(thanks to Mulveling) a slew of impressions on Qualia 010, MDR-R10, and ATH-L3000
Oct 28, 2006 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
All right. So Mike (mulveling on Head-Fi) graciously leant me some of his time and his hospitality earlier today to give me a chance to listen to his great collection of high end dynamics. His collection of top of the lines is as follows: the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000, the Sony Qualia 010 and MDR-R10, and the JVC HP-DX1000. I would consider the former three firmly in the top spots; the latter is more in the neighborhood of the current production Sennheisers, Beyers, and AKGs, IMO. Keep in mind I listened to these generally with three genres each: classical, hard rock, and pop, so I'm not going to be able to give you full-blown reviews, but I think I got a decent view of what each of these are capable of.

First up was the Sony MDR-R10. Gave it a spin on classical first, then rock later. This was a very interesting one. I expected it when I saw it to be circumaural in the sense that your ears go inside the pads and they're cupped by them; not so. In actuality, it's more like they're just very big, VERY soft supraaural pads that cup your ears by way of the pressure from the headband. Still very, very comfy, though; second only to my very well worn in HD570 in that department. About on par with the SR-007, maybe a little moreso because these pads were more well worn in than the newer OII pads. The build quality of course was absolutely superb as well. Sonically speaking, the only thing I could possibly fault it for was a lack of bass impact. It wasn't missing any as far as amount is concerned, though. It was very detailed, very balanced, and had a great soundstage; you simply wouldn't know you were wearing a closed headphone if you simply heard the sound. I can see why a lot of people consider it the king; it reminds me a bit of the AKG K701, only with a more neutral midrange, and definitely more detail and bass. I told Mike that, surprisingly, I actually really liked these through rock, despite the fact that they did indeed shine more on classical music, and I'm sure by extension, acoustic stuff.

The ATH-L3000 was next. These fit quite similarly to the R10, actually, though not as comfy. They were also smaller than I expected, having seen the W5000 before, which is much larger. Again, excellent build quality. Even the wings had very nice leather on the undersides of them. They're also better looking in person for sure, as many others have said. I could tell Mike was protective of these, since he owned two pairs, as well as a set of spare drivers, and a rumored extra set of said drivers (hopefully) on the way. As far as the sound is concerned, I can definitely add to the list of those who think these are very, very bassy. What I can't add to is the list of people who think they're rock 'phones; I actually liked them better on the Hilary Hahn CD we played with them than the Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium, one of my favorite albums period. Where they really shined, though, was pop: Mike put in an 80s Madonna CD, and they were absolutely fantastic with it; the bass complemented the music perfectly. Couldn't have picked a better 'phone for the job. As far as the overall sound signature, I did find the mids a bit recessed, and I think this would've kept me from their overall enjoyment on much of the music I listened to. They were still fairly resolving, though, and the bass was fabulous for the right kinds of music (i.e. pop).

Next was Sony's Qualia 010. I just want to declare to the world: they fit me just fine, right out of the gate! Of course, I preferred the sound a LITTLE more when I pressed the earcups to my head a bit tighter, but it wasn't a 'make it or break it' change. They were a medium, for the record. Just like everyone says, these are fabulously detailed. Subtle nuances and all that. The highs are sparkling, without being harsh. I'd also like to say once for myself (and for all to read): these are NOT simply a better MDR-SA5000; they're a different league entirely. The bass on these things really is incredibly present. For some reason, since the detail is so heavily focused on, no one really talks about the bass, but there is a lot of it! I think these would go great with any well recorded rock. Something strange going on with the soundstage, though; it didn't quite feel as enveloping as I would've liked it to. It's hard to explain, but most headphones just have this, and the Qualia somehow didn't. No one else really talks about this enveloping, big feeling but me, though, so maybe it's just some crazy thing I have. Aside from that, they were really world class.

JVC HP-DX1000 was last, an afterthought, really. Figured it'd be a good idea for me to give it a listen to get more opinions out there. The short version, since I really didn't give it much time, is that it's definitely an audiophile grade headphone; great build quality, very light, VERY comfy, pretty looking, good sounding. They don't specifically lack anything, except that they sound a bit closed (whcih is expected of MOST closed headphones anyway), and they've got a major midbass hump which I found to be just a little too much for me. I'd rate them as a $300-400 headphone, not the higher prices they go for normally. But they're certainly not bad by any means; no reason to fear them simply because of their brand name. Also, it gives me confidence and encouragement that their next offering will be even better, so I'd stay tuned.

