Test yourself: What frequencies can you hear?
Jun 13, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 114
Cranking the volume up will introduce even more second order noise on top of the signal, if you need to crank it to hear it, you arnt hearing the test tone.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 114
Can there be possible hearing damage done if listened too loud? A warning should be given out, much like the old thread about clipping test.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #18 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteShadow
Does the volume matter?

I can hear up to 17,000 Hz on a low volume, but I can hear it all if I crank the volume.

Yes, I think that would defeat the point of the test since it's to see if you can hear these tones so you know when you're listening to music and you never will crank up the volume to high levels while listening to music.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 114
I can detect a sound at 19 kHz, but it doesn't sound very loud. I didn't have to turn up my volume control though. I could easily hear 18 kHz and lower, but I heard nothing above 19 kHz.

I was surprised at how high I could detect pure tones, considering I'm 46 and have worked in power plants since 1989.

But as for the teen buzzer samples, I couldn't hear sample 1, but I could hear sample 2 easily.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 114
Heh. Love how many people are being mislead by this.

So many with golden ears all of a sudden.

Edit: Sorry for the jerk tone, but this kind of stuff just irks me.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 114
Alright I played one of my tunes to get my normal listening volume(about vol 15 on the iaudio x5). I have taken the test again and I can hear all of them. The first few test tones were irritating to say the least.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #22 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25

I don't think anybody is taking this too seriously... it's just for some fun.

~ Brett

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #23 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25

I wasn't lying if that's what you mean, but whatever, you can think what you like.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 114
For reference, I'm 19 with moderate to severe tinnitus (and no, I don't think it's from loud music.) I could hear up to 17,000 with my amp knob in it's normal listening position, and up to 21,000 as I steadily crank the volume up to max.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #25 of 114
I'm not sure these test tones are entirely accurate. I can't hear the 17000 test file, but if I open up NCH Tone Generator, I can hear it just fine. 18000 I can also hear just fine, then 19000 and 20000 aren't aubile as notes anymore, I can only feel that they're there.

For refence, 16000 hz is the frequency of the highest note on the organ, the high C of a 2' stop (I don't think 1' stops go higher), which would be the sound produced by a 3/4" pipe!

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 114
Accurate or not, I'm curius to see a general consensus so this is now a poll. So let's see it!
icon10.gif

~ Brett

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 114
All human ears are less sensitive at frequencies that high, so you will have to turn them up some to hear them. But that still didn't help me with 21kHz.

I regularly test my hearing on my speakers with the Stereophile test CD, and there get basically the same result.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #29 of 114
I wonder what effect the time of day has on this?

I've been reviewing the Jayes prototype IEM and lately Ive noticed, my perception of treble changes dramatically depending on the time of day.

Its 7:pM and at moderalte-low volumes I can hear clearly up to 15k, 16k is still audible but about "half" as loud. At 17k, I cant distinguish the difference between my soundcard hiss and the fundamental tone itself.

Garrett

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 114
Don't be too sure about hearing the higher frequencies with this test. This is an mp3 compressed 44.1 khz sampled file - it really should be sampled at 96khz to be a decent test. According to sampling theory, your need a sampling rate that's a minimum of 2x the frequency being sampled. That's a minimum. Higher is better. if you do the math 44.1 is not enough to even minimally cleanly capture a 25khz tone. With a 22khz sine wave capture at 44.1 khz only two sample points are captured to generate either the upward or downward curve of a sine wave. Try and visualize that - you can see how rough it would be. At 96 khz you actually have a few more sample points so that a DAC can do more than guestimate what the output analog waveform should look like.

You'd really need to generate the tone at 96khz, listen to it on a 96khz capable soundcard that doesnt downsaple (i.e. ASIO or Kernel streaming, and not via a creative audigy of any generation), headphones that extend above 20khz, and the rest of your audio chain would need to handle > 20khz as well.

I can clearly hear all the mp3 tones posted here upto 25khz, listening at about 74db measured with a sound meter, but I'm not certain at all that these mp3s are actually playing back a clean 25khz tone.

I will test later with a tone generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back