Thank god for head-fi: dumb forums
Apr 8, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Just a few questions:

* How many forums have community gatherings (like our headfi meets) on such a frequent basis, with so much cooperation, with no ties to "religious activities" ??

Lots of car club forums have meets. I'm heavily involved in a lot of legal automobile racing (mostly track and autocross). generally, what you notice is forums dedicated to a specific model of car have more than their share of nuts. Forums dedicated to a specific sport - like an autcross club forum, are more grounded by serious members who know their stuff, and know it well, so natural selection eventually weeds out the people who dont belong there, like your generic 19 year old e-thug racer wannabe.

Quote:

* How many forums have "trust-based" transactions like HeadFi...loaning gear (often very expensive) and allowing people into your homes?

This is new to me. I can't believe this happens, although I can relate to the philosophy. NONE of the automobile related forums have cross country transactions like this, unless members know each other personally. I've seen far too many kids rip others off to trust car forum trasactions completely. I've made several great friends on those forums too though - when I go down to the US where they live, I've always got a place to stay, and I extend the same to them.

Quote:

* How many forums have the sense of "belonging" that HeadFi affords...

I'm new here, but I can sense what you're saying just by browsing. The only other place I've seen this sort of thing happen was back in the day, when I used to hang out in some computer hardware overclocking forums. Although, right now, a lot of professional computer programming forums have this sort of membership, albeit for much different reasons - mostly because that sort of a forum is more a tool to get work done than to socialize or for the sake of a hobby.

Quote:

* How many forums have members who call each other up, email, pm to discuss stuff like working out, weather, advise, suggestions...

You guys do this? Wow.

Quote:

I really cannot imagine too many other communities that have these positive features...most of them have morons trying to do a one-up on the next guy ALL the time...

Is HeadFi unique?

You're right - not many others have this, although these features can be found in private cliques that exist within other online communities - even automobile related. My "home" car club meets all the time for beer and wings, at the race track, or just gets together occasionally and goes for cruises. Some of my best friends I've met at these online communities. So yes, all this and more does exist in other open membership online communities. Perhaps a better way to generalize is that *not as many* nuts that try to one up the next guy end up at a place like this - and this is probably due to the fact that audiophiles are a rare, dedicated breed... much like serious automobile racers.

I'm hoping to meet more of you eventually once I get a local meet going.... lets see how it works out
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #32 of 55
I'm not sure the playing video games for 36 hours is any worse than spending a couple thousand dollars on headphones. When people are passionate about something they tend to be a little eccentric. I mean yeah I don't understand car people(I drive a stock camry and it gets me from point A to point B) or counterstrike people.. but is what they do so different from us burning in cables?

As for the level of conversation. Head-fi is in a class of its own. A majority of members here are so respectful and intelligent.. I've seen nothing like it online.

Also oftentimes you'll find even forums which are not on the level head-fi is will have their intelligent people. For instance, I've been playing subspace/continuum (beginners.subspace.net, premier.shanky.com) for 10 years now. There are so many "my life is pathetic but I rox0rs online" people there but there are also quite a few who I would call my close friends.. and several who I have visited and had wonderful times with. I guess I'm saying as long as you keep true to yourself(whatever your interest may be on whatever forum dedicated to that interest) you'll find people who you can converse with at a high level.

That being said, when I discovered the little bow wow forum 4 or 5 years ago I read it straight for 2 days laughing until I almost cried. Haven't been back since but just thinking about the stuff there still makes me laugh.

m

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #33 of 55
i guess there's something about the joy of listening to music via headphones that establishes a good foundation for discussion...

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #35 of 55
^ 4 1/2 years later. Well done digging up this thread and bumping it.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #36 of 55
Man, I was reading this, thinking it was a new thread and all of a sudden, I see krmathis's post and check the date!

What is up with the sudden onslaught of thread necromancy in the last couple of days?

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is up with the sudden onslaught of thread necromancy in the last couple of days?

sudden wave of nostalgia brought on by impending doom (2012)

wink.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I was reading this, thinking it was a new thread and all of a sudden, I see krmathis's post and check the date!

We're running out of topics.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry About Your Wallet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're running out of topics.

Almost seems that way. 95% of the threads are about the latest portable gizmo that will be replaced by a hotter new portable gizmo in 6-8 weeks.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #44 of 55
what grinds my gears is trying to debate a point online, and the utter failure of otherwise intelligent posters to follow simple rules of debate, and employing ad hominem attacks, strawman arguments, false dilemmas, etc., putting me to the tiresome task of explaining how to debate correctly.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #45 of 55
Wow I was fooled by this revival as well. I have to agree that Head-fi is a pretty nice place. However, I haven't had any problems with the few PC gaming and tech forums I regularly visit, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back