Test yourself: What frequencies can you hear?
Jun 13, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #31 of 114
I find it hard to believe anyone who here can hear above 20khz. You guys sure it's not a placebo effect?

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #32 of 114
16: 20KHz

(17 this Saturday!)

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #33 of 114
I can hear 21kHz pretty clearly. At 22kHz I might've heard something but the volume's really low so I'm not sure.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #34 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
Don't be too sure about hearing the higher frequencies with this test. This is an mp3 compressed 44.1 khz sampled file - it really should be sampled at 96khz to be a decent test. According to sampling theory, your need a sampling rate that's a minimum of 2x the frequency being sampled. That's a minimum. Higher is better. if you do the math 44.1 is not enough to even minimally cleanly capture a 25khz tone.

You'd really need to generate the tone at 96khz, listen to it on a 96khz capable soundcard that doesnt downsaple (i.e. ASIO or Kernel streaming, and not via a creative audigy of any generation), headphones that extend above 20khz, and the rest of your audio chain would need to handle > 20khz as well.

I can clearly hear all the mp3 tones posted here upto 25khz, listening at about 74db measured with a sound meter, but I'm not certain at all that these mp3s are actually playing back a clean 25khz tone.

I will test later with a tone generator.

Agreed. I'm listening to a tone generator in SONAR 4 at 96 and 24 bits and I can hear up to 19.5khz. Everything beyond that I can't hear at all past just being a strange feeling in the ears.

Mind you.. This is just all a bit of fun.

EDIT: After using a real tone generator, and then listening to those .mp3's I can assure you that those files are very wrong. I could hear up to 25 khz.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
Don't be too sure about hearing the higher frequencies with this test. This is an mp3 compressed 44.1 khz sampled file - it really should be sampled at 96khz to be a decent test. According to sampling theory, your need a sampling rate that's a minimum of 2x the frequency being sampled. That's a minimum. Higher is better. if you do the math 44.1 is not enough to even minimally cleanly capture a 25khz tone.

You'd really need to generate the tone at 96khz, listen to it on a 96khz capable soundcard that doesnt downsaple (i.e. ASIO or Kernel streaming, and not via a creative audigy of any generation), headphones that extend above 20khz, and the rest of your audio chain would need to handle > 20khz as well.

I can clearly hear all the mp3 tones posted here upto 25khz, listening at about 74db measured with a sound meter, but I'm not certain at all that these mp3s are actually playing back a clean 25khz tone.

I will test later with a tone generator.

LMAO! Sonance, how right you are! these files cannot POSSIBLY contain any sound whatsoever above 21 kHz at best. At 1/2 the sample rate frequency (in this case 22.05kHz, 1/2 of 44.1 kHz), you would get hideous aliasing tones.

So what you all have said you "heard" at 25kHz is just quantization noise. I wondered how anyone was hearing 25kHz, since this shouldn't really be possible. You were fooled. You heard something, but is sure wasn't at 25kHz tone.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 114
I can hear every sample up to 25kHz too easily. There must be something wrong with the test... I don't remember hearing much above 19kHz with the NCH Tone Generator.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #38 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
I find it hard to believe anyone who here can hear above 20khz. You guys sure it's not a placebo effect?

Yeah, I think it might have been for me. When I took the test an hour or so ago, I was absolutely sure I heard 21KHz and maybe 22 Khz. Now, I'm not so sure. I can hear 20KHz fine, not 21 KHz.

PS: Is anybody's ear ringing after hearing the lower frequency files? Mine did and maybe that's why I thought I heard 21KHz.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #39 of 114
I hear up to 17, but I hear sounds that sound higher than that in nature, and I'm wondering, what is the frequency response of the Shure E4 I'm using?
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #40 of 114
I heard a 19KHz tone in Firefox while other music was playing in foobar, no prob. I didn't hear anything at all when I played 20K and 21K tones (in foobar, quiet background). I am not sure whether my receiver just cuts them off at the 20K point or not, so I'm not voting.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #41 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I can hear up to 21,000Hz. At 22,000Hz I can't hear anything.

that's me too. 21, clear as a bell and still pretty loud. 22? not a sound.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #42 of 114
This is a neat article but it is very inaccurate. Fist of all the recordings are not good...there is clearly more than one frequency present. Then there is the equipment factor. Also I would argue that most people can not hear over 20,000 and some people saying they can hear 25,000 8 people (at this time 8%) saying they can hear 25,000, but no one saying they can hear 22-24. Does that not seem odd to anyone else. Are those 8% really hearing the flaws in the recording and not the tone? But maybe those 8% have golden ears and that is the root of why they are Audiophiles
rolleyes.gif
?

By the way I heard 19/20 but it is hard to tell what is noise from my computer and what is the tone....but wait...my golden ears hear hissing...yea I hear 25,000....I new I had golden ears
wink.gif
!

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #43 of 114
well you can still toss the high and lows, the 15k and 25k, and you still have a bit of folks above 20k (small sample so far but oh well). It was mentioned above that the tones aren't the same "notes" which is true, but folks should still tell the diff tween "notes" and static if they're honest with themselves. 21K definitely has a clear tone to my ears - it's so funny how 22K just isn't there at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back