor they perform close to them, its almost like their in this twilight zone, in a limbo where they are not headphones, but also they are not monitors... Obviously this is also what sets them apart, and makes them specially unique, their greatest strength is also their greatest weekness... With the Stax combo, I know Im listening to headphones, there is no pretension here, and I feel more comfortable with that since it liberates me from thinking to much about them and permits me to vanish with the music.

What to say about the HD800's... first off, they are screw*ing ugly!!! (I feel bad if someone sees me with them, you look like a power ranger or part of a galactic kids show), they are also super picky and neither of my amps are making them sing, including the fantastic headphone amp of the Leben, it might be that I still need to find a decent amp to drive them, which means another 2k+ expense, and by now, Im very skeptical that the musical rendering would get close to the 007a/GES. However I will try some combos, Im interested in trying out the Phonitor with them, a Cayin and a Luxman.

In the end of this journey, Im only keeping one pair of open cans, thats it, I dont consider myself a headphone collector, so at the moment, the 007a/GES combo is the clear winner as an overall set. I will keep trying to pair the HD800’s and I might dispose of the K1000's soon....

It is important to add that I listen mostly to electronic composition, modern composition, avant-jazz, nu-jazz, electro folk, minimal noise and drone. The musicians or groups played for this really joyful comparative were: Karlheinz Stockhausen, Terry Riley, Bernard Parmegiani, Morton Feldman, Eliane Radigue, Luc Ferrari, Robert Ashley, Tony Conrad, Alva.Noto, Machinefabriek, Sidsel Endressen, Supersilent, Tunng, Ravi Shankar/Philip Glass and Cecil Taylor.

It might be that for rock, metal and pop genres the other combos might perform better, but for orchestra, acoustic and electronic music the 007a/GES combo, to my ears, is the real thing!

The 007's deserve their own thread

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 26
The O2 is an amazing headphone. I have about 10 other headphones in my collection; since acquiring the O2/717 combo about a month and a half ago, those headphones have gotten a combined listening time of 0 seconds (not counting a local meet). I simply don't have a desire to find something "better" because everything sounds so right with the O2. It's not easy to describe, but those who have found their endgame probably know what I'm talking about.

Out of curiosity, what is your speaker rig?

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 26
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, what is your speaker rig?

I have been building this system since I was 24 and now Im 34... 10 years of tweaking pleasure and cash well spent.

SPEAKERS: Kharma CRM 3.2FE -> v/d Hul Inspiration
PRE: Lyngdorf DPA-1 -> Kharma Grand Reference XLR's -> AMP: Halcro MC20
ANALOGUE: Clearaudio Ambient CMB, Satisfy Carbon & Lyra Helikon SL, ASR Basis Exclusive phono pre -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II XLR’s
DIGITAL: Slim Devices Transporter -> Siltech Golden Ridge AES/EBU -> Lyngdorf DPA-1
AC: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Statement(PPP), ASR Magic Cord(ASR), Siltech SPX30 MKII's for the Lyngdorf, Halcro & Transporter
attachment.php

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 26
GuyDebord (& The Society of the Spectacle, of course!),

I agree with you re: the HD800 and the O2. Very good impressions - and hope you have more.

Beautiful system, BTW.................

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 26
Interesting impressions. I've recently picked up the Omega II, Mk. 1 and also own the HD-800 and K-1000. Unfortunately, I haven't listened to the Stax yet - I don't have an amp. I plan to rectify that in the next couple of months by building Kevin Gilmore's all-triode amp. Managed to pick up a few more pieces towards one at Apex Electronics today.

Anyhow, I think you ahould give the K-1000 a try from other amplifers. I've run it from a Conrad-Johnson MV52 quite a bit (push-pull EL34, 45W), but have found bliss running it off a Moth Si2A3 (DHT SET, 2A3, 3W). There's something magical about the 2A3 that communicates through the K-1000. I've also found the same magic through the HD-800 and the Moth.

Maybe I'm just attuned to this amp, but I'd recommend DHT before selling the K-1000 - you might discover the magic you've been missing.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 26
i keep on meaning to do some comparisons between my 800/B52 and O2/KGSS, but everytime i put on the 800 i never get around to it. the 800 itself is nice but after spending some time with it on other amps, i see how much of a huge difference the B52 makes.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting impressions. I've recently picked up the Omega II, Mk. 1 and also own the HD-800 and K-1000. Unfortunately, I haven't listened to the Stax yet - I don't have an amp. I plan to rectify that in the next couple of months by building Kevin Gilmore's all-triode amp. Managed to pick up a few more pieces towards one at Apex Electronics today.

Are you going to build the DC-coupled version of the amp?

