That hobby is a curse.
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #152 of 157
I think once people experience the dimishing returns in the summit-fi area that the highest end isn't particularly a large leap, but quite incrimental, and those in that area try the darnest to get that miniscule difference or squeeze out whatever they can from a system(placebo or not), and that behavior is of an audiophile.

For me, this is my biggest gripe with the high or summit - fidelity audiophile areas. While very high end gear can produce an improvement in terms of a placebo or a euphonic effect, it often does not provide any improvement in terms of fidelity and quite often actually decreases fidelity. How then does the same or lower fidelity = higher fidelity or superlative/summit fidelity? It's a nonsense contradiction which really annoys me! :)

G

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #154 of 157
Liberace would drive on stage in a glittering gold Rolls Royce. Under the hood was a Volkswagen engine. The car was a shell that he bought scrap and decorated in mirror tiles and gold spray paint. That's what high end seems like to me.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #155 of 157
Some days my setup sounds better than on others. The only cause for that must be me. My mood, how much I am concentrating on the music, if I am in the groove.

The only thing that has changed over the past few years is the laptop I use, Dell to Sony to Toshiba. Thankfully, my DAC, amp and headphones have been very reliable. According to Spotify, last year I listened to 61,332 minutes of music, or just over 6 weeks. So my kit is well used.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #156 of 157
Liberace would drive on stage in a glittering gold Rolls Royce. Under the hood was a Volkswagen engine. The car was a shell that he bought scrap and decorated in mirror tiles and gold spray paint. That's what high end seems like to me.

and the Rolls was driven by his brother George ...

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #157 of 157
Actually it was his lover Scott Thorson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back