TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex?
Oct 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 49
Apparently they just release the product page for it... From what I read it will be named as Fostex TH900 and released in Jan. 2012, featuring 1.5 Tesla flux density 
blink.gif
 (gimmick? what's the Tesla density of Beyer T1 again?...) Also there's an interesting Headphone DAC + amp combo named HP-A8. They said it will be "groundbreaking" and it is their "top model". Looks really promising as Fostex has been showing us their capability of making top-of-the-line amplifiers.

http://www.fostex.jp/news/199 The page is translatable by Google Chrome.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 49
The amp is really nice looking.  I believe they have a big time DAC coming out too.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 49

Quote:
Didn't mean to use a "fancy name". Since Fostex is famous for their ortho-dynamic transducers, I referred to the proper terminology (with a spelling mistake though sorry electro-dynamic, indeed commonly referred as simply "dynamic") because I thought "dynamic" was misleading...

Nice, I've been curious about a more specific term.  I sometimes say "conventional dynamic" but that's kind of meaningless.  Electro-dynamic it is! 

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #21 of 49

Quote:
The amp is really nice looking.  I believe they have a big time DAC coming out too.

Isn't the DAC and headphone amp the same thing? At least from the quick glance through the following, the DAC shown here isn't too shabby ( 4fdebb67.jpg ) !! BTW, anyone knows if it's common / possible to extract a dsf file from a DSD recording on an SACD layer?

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #23 of 49

Quote:
http://www.gizmodo.jp/2011/08/sacd.html

Thank you, that'll be good japanese practice :wink:. Haven't checked through yet but the title suggests this is actually a method of ripping the content so it's basically unauthorized hack isn't it? I guess then this feature of the fostex dac/amp is intended to recording professionals who have raw data in dsf format from their dsd recording system. I was hoping for some kind of HDMI input to decode dsd feed from a universal player, maybe it's still possible, I will be talking to Fostex in couple of weeks!

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 49

Quote:
Apparently they just release the product page for it... From what I read it will be named as Fostex TH900 and released in Jan. 2012, featuring 1.5 Tesla flux density 
blink.gif
 (gimmick? what's the Tesla density of Beyer T1 again?...)

Well, from what my intro to electrical physics course has taught me: Since the flux is the amount of charge passing through a conductor (Flux = electric field * Area), my guess would be that flux density is the amount of electric field passing through each unit area. Now, This could be flux from the magnet on the coil, or from the coil on the magnet, although I suppose they might be equal in magnitude. Now, this is just a wild stab in the dark, but the greater the flux density, the faster the diaphragm might be able to be accelerated, since it would experience a greater force per its size. Faster acceleration of the diaphragm would/should equal more transparency because there would be a faster decay rate, since the diaphragm would change frequencies faster....This is all just me making guesses and inferences, so if someone who knows could tell me how it actually works, I would be grateful.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #26 of 49

Quote:
Thank you, that'll be good japanese practice :wink:. Haven't checked through yet but the title suggests this is actually a method of ripping the content so it's basically unauthorized hack isn't it? I guess then this feature of the fostex dac/amp is intended to recording professionals who have raw data in dsf format from their dsd recording system.

In theory, yes, one should not rip copy-protected files from SACD's, DVD-A's and BD-Audio, but the reality is people are ripping these discs to hard drive and use USB DAC's to listen to the files.

FOSTEX apparently realized that there are more than 7000 SACD's that people can rip to hard drive and hence the DSD files playback can be quite useful...

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 49
Heard them at RMAF and wasn't impressed especially after I was done listening and he told me the price. Detailed impressions later when I get home/tomorrow.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #29 of 49

Well, if you search in old threads, the T50RP and Tesla T1 both received quite a negative reception.

"nothing special" and "joyless" I recall.

I'm interested in some more detailed impressions on the TH900.

I didn't realise the HP-A8 makes users backup their SACD's to SDHC cards, that's interesting...

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #30 of 49
Forgot about this one.

Maxvla said:
53) iPod, Fostex HP-P1, Fostex TH900
Nice balanced sound. Bass has good punch. Volume is ok could use just a touch more. Nothing bleeds. Mids are good but slightly recessed. Highs are very clear. No sibilance. Highs sparkle but aren't hot. This is nice. Stage is medium. Center focus is good not great. Imaging is average. Most sounds feel like they are grouped at 10 and 2 with only vocals in center. Vocals are nice but could be better. Fit is very comfortable. Not heavy, no clamp. Cable is one of the best OEM I've ever seen. Kind of a woven cloth. Could easily recommend.

This was all before I heard the price. These still sound good just as my notes say, but my recommendation is not strong now. There are better options at this price. I wouldn't blame anyone for liking these, but I would question their money decisions. A guarded recommendation here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back