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyhow, I think you ahould give the K-1000 a try from other amplifers. I've run it from a Conrad-Johnson MV52 quite a bit (push-pull EL34, 45W), but have found bliss running it off a Moth Si2A3 (DHT SET, 2A3, 3W). There's something magical about the 2A3 that communicates through the K-1000. I've also found the same magic through the HD-800 and the Moth.

Maybe I'm just attuned to this amp, but I'd recommend DHT before selling the K-1000 - you might discover the magic you've been missing.

Dont get me wrong, I think that the K1000's are fantastic headphones/earphones, certainly among the very best... actually, I thought that the Leben combo, more than the Manley, made them sound superb, this amp raised the solidity of the bass, which we all know is the weakest characteristic of the k1000's while increasing the depth of the instruments. However, everytime I put them on, I am wrongfully reminded of speaker monitors, good monitors but not really good monitors, this is very confusing as this perception keeps up popping into my mind as I listen to favorite records (its a bit annoying), as I wrote before, its like listening in a twilight zone... probably this is because I come from speaker-fi... who knows...

I dont have this feeling with the 007a's plus their transparency seems more natural to me, same as with the instruments tonality and human voice, the stax are effortless in rendering complex passages as well as minimal tones, this quality is something I never have experienced with headphones and I love it!!! If I hadnt heard the stax, the k1000's would still be king... The hd800's as I have heard them, rank 3rd or 4th, Im keeping them longer because Im curious of the phonitor and other dynamic amps. If I had to choose now between the k1000's and the HD800's I would pick the k1000 without hesitation.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 26
Thanks for the impression!
bigsmile_face.gif

I have not heard the HD800, but seems like we have similar opinions about the K1000 and O2. The O2 may be the overall winner sound and comfort wise, but it is a real 'beast' to tame amplifier wise. The K1000 is quite amplifier picky as well, but there are a lot more options to choose from.

Amazing looking speaker rig as well!
Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 26
Thanks for the impressions. I think many just fall on one side or the other O2 or K-1000 and just pick their preference (or get both like krmathis). For a time, I wanted to add the O2 to my collection. I loved the resolve and speed, and I heard several setups inlcuding the BH which sounded best to me. The O2s just sounded layed back and I never have been able to enjoy the "stat" sound long term without losing interest (HE-90 included). Not a knock on that sound because I love it, but I guess I just have a dynamic preference even with speakers.

The O2s are great. I would put them second to the HE-90 in my preference for stat phones. Sounds like the O2s are working for you, so congrats for finding your preferred sound!

I think I understand what you mean about the K-1000. I was into speakers for many years before getting into headphones as well. I listen to them with the speakers pretty close to the ear and set back, not in front of the ears like I see some do. This way they sound more balanced (read: more bass) and have the out of head sound without sounding like they are in between monitors and speakers. All audio reproduction is an illusion trying to recreate the original sound, and if they are messing you up and making you think half speaker, half headphone, that's good enough reason to have doubts. Getting an amp that has better synergy wouldn't change that.

Very nice looking speaker set up you got going there. Any problem with reflections bouncing around? Wood floors, glass and bare walls seem to be a tough issue to deal with.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 26
Very interesting impressions, but Leben CS 300 and even CS 600 are definitely not for K1000 and probably not for HD 800 ( I didn’t try.) They are fantastic with AKG K701 and Reference 3A monitors. For K1000, SET amplifier is “this thing”. I also suggest to try Stax with Tara Labs 0.8 or some top Havens Gate interconnects. It will be magical.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting impressions, but Leben CS 300 and even CS 600 are definitely not for K1000 and probably not for HD 800 ( I didn’t try.) They are fantastic with AKG K701 and Reference 3A monitors. For K1000, SET amplifier is “this thing”. I also suggest to try Stax with Tara Labs 0.8 or some top Havens Gate interconnects. It will be magical.

I have been interested of Leben CS300 as an amplifier for K1000. Piotr, can you please elaborate why is is not suitable for K1000. Sounding too smooth and boring? And what is better with SET? Would be of great help when looking for amp because there are so many alternatives.

I also have the three headphones mentioned in this thread (although O2 mk 1) but have not picked any favorite yet and possibly never will. These headphones are very different - excellent all of them - and it feels a little like comparing apples and oranges. Nowadays, I more tend to appreciate different things for what they are and an alternative strategy is to try to optimize a system for each headphone. A little impractical of course, but my mind changes and I don't know how long I will like the current favorite and re-appreciate something I got tired of.

I have still much to do:
O2 - on waiting list for "the amp".
HD800 - burn-in and extended listening, waiting for HD800 connectors to rewire some cables for balanced drive.
K1000 - amp evaluation in a very early stage.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 26
The thing about SET topology, especially based on 300B tubes, is their 8w A class power producing, which makes K1000 sound just right. All I write is pure speculation based on things I have read/heard, so, take it like it is, but been a tube fan for a while now, reading a lot about 300B magic, I am almost sure thats what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back