Texas Meet (Saturday, March 10th, 2012) [Location Inside]
Nov 14, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #46 of 615
I guess you are kind of in between Dallas and Austin.. but man, that is out there!

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #48 of 615

Quote:
Ill be down to go if its in Austin. Would be my first meet!

Also... anyone know any headphone shops in Austin to check out headphones?

Audio Systems is a Grado dealer, the only brick and mortar hi-fi shop in Austin with regular business hours.  http://www.audiosystems.com/

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #49 of 615
We should really just put a list together. I know there's a few most people around here would know nothing about. Whetstone, Audio Systems, Pyramid, etc.

Quote:
Audio Systems is a Grado dealer, the only brick and mortar hi-fi shop in Austin with regular business hours.  http://www.audiosystems.com/

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #52 of 615
I'm interested. Would prefer Dallas as I'm in Oklahoma City. As far as venue, you might check out libraries like we did in Dallas. It was perfect. Room for 20-25 people to display comfortably.

Who knows what gear I'll have by then.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #53 of 615
I like the library idea I might go scouting for one with a large area available soon. 

I'm really hoping to have my Apache by then...

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #54 of 615
Interested.
Coming from SA, Austin is about the furthest I'd go.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #55 of 615
Library idea gives me a thought. If again we have no place in austin or dallas, my local library is actually usually very generous. They have 2 or 3 meeting rooms with a large table in the middle and a good number of chairs. The rooms themselves are very high tech, with nice tvs and even projectors. These rooms are usually free, however if we had 25 people idk how it would go. Might be able to get 2 rooms. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #56 of 615
The room at Parr library in Plano (Dallas) was about 50x50 with a kitchen and bathroom right next to the room. Just for reference for those searching for rooms. This is a great size for our level of meets. Can probably squeeze 25 with displays from each, 30-35 if some don't have gear.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #57 of 615
Might be worth checking into. Are the rooms free? If so id imagine thatd work well. Although it may be good for us to have a password if were meeting in say a library, just so no random guy comes up and thinks, hmmm those IEMs look expensive, maybe i should keep them. Or would that be a pain? Haha just a suggestion. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #59 of 615
I'm interested, and would be coming from Dallas.

I'm a complete noob -- although, in some ways, I don't feel like so much of one since I've been reading head-fi for months now.  (I totally get the "sorry about your wallet" cracks, even though I haven't spent anything yet.  The future looks a bit ominous on that front...)

On the gear front, though, I'm definitely a rookie.  I wouldn't be able to contribute anything, and my entire motivation would be to a) listen to a number of phones that I'm interested in and thereby be able to better differentiate than I can from my couch reading head-fi..., b) get some perspective on amps (portable, desktop, would my Yamaha (or a Marantz) receiver do a comparable job, etc.?), and c) generally pick your collective brain.

It's possible I might be able to contribute an (unamped?) AKG K550, presuming it has actually been released by then and I've received mine.  Not sure how interesting that might be to the crowd in attendance, although the K550 thread seems to be fairly active.

Others that I would be interested in contrasting side by side would be the K701, the P5, the D2000 and the K240/271/272, as well as the E7/E9 combo, which looks interesting to me.  (Schiit and Little Dot comparisons would be a bonus.)

Apologies in advance if contributing nothing at a meet is outlandish etiquette.  :-/

--monty

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #60 of 615
Nah, don't sweat it, Monty. We'd love to have you. Most people don't look or think differently of a new Head-Fi enthusiast who is fixing to wreak havoc upon his own wallet. In fact, we kind of feel bad for you and your unsuspecting wallet 
biggrin.gif
 What Marantz model do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back