TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex?
Oct 26, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #32 of 49
Bass volume. I'd say they are pretty similar to the T5p in all respects. Better to my tastes than the T1. I have not heard the Edition 8, but I did hear the Edition 9 and 10 at the meet and thought they were terrible.

My top 5 setups of the meet:
1) 52) Boulder 1021 CDP, Ray Samuels A-10 Thunderbolt, Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus
2) 69) Boulder 1021 CDP, Ray Samuels Darkstar, Audeze LCD3
3) 51) Boulder 1021 CDP, Ray Samuels A-10 Thunderbolt, HE Audio Jades
4) 38) Boulder 1021 CDP, Ray Samuels Darkstar, Hifiman HE-6
5) 50) Meridian G08, Ray Samuels B-52, Sennheiser HD800

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #33 of 49

Quote:

Well, if you search in old threads, the T50RP and Tesla T1 both received quite a negative reception.

"nothing special" and "joyless" I recall.

I'm interested in some more detailed impressions on the TH900.

I didn't realise the HP-A8 makes users backup their SACD's to SDHC cards, that's interesting...

I think you recall incorrectly. Both are highly regarded. If you're suggesting there is a consensus on Head-fi...then you must be in the wrong place.

Just have a read of the original T1 threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/440799/beyerdynamic-to-launch-new-top-headphone-at-ifa-called-t1

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owners-club-appreciation-discussion-thread

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #34 of 49

Quote:
I think you recall incorrectly. Both are highly regarded.

This is the review I was referring to - http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-tesla-t1/reviews/3651

However, I noticed you posted a positive review 11 hours before that one, so I stand corrected. =P

As for the T50RP, there was a really old thread somewhere saying this:

"Hey, have you heard about the new Fostex T50RP something?"

"Yeah I tried it, really muffled and bad"

"Oh ok then, LOL, what a POS"

etc.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #35 of 49
etc.

Probably discussing the non modded T50RP. Mids are good but quality treble and bass don't make an appearance until modded.

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #36 of 49

Quote:

This is the review I was referring to - http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-tesla-t1/reviews/3651

However, I noticed you posted a positive review 11 hours before that one, so I stand corrected. =P

etc.

For any and every headphone you will find a few that don't like them. Even your SRH-940s.
wink.gif

The threads I provided have hundreds of very positive feedback.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #37 of 49
x-post from the impressions thread of Tokyo 2011 Fall Headphone Festival ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/577893/tokyo-japan-meet-at-the-fujiyaavic-2011-autumn-headphone-impressions/15#post_7857306 ):

Fostex - HP-A8 D/A+headamp, TH900 dynamic closed headphones:
  1. First attended the unveiling with explanations about the designs (info here HP-A8 to launch at CanJam @ RMAF and here TH900 to launch at CanJam @ RMAF ). Some bits and pieces I remember below.
  2. The headphone membrane is made of bio-cellulose (bactery based not vegetal) which gives a much small fiber size. Didn't understand the benefit soundwize but that's a Fostex original since the mid-80s or so.
  3. The headphone enclosure is finished in same lacquer process as traditional Japanese laquerware (urushi). So, it basically looks a million bucks.
  4. Premium leather and all, the finish of the headphone is indeed really special.
  5. Price is a worry, JPY150,000. Not sure, but this may be the most expensive Fostex headphone ever and much more expensive than their previous designs for Denon for instances (D7000).
  6. I briefly listened to the headphone through the HP-A8 with J-pop music I am unfamiliar with. I wasn't moved but nothing jumped at me as wrong, would have to use my own music and gear.
  7. The D/A+amp was more exciting for me: same AKM DAC as high end Esoteric gear, all discrete output stage and headphone amp, DSD capable from SD card (AND from mac / pc USB via firmware update after initial release next january), compact and awesome look, 32 bits / 192 capable for the USB input (natively on mac, custom driver for pc)
  8. The D/A is priced very competitively (much more than the headphone imo) at JPY100,000.
  9. The listening was too brief and not my music / headphone so cannot judge soundwise.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #39 of 49
I can't wait to see/hear these HPs.  Just from the pictures they look so beautiful.  I was considering getting the Denon D5000s or D7000s, down the line, but may wait for these instead. 

I showed the picture that's in my avatar to my wife, and she asked if I would still be interested in the HPs if a guy was wearing them?  Of course I told her I didn't even notice that a girl was wearing them. LOL!

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #42 of 49
LOL I dont get it. Did not Fostex at the show in Denver say these would be about 1200-1300. Where does this new price come from? Its whatever they can charge now. there is no more real value. Scary when you can buy Fostex drivers for full range speakers for about 100.00 bucks. I think it is insanity to support this stuff IMO.How can anyone justify spending 2K after they told everyone they would be in the 1200 range. Am I missing something here
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #43 of 49
They told me at RMAF they would retail for $2000.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #44 of 49
wait what? $2000? I thought the Lcd-2 I have where worth the $$ but, all this $2000 and $8000s for a pair of headphones is getting extreme. These better be the worlds new #1 headphone for that kind of price. as for the $8000 art work cans? dont get me started.

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #45 of 49
The consumer is as much  or more to blame for high prices. Some truly love the HD800's (for instance)  while others buy them as status symbols. When I used to install custom home theaters, many clients could have spent 1/4 the price and got better sound, yet they insisted on products with insanely high prices and very subpar sound. 

I'm curious if the new denon line will sound better, although probably not as visually attractive to many, I always thought some tweaking could make the 7k's a great can.  As far as sound, like  the old headfi saying goes, if you put 4 headfiers in a room, they'll come out with 5 opinions.  As far as technology goes, it's always going to be more imortant how the technology is applied, than the technology itself, that's an unchanging absolute IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back