That hobby is a curse.
Oct 30, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #91 of 157
Wazzzup, I didn't ask you for your preference. I asked how do we tell a cable that affects the signal from one that doesn't? I gave a specific example. I'm looking for an interconnect to link an iPod Touch and a Fiio amp. Give me an example of a cable that drastically changes the sound, and one that passes the signal through audibly perfect please. Tell me how I can tell the difference by looking at the cable's design and/or specs.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #92 of 157
My pfererence is all I have or anyone here has
I can’t comment on your particular interconnects needs as I don’t use iPod or fiio and apple phones are cck restricted. However I use dhc chaperone and spore 4 xlr interconnects that sound fantastic. Again type six silver litz core dampening and shielding...
How you tell the difference is by a/b your old cable or interconnect.

But this thread is how this hobby is a curse and addiction.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #93 of 157
I'm no expert but I understand it well. If a headphone cables impedance matches the impedance of a headphones transducers then this is ideal.
The higher priced cables tend to have better insulation and that's also ideal.
Headphone cable impedance never matches the impedance of a headphone transducers. Ever. And if it did, you'd hate it. Transducer impedances hover in the 30 ohm area, or the higher range of 200+. Cable "impedance" (resistance) is in the fraction of an ohm area, and would not be beneficial to be otherwise.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #94 of 157
My pfererence is all I have or anyone here has
I can’t comment on your particular interconnects needs as I don’t use iPod or fiio and apple phones are cck restricted. However I use dhc chaperone and spore 4 xlr interconnects that sound fantastic. Again type six core dampening and shielding...
How you tell the difference is by a/b your old cable or interconnect.

But this thread is how this hobby is a curse and addiction.
A/B? No, that wouldn't help you tell the difference. You'd need instantaneous switching A/B/X DBT, and it's doubtful many have the physical hardware to pull that off. Otherwise your comparison is sighted and highly biased.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #95 of 157
I was talking about interconnects. That's what is usually silver or copper. Do they not matter? I think you're thinking of impedance matching between headphones and the amp. The cables don't have anything to do with it. Better insulation can't conduct signals better can it? We're talking about cables conducting here. I'm getting the feeling other people might be able to answer these questions better...

To all who know better than Audioholic and I... How does one judge whether a cable will affect sound or not?
Measure its resistance, calculate the response variation based on the impedance curve of the phones.
Does copper vs silver matter?
Yes! Silver is LOTS more expensive. Otherwise, no.
Do more expensive cables with better insulation help?
Only if you plan to run your headphone cable past a high voltage source, and by "better" you mean higher insulation resistance. Otherwise, no.
Simple questions- simple answers.
Hope so. It's just the laws of physics.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #96 of 157
Double blind is ideal but unnecessary. You can hear a difference or not, again I care not what you or anyone here does or doesn’t do. I came for the addiction and somehow this became cable and interconnect talk.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #97 of 157
Cable "impedance" (resistance) is in the fraction of an ohm area, and would not be beneficial to be otherwise.
Not true. Maybe I do know as much as you..
Everything else you said was correct..

To all who know better than Audioholic and I... How does one judge whether a cable will affect sound or not? Does copper vs silver matter? Do more expensive cables with better insulation help? Simple questions- simple answers.

I still know plenty:wink:. It's a very complicated subject and I don't have the time to explain everything in detail.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #98 of 157
My pfererence is all I have or anyone here has. How you tell the difference is by a/b your old cable or interconnect

I've done that with hundreds of interconnects and I've never heard any difference between them. That is why I'm asking you for two specific cables that sound different- one that passes the signal without audible alteration and one that makes a significant change in the sound. Can you help me with that?

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #99 of 157
Well I did, hundreds of interconnects.???

Wow you are addicted and cursed.
;0)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #100 of 157
What two cables? And if I'm shopping how can I know if they will sound audibly transparent?

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #101 of 157
If you don't know just say so. That's what Audioholic did and I respect that.

Edit: Whoops! Audioholic is back.

The question is for both of you. Two specific cables- one transparent, one colored. Tell me how to tell when I'm shopping.

You have a chance to answer a simple question. If you know the answer, please answer. If you don't just say you don't know. Don't dance around the question. It just makes you look like you don't really know what you're talking about. You're in a forum here where people do know a lot about how cables and electronics and digital audio works. If you don't know something you can learn along with us.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #104 of 157
Mark Twain said it best... "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #105 of 157
doesn't sound like a safe place for audio addiction, I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back