TF10 Flip Flop MOD and what i found.
Feb 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #16 of 42
Sorry but I don't get this.
Last year I somewhat studied my TF10 for same "theory" if they really went into wrong polarity by flipping the cable. I came up with a result that saying that it would not happen.
Today I became another time unsure so I hook up my own multimeter for just double check this.
Simply what I did, I identified the pins that went to "ground" and then marked the same side of plugs with a small piece of tape. Then I plugged them onto the earpieces as you normally do (L/R facing the nozzle) and marked the same side of the earpieces with tape. Then I had an clear straight indicator of where I had the polarity at normal state. (Side with tape is where ground go into and the other side left/right channel.)

As last thing I then flipped the cables over and to surprise I still had a straight line of tape on each earpieces. This tells that the polarity never goes reversed unless you face the letters away from the earpiece.
Tested with both stock and Enyo cable.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 42
L/R on the cable should be facing out, away from the nozzle or facing the back of the monitor

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 42
Just tried the suggested setup (with the cable labels facing the opposite side).

To my ears...they sound just the same.

Am i missing something here?

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 42
Just tried the suggested setup (with the cable labels facing the opposite side).

To my ears...they sound just the same.

Am i missing something here?
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 42
Oops...double-post. Sorry. The net connection here seems buggy. :p

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 42
TRIPLE!

anyway some people could hear the difference... with the L/R facing inwards it makes everything sound harsh, well to me.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #23 of 42
To me I hear a clearly difference when I switch the direction. Try reverse the one channel only and then compare. Think that's the best to tell out if you do or not.
wink.gif

To me facing the letters outside, the sound getting less in your head with tad less bass, maybe yeah a bit more harsh if I would call that. Why you guys says the opposite, I don't know.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeFFz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L/R on the cable should be facing out, away from the nozzle or facing the back of the monitor

Grab a multimeter and check it again. It should be facing inwards. It's enough if you check the cable, both the L and R ends supposed to have the same layout( if you put down L and R in front of yourself while the sign is facing you, the left/right pins should have the same function, ground or a channel), they are NOT mirrored, meaning they are directly interchangeable. It might be you like it better when its phase is shifted, but that's not the proper way.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly does this mod do? I don't quite get it. Just flipping the cable will make it sound better? Is there another thread that talks more about it?

You just plug the right earpiece into your left ear, and vice versa. Of course, if you want to retain the left/right channels, you need to swap the cable endings as well. Just be careful when plugging out/in the cables, don't break it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #28 of 42
Hi all, this is my first post in Head-Fi. I've been reading this forums for a while now.

I tried the mod with my TF10vi and found the following conclusion:

1. Cable inwards: sound stage is larger, but bass is not pronounce anymore. I basically like the sound stage and the treble but bass is really missing.

2. Cable outwards: lower frequency and mid is more define but sound stage is less.

It would be really ideal to have the sound stage of the inwards and the bass and mid of the outwards.

Might be worth it to try it with my PA2v2 once it arrives. If it gives enough bass with inwards cable then I think that will be the best solutions.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #29 of 42
I really can't discern any palpable difference with the cable-facing-outwards setup and the usual cable connection. Maybe my ears aren't that sensitive to such nuanced change in the sound signature. Based on what I heard, they just sounded the same. Haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaibautista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really can't discern any palpable difference with the cable-facing-outwards setup and the usual cable connection. Maybe my ears aren't that sensitive to such nuanced change in the sound signature. Based on what I heard, they just sounded the same. Haha
smily_headphones1.gif

You should try Sayajin suggestion. If you invert only on 1 ear you'll know the difference. I like the idea of the mod but I found the original setup suits me better, enough bass and soundstage is wide enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back