That hobby is a curse.

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by FastAndClean, Oct 29, 2017.
  1. Niouke
    swesko has W60's, I'm so jealous :frowning2:

This hobby is definitely a curse, what went thru my mind when I decided to audition IEM's at Yodobashi Tokyo? I could have bought crappy senn's and be happy with it :frowning2:

2. bigshot
    You're the one who brought up cables, not us. You even helpfully told us about the magical differences between silver and copper.

If this hobby is cursed, it's cursed by people who parrot sales pitch as if it's scientific fact. THAT's what makes people keep doing meaningless upgrade after meaningless upgrade. If they simply took a couple of hours to research how digital audio works, they could buy the right thing the first time and be satisfied with it. They would be able to address problems instead of just buying something else randomly over and over. If you want to learn, you have to be able to set your ego aside and listen to people who might know things you don't. Arguing from ignorance doesn't work too well.

Bye Bye Again!!!

Oops! You're back again! That li'l gopher keeps popping his head up out of his hole! (edit: I just put on my glasses and it's a kitten. I apologize to kittens for mistaxonimacating them)

Buh Bye Again Again! Hope you can muster up the self control to not keep coming back!

What's the most you've ever paid for a cable? Answer that question honestly and we will be happy to let you know if you've been a victim of snake oil or not. By the way... Welcome Back!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    ev13wt likes this.
  3. WoodyLuvr
    Witch! Burn the witch! :deadhorse:

4. ev13wt
    This burning needs to stop. Not talking about double hi jalapenos.

5. swesko
    i'm selling if you want them :)

6. bigshot
    I love my system... and I use it just about every day to watch movies and listen to music. Right now, there's nothing I feel I need to improve upon, except perhaps creating a few more preset calibrations.

ev13wt likes this.
  7. FastAndClean
    "what if" will come, give it some time

ev13wt likes this.
  8. gregorio
    Ah but with some knowledge, many/most of those "what ifs" can be dismissed on the grounds that they are effectively; what if the laws of physics are wrong, what if I am not a human being or what if magic really does exist?

G

ev13wt likes this.
  9. FastAndClean
    not in that hobby when new things come up daily

10. gregorio
    Why not?

G

11. bigshot
    Well I had to buy a new remote because the old one isn’t supported any more. I guess that counts.

12. ev13wt

Well now, magic certainly exists! :frowning2:

Remote eh?

Pfff. Real gear has no remotes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  13. castleofargh Contributor
    skepticism is me using doubt to protect my wallet.
    insecurity and curiosity are the marketing people using doubt to get my wallet.
    in the end it's hard to know enough to never doubt. we can know so little that we never doubt, but I don't wish it to anybody. so we're left with a choice on how to handle doubt.

there is also "buy what you need", but the concept of need can be pretty lax when life is easy ^_^.

ev13wt likes this.
  14. wormcycle
    When I grow up I want to be like you, I am 66.

15. ev13wt
    So there is still time.

Strangelove424 likes this.