Test yourself: What frequencies can you hear?
Jun 13, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #61 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I don't understand what you guys mean by placebo, you either hear it or you don't, if your mind is making some kind of sound up, you have some serious problems. I already stated before everyone started posting about this test being bull, that I believed this test was highly inaccurate but I did hear the sound coming out that is supposedly 25khz, whether it is or not who knows, but it's not like people here are making sh@t up to make themselves look good. Just because you don't necessarily hear it doesn't mean it gets classified as placebo and everyone who said they heard it are classified as liars.

What I mean by placebo is that I can hear it, but it's so on and off that I'm no longer sure if I'm hearing it or imagining what it is sounding like.

In any case, I really doubt this many people can even hear over 20khz. 20khz is the average hearing threshold for undamaged hearing. If people have experienced anything that may damage hearing in any way, (and I'm sure people have unless they've lived in a cloister your whole life) it's quite unlikely that they can even hear 20khz, let alone anything higher than that. Makes you think if the people who are hearing 25khz have such virgin ears that they have never mowed a lawn, or at least heard a lawnmower (or something of equivalent volume) for more than 30 minutes.

I think when frequencies are that high, the tone is no longer accurate, and may be higher or lower on different equipment, because the diaphram is no longer accurately playing the tone and/or the enclosure of the headphone is vibrating at a frequency that induces sound.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #62 of 114
I go by this: If you feel pain or feel irritated, then you can hear it. If not, then you can't hear it.

At 18, I can feel my ears starting to explode - it hurts. But at 19, it's like a dog whistle. I can't hear it.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #64 of 114
I can hear the state changes in my computer's processor.
wink.gif

Actually, my audiologist tested me out to 23,500 KHz. It's been holding steady for the last several years.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #65 of 114
How the people know that they can listen beyond 20KHz? since this problem allow me only 20 KHz..

Anyway, this problem is very good, much better than crappy Nero Wave editor.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #66 of 114
I can clearly hear something at 25000 also. It's not placebo. The sound is easily distinguishable next to pure silence, though a very subtle difference. It may not be the tone creating this difference though, but rather impurities in the encoding? It almost sounds like it might be.

Between 19000 and 20000 speaks to me with great familiarity. During the day, I'll occasionally cringe at random because I seem to "hear" a very high pitched sound out of nowhere that very closely resembles the sound of 19000-20000. Do you guys feel this ever? It's not a frequent occurance. I could never describe it very well, but it feels very similar to the awful reaction I get from 19000-20000. I've always wondered if it's some airplane or piece of powerful electronic equipment that periodically causes a very high pitch sound. -_-

EDIT: I abstain from voting, because I don't feel like being persecuted for "lying." So I'll go ahead and try to mold the statistics to your expectations.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT#2: It's actually easier for me to hear all frequencies with crossfeed on. But all of them are still clearly audible even without. Having the crossfeed, no crossfeed, and silence distinguishes the sound to even more certainty.

EDIT#3: With Audacity I can hear clearly up to 20000, but the program doesn't seem to go above it. And Audacity is much more clear than those MP3s.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #67 of 114
I didn't know that we have at least 22 dogs here at headfi (summing the results of the poll of which can hear from 21kHz to 25kHz).

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #68 of 114
At 21 years old, I can only hear up to 17000... Looks like I need to turn down my music a bit...
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #69 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
At 21 years old, I can only hear up to 17000... Looks like I need to turn down my music a bit...
frown.gif

it's quite normal, don't worry.

Most people here are hearing spurious for real tones... (or are dogs).

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #70 of 114
I know we are all guilty of skipping posts, but guys, Sonance was right -- it is MATHEMATICALLY impossible for the samples on that test to contain ANY tones above 21kHz! Impossible. Go back and look. So whatever anyof you are hearing in the higher frequency samples is just aliasing, sidetones, and quantization noise. That test will never be able to test hearing at all above 20kHz, even if the rest of the test were perfect (which it ain't).

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #71 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I know we are all guilty of skipping posts, but guys, Sonance was right -- it is MATHEMATICALLY impossible for the samples on that test to contain ANY tones above 21kHz! Impossible. Go back and look. So whatever anyof you are hearing in the higher frequency samples is just aliasing, sidetones, and quantization noise. That test will never be able to test hearing at all above 20kHz, even if the rest of the test were perfect (which it ain't).

QUOTE!

and boys... I'm worried about you if you are not able to distingush aliasing and noise from a pure sine wave, c'mon...

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #72 of 114
19khz.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #73 of 114
In that test, I can't even hear the 20khz.
I'm basing my answer on the results of testing with my audiologist.

*woof!*

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #74 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
I
Between 19000 and 20000 speaks to me with great familiarity. During the day, I'll occasionally cringe at random because I seem to "hear" a very high pitched sound out of nowhere that very closely resembles the sound of 19000-20000. Do you guys feel this ever? It's not a frequent occurance. I could never describe it very well, but it feels very similar to the awful reaction I get from 19000-20000. I've always wondered if it's some airplane or piece of powerful electronic equipment that periodically causes a very high pitch sound. -_-

I've experienced this as well. It just goes on and on for that few sec/min. Can be irritating.
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #75 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I don't understand what you guys mean by placebo, you either hear it or you don't, if your mind is making some kind of sound up, you have some serious problems.

This is absolutely wrong. Placebo effect is a well-documented and very real phenomenon. When you have a hearing test done at an audiologist, they seat you in a soundproof room with your back to the tester, so that you have no visual or aural feedback from the tester at all during the test. There is a reason for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back