(p.s. Mike, I'm pretty sure I left my hat at your apartment--let me know if you spot it).

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 19
Congrats man - each of those cans deserve 3 weeks of exclusive listening to really appreciate what they're each good at.... enjoy your time with them!

Best,

-Jason

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 19
Looks like you've more than made up for missing the last meet at his place. I'd love to hear the Qualia and R10 someday, to find out the real deal on them.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Congrats man - each of those cans deserve 3 weeks of exclusive listening to really appreciate what they're each good at.... enjoy your time with them!

Best,

-Jason

Yeah. I was expecting to hear something like that. I figure it can't hurt to describe generally what I heard, though. I suppose I should state for the record that I definitely don't claim to be any sort of remote expert on these headphones simply because of a short listening session with each.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Yeah. I was expecting to hear something like that. I figure it can't hurt to describe generally what I heard, though. I suppose I should state for the record that I definitely don't claim to be any sort of remote expert on these headphones simply because of a short listening session with each.

Well you can authoritatively say the L3000 has a lot of bass.
basshead.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 19
I completely agree with you about the Qualia's bass, which is sooooooooo good. Even if Sony's claim that it reaches 5Hz is an exaggeration, the cans do go as deep as I've ever heard, yet the mid-range and HF are not muffled because of the bass either. This is why I consider the 010 to be "neutral" even though it has a terrible treble spike, which isn't harsh with the right equipment.

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
I completely agree with you about the Qualia's bass, which is sooooooooo good. Even if Sony's claim that it reaches 5Hz is an exaggeration, the cans do go as deep as I've ever heard, yet the mid-range and HF are not muffled because of the bass either. This is why I consider the 010 to be "neutral" even though it has a terrible treble spike, which isn't harsh with the right equipment.

I was listening through an SDS, and there was definitely nothing in there I'd call terrible.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 19
Wow...lucky you. How many souls had the pleasure of listening to the greatest dynamic cans of our time. The way you described Qualia...you peaked my interest now, more than L3000.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 19
Meyvn,
Excellent impressions, thanks for posting them! Sorry that call from my ex put a damper on my mood in the last minutes. Yep, you did indeed leave your hat here, on the R10's case no less. PM me your address and I'll see if I can't get it shipped back to you in a couple days. You're also welcome to come back to pick it up
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Meyvn,
Excellent impressions, thanks for posting them! Sorry that call from my ex put a damper on my mood in the last minutes. Yep, you did indeed leave your hat here, on the R10's case no less. PM me your address and I'll see if I can't get it shipped back to you in a couple days. You're also welcome to come back to pick it up
biggrin.gif

I'll PM it to you, but there's certainly no hurry; I'm just glad to not have lost another hat (hats and watches don't seem to like me much). 's cool about the thing with your ex. hope her visit went well and all.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn

Heh, not at all - I thought the impressions were particularly astute for initial thoughts. It's pretty clear you've been listening to a lot of different things since you first got those K 701
wink.gif

Best,

-Jason

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Heh, not at all - I thought the impressions were particularly astute for initial thoughts.

Ya, me too. Nice impressions, Meyvn (and well said, Jason).

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #13 of 19
Argh, another golden opportunity missed, though granted, I was out of town until this afternoon. Great impressions though, you are a very lucky dude indeed. We should organize another big Atlanta meet and get all the heavy-hitters in the area together. BTW mulveling, do you still have your HP-2's?

Aditya

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 19
My test CD for highs is the Stabat Mater recorded by Claudio Abbado (Deutsche Gramophon). With the Qualia, the highs are exactly as you describe them, sparkling but not harsh !

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Mevyn, thanks for the comments, they make a nice addition to Mulveling's review.

ps, regarding the new pet peeve in your sig: I'm one of the guilty parties on that mark, but I started doing it on purpose when I realized that people got confused about model names if you leave the apostrophe out. I realized this while writing a post comparing K240ms with K240ss. I feel like the apostrophe is the lesser evